collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are bipods very useful for hunting?  (Read 10491 times)

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Are bipods very useful for hunting?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
I have several, but prefer to use my pack. A good day pack with frame stays can be a tall, short and everything in between rest in seconds.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »
Shot a nice buck last year while using a bipod. It made for a rock solid rest, which was nice because I was getting a little excited by the time I got a shot. If I was hunting the west side I probably would not use one as much. East side or high country I would have one.

That Leupold looks a lot like the Javelin bipod I have.

Same thing - re-branded but with Leupold warranty.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
I have been using Stony point Pole Cat Shooting Sticks for over 10 years. They are light, extremely packable and expandable from 16" - 38" and double walking sticks on long hikes.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-reg-Pole-Cat-Shooting-Sticks/1615721.uts?productVariantId=3503661&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03689771&rid=20&gclid=CKmMjY6ZytMCFQx6fgod0skEdQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
Anyone use the Atlas bipod?  I really don't like the price but do like the idea of the lack of back tension for controlled recoil.  really like the pivot and cantor motions. 

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
Another vote for shooting sticks. Might matter where you are hunting. If you are in real open country maybe but for me (west side hunter) they would be worthless. I always have to shoot standing to get over the brush and shooting sticks are ideal for that. I leave them extended and they double as a walking stick.
I never used them for years but now that I have them I wish I had had them a long time ago. Hard to find a rest with the low stumps you see now and they help me make shots I couldn't make otherwise.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
Ive had a Harris and a versa pod before on a couple of my rifles. MOST of the time they sit in my pack or off the gun. never actually taken an animal using a bipod. However Ive had them on my guns for hunting areas where I know a shot may exceed 200 yards. they are nice to have in that case but the added weight gets to be a pain if your not just posting up somewhere.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
It is very rare to find me in the field hunting or shooting varmints w/o a Harris Series S bipod attached to my rifle.

We have a couple of Harris Series S swivel bipods, two of them are 25S and the third one is an S-BR that is 6-9 inches.  I have probably shot north of 25,000 prairie dogs off the older of the two 25S bipods.  I have shot elk and deer off it as well. I have had it since 1992.   

The S-BR is mostly used for kids when shooting off our shooting benches.  Much easier for kids than a front rest & bags. 

The 25S can be a tad bit high (but usable) at it's lowest point for prone shooting, but it is what I find most usable because of the ability to shoot sitting or kneeling over grass, brush and other obstructions.

THE KNOCKOFF's ARE ABSOLUTE JUNK. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:41:26 AM by JDHasty »

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
I have found a set of shooting sticks or trekking poles to be more useful than a bipod when I am in country that could present me with a long shot.  If i.am in the timber I don't take anything but the rifle.  I used a bipod one season and it seemed to make my rifle feel front heavy and affected my shooting negativley.

Offline Edward Cullen

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:50 PM »
I have a Harris Bipod. It is a great bipod.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:42:11 PM by Edward Cullen »

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:51 AM »
judging by what i see on facebook, you'd think it's a necessary item, along with a sling that holds 20 rounds of .300 magnum, and a 56mm scope.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »
I have the Harris 9-13” pivoting bipod on my .300wsm. Used it to shoot deer and Elk East and Westside. Only time it comes off the gun is if I am hiking thru reprod or timber where I know the shots will be close.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
I used my daypack for decades.  I've had shooting sticks (collapsible, shock corded in a belt sheath) for 10+ years and a Harris bipod for a few.  I've used them all and been glad to have them.  However, my thick stuff gun is an open sights M94 .30/30, and have taken a fair number of fast moving whitetails at close ranges that way.  It just really depends on where and how you hunt.  None are "must haves" in my opinion, they can be added over time if you have other gear needs. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »
I have never used a bi-pod, but have considered it. I carry shooting sticks in my pack and have used them many times. Most of the animals I have killed have been inside 200 yards, and could have done without them, but they're nice to have when the opportunity presents itself.

The way I see it, I don't want the extra weight attached to the rifle full time. If the animal is far enough away that I need that support to make the shot, I probably have enough time to get my sticks out. Not always obviously, but often. If the animal is close enough that I don't have time to get the sticks out, I probably don't need them anyway.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
I thought about I‎t this year when i went on my Montana antelope hunt. Bought sticks instead. Didn’t even get to use them, layed down and used my pack. Not sure about the added weight

Offline ADBuck24

• Pilgrim
    • Adam Buck
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
I grew up hunting in AZ where it is mostly spot and stalk style hunting. I always had shooting sticks or bipods. If you don't want to spend much money then I can tell you how to make very cheap shooting sticks that are very light and quiet. I will never buy shooting sticks again because these work so well! Pm me for more info

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]