collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are bipods very useful for hunting?  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Are bipods very useful for hunting?
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »
I just bought a tikka t3x today in .30-06 and I'm super super excited to shoot the thing and also hunt deer with it next season. My question is, are bipods really that great for hunting deer? For all of you who have bipods do you find yourself using them all the time in the field? I'm not sure if I should purchase one because that's more money that I could use for other hunting stuff that I need this season. I'm thinking I need to just practice without a bipod to see how my shot is.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Are bipods very useful for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
Depends on the hunting style.  For the reprod and old growth on the westside I think they are more trouble than they are worth.  For the high hunt, they can be great.  I suspect they are effective on the eastside of the state.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »
I carry a "kneeling height" extending bi-pod in my pack. When I'm sitting/waiting/watching I'll get it set up to correct height and my rifle resting in it.  Really steadies my rifle for whatever range of shot. I feel a whole lot more comfortable having it especially in those situations where I'm already set up sitting down waiting for something to pop out.

I've tried attached bi pods to my rifle but just the smaller length prone ones. I like my rifle lighter, and don't have my situations that I've been in to shoot an animal prone.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
I was able to shoot prone on an antelope one time, every other time was kneeling, sitting or standing. I keep a set in my pack and attach em when on a stand, I'll leave em on if I'm just hiking to a glassing spot on the Eastside cause it's easier.
Overall I think they are important pieces of kit. Off brand Amazon ones are usually good enough to try em out and see if they are for you, I've got a pair that's 4 years old and still works fine, just not as refined as some of my others

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »
The shorter "Harris" type bipods are worthless where I hunt but some of those taller ones would be nice if you want to lug around the weight.  I find if you have time to set up bipod you probably have enough time to find a tree or stump to use.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
I just carry the Primo trigger sticks, that double as a hiking pole.  Those work fine.  Or logs, deadfall, etc. have worked fine as a gun rest.  Depending on your terrain.  Honestly, most of my shots on game have come using a stump or deadfall as a rest.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »
The shorter "Harris" type bipods are worthless where I hunt but some of those taller ones would be nice if you want to lug around the weight.  I find if you have time to set up bipod you probably have enough time to find a tree or stump to use.
:yeah:
They get heavy. Don't get a cheap one. The tall Harris ones will let you shoot sitting or kneeling. No expert but my answer would be "sometimes".

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
i have the 9" harris that extends to 18" i think. i hunt the east side, lots of open country. last 3 years i've taken 5 mule deer over here and 4 were shooting prone locked in on the bipod. i find mine to be a very valuable piece of equipment and you get used to the weight. it all boils down to personal choice, every hunter's rifle and gear is personalized to what they like. see if you can borrow one from a buddy or someone and give it a go.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »
I have an 18" bipod on my 30-06. I've used it more times than not when I get a buck. It's also handy when setting your gun down. Like a guy said above you will get used to the weight. I broke one one day, so I took it off for the next day. It drove me nuts not having the extra weight, or the kick stand when setting it down. I bought a new one before I went out again......i love mine.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
I prefer shooting sticks
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
Westside I've never used them prefer tree or steady sticks for longer shots.  Open space East its pack or bipod. 

My new Leupold 4 oz carbon fiber quick attach one should arrive tomorrow.  Attaches with a magnet. 

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
I have the 6-9 Harris Bipod. It's useful if you make it useful. When I post up high I usually setup so I can take prone shots.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline trapp01

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
I use a fixed Harris 13.5" to 27". I mainly hunt eastern wa so most shots are sitting or kneeling or on my belly.  The 13.5 gets me above the grass and if I need to get higher I'll extend it. Out of 10 deer, I've shot 8 of them off my bipod. I'd say I've come to rely on it. it comes second nature as soon as I see an animal, the bi pod comes down.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:44 AM »
I use a fixed Harris 13.5" to 27". I mainly hunt eastern wa so most shots are sitting or kneeling or on my belly.  The 13.5 gets me above the grass and if I need to get higher I'll extend it. Out of 10 deer, I've shot 8 of them off my bipod. I'd say I've come to rely on it. it comes second nature as soon as I see an animal, the bi pod comes down.

I've shot my last 4 deer from same height Harris bipods but have found the swivel base to be very helpful. 
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »
Shot a nice buck last year while using a bipod. It made for a rock solid rest, which was nice because I was getting a little excited by the time I got a shot. If I was hunting the west side I probably would not use one as much. East side or high country I would have one.

That Leupold looks a lot like the Javelin bipod I have.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]