collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Focal Plane scopes for hunting  (Read 8989 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
Re: First Focal Plane scopes for hunting
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
I think a 4.5-14 would be perfect. For hunting scopes, I like to get the Leupld CDS scopes and just keep a MOA dial on there. The other option is to get an S1 turret from the Leoupld custom shop. They're smaller than an M1 turret but offer an adjustable dial. Plus you don't have to send the scope in to get them installed; just order it up and they ship it to your door so you can throw it on the scope.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
Well, just purchased the rifle today.  From what I am reading, sounds like a second focal plane will be the way to go.  Now I have to decide on how much power / zoom I need.  Planning on making this rifle a 600 yard rifle....so maybe a 4-14 or 5-20 ish.   How do people like the higher power scopes 5-20 ish??  Never had anything bigger than a 14 power which has usually been great plenty.

I just find this funny :chuckle:  Not to disparage you or anyone else using high powered scopes (myself included) but it is funny that most people consider 14x the absolute minimum for a 600 yard big game rifle. I always felt (good quality) open sights were plenty out to 200 yards and  3-9x was plenty for anything 0-600 yards. The overall magnification of scopes has gotten so high and 6x magnification factors are just crazy and make a scope good for brush out to 800 yard prairie dogs.  One of the things I have always disliked about the higher power scopes was the high lower end. Most of my rifles are used in brush where I want 3-4x max and also open alpine where you can see game way further than you can shoot.

That said I wish I had pulled the trigger on the 2016 vx6 4-24. The price increase for the 2017 really pissed me off and I had been wanting to try a Sig anyway.

I agree with Yorketransport that something in the 4-14 range is perfect for a hunting rifle for use up to 600. The Leupolds with the CDS are great too. I like the AR Model scopes for lower pricedscope and can get mil-dot reticle.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »
I just brought home a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 from Cabelas, it's FFP and is going on my CZ 527, this will be my first real experience with FFP.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
Well, just purchased the rifle today.  From what I am reading, sounds like a second focal plane will be the way to go.  Now I have to decide on how much power / zoom I need.  Planning on making this rifle a 600 yard rifle....so maybe a 4-14 or 5-20 ish.   How do people like the higher power scopes 5-20 ish??  Never had anything bigger than a 14 power which has usually been great plenty.

I just find this funny :chuckle:  Not to disparage you or anyone else using high powered scopes (myself included) but it is funny that most people consider 14x the absolute minimum for a 600 yard big game rifle. I always felt (good quality) open sights were plenty out to 200 yards and  3-9x was plenty for anything 0-600 yards. The overall magnification of scopes has gotten so high and 6x magnification factors are just crazy and make a scope good for brush out to 800 yard prairie dogs.  One of the things I have always disliked about the higher power scopes was the high lower end. Most of my rifles are used in brush where I want 3-4x max and also open alpine where you can see game way further than you can shoot.

That said I wish I had pulled the trigger on the 2016 vx6 4-24. The price increase for the 2017 really pissed me off and I had been wanting to try a Sig anyway.

I agree with Yorketransport that something in the 4-14 range is perfect for a hunting rifle for use up to 600. The Leupolds with the CDS are great too. I like the AR Model scopes for lower pricedscope and can get mil-dot reticle.

When you get older eyes those higher magnifications are sure nice.  I used to hit baseballs at 400 with a Leupy 3-9 but at 60 Im thinking that 7-42 Leupold mite be the ticket for 1000 yards!  The VX6 do have a big field of view.  Even at 7 power very useable at 100 yards plus. 

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »
I've got a few lrhs and lrhsi's and I like that reticle design for hunting. The lrhsi is awesome being illuminated, but I prefer the 3-12 over the 4-18.

Offline Marcus

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
correct me if I am wrong but arent illuminated reticles illegal in WA or have I missed a rule change?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »
Ordered the new Athlon ARES FFP 4-27 mil scope to go on a backup 300wm replacing a Shepherd scope.   Looking forward to comparing it to VX6 and VX3L. 

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
correct me if I am wrong but arent illuminated reticles illegal in WA or have I missed a rule change?

Yep, you are wrong. On scopes the only prohibition against electronics are a visible projecting beam used for an aiming point.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »

Yep, you are wrong. On scopes the only prohibition against electronics are a visible projecting beam used for an aiming point.
Modern rifle is pretty much free rein in the electronics. You can even use those fancy digital scopes that read wind and range then self adjust the reticle. As long as it projects no beam onto the target your pretty much golden.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]