collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are bipods very useful for hunting?  (Read 10494 times)

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Are bipods very useful for hunting?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
true it depends on where you are hunting but i never take a shot without a rest and most of the time on bipods either sitting or prone.  I have not take a shot on anything over the last dozen years not on bipod.  and well lets just say i have done a lot of killing

So yes they are quite useful and a necessity.  I have harris  but also carry shooting sticks if i need height but most of the time the harris bipods are just fine.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
It depends on where and how you hunt. If you're in a spot where you can set up wth a bipod they're definitely helpful. I don't use one because I don't like having extra things attached to my rifle and I don't want the weight on it. Most of the places I hunt it's not hard to find a good rest, or I use a set of shooting sticks. For under 150 yards I'm comfortable & proficient wth using the sling while standing or sitting. Do whatever works for you.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 08:27:38 PM »
Buy one, try it. If you don't like it, don't use it????

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
For long range I prefer bipods. Shorter I like trigger sticks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 10:58:39 PM »
I love a bipod. Easy to set gun down when needed for rest periods. And have shot a lot of animals using a bipod both east and west side. A good rest for more hunters would bring an added amount of success in the field. Some people lack taking the time to make a good rest and have a pore shot because of it. That being said there are a lot of options on how to get a rest in the field whether its a store bought item or natural rest. For me its a always have item just in case the situation calls for it. I even use one on muzzleloaders and can say it has even helped tremendously there during the right applications. I have used shooting sticks to and they are extremely helpful also but i always seem to wack them on things causing noise. I am a pretty good shot and practice out to 550 at the range. Max my hunting situations out at 400 under the right conditions. But most of all what I'm trying to say is most of us get excited under the conditions such as buck fever and having a good rest can be the difference of bringing that trophy home. What ever you decide shoot straight and good luck on your hunting adventures.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
Too much to get in the way, just my humble opinion.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
I use the Harris s25c. Often shooting from a sitting position on a hill side. They are heavy but so is my rifle.   I rarely ever leave home with out it on my rifle
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »
I have a bog pod ,but I always thought that was the hood of the truck was for, :chuckle: :chuckle:,you know a tree ,rock,log,off hand,use what God gave ya in God's country,or I'm just to lazy to carry it. :chuckle: :tung:,kids use the pod a lot for target practice or sight in .
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »
I just bought a tikka t3x today in .30-06 and I'm super super excited to shoot the thing and also hunt deer with it next season. My question is, are bipods really that great for hunting deer? For all of you who have bipods do you find yourself using them all the time in the field? I'm not sure if I should purchase one because that's more money that I could use for other hunting stuff that I need this season. I'm thinking I need to just practice without a bipod to see how my shot is.

I think the standard composite stocks are a bit floppy for a gun mounted bi-pod, and make the gun harder to shoulder sling  :twocents:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
You can purchase a short rail adaptor for any rifle, most mount to your front sling swivel on any rifle and still have means to attach your sling. You then purchase a throw lever quick release mount that attaches to your bipod. Carry the bipod in the side pocket of your hunters orange vest if need be and only attach it if you need it. Where I hunt, I always leave my bipod attached. Due to the fact we are shooting them out far enough they don't even know we are there and have all the time in the world to set up.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]