collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Drew four out of five bear tags...  (Read 2702 times)

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Drew four out of five bear tags...
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
Two for Long Beach and two for bear river. I know bear river (my tag) and wanted to get my wife and brother an opportunity (Long Beach).  Not sure if we can even access Long Beach gmu though...  any pms... on any access of any kind for this spring bear hunt would be greatly appreciated. The firearm restriction won't be a problem but there's a lot of different owners for the one timber patch that looks huntable?  All different timber farms. Is there walk in only access off 101 to the right before Long Beach?  Thanks for any help anyone can offer. I can offer info on any of the units I've been to from Idaho or wa. Just hoping they get a chance to hunt at all.   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:45:38 AM by DIYARCHERYJUNKIE »

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
Re: Drew four out of five bear tags...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
Nothing, no one...?  All of the timber companies are out of state but I'll keep trying to call. No answers yet.  Got what numbers I can from the parcel map.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:43:25 AM »
So we found some public access for my wife and brother.  Not really much room but they'll give it a go. Thanks to a member I could probably get access to some private for them too. 

I went into bear river yesterday and when I got up top I seen truck tracks down a 1/4 mile spur road that the end of was clearly visible...  first thought was hounds... I go back down to a feeding area I like and right before I walked out I hear a dog barking. There's a road above me and the dog was only 150 yards or so. Barked for ten minutes in the same spot. Then stopped. It only sounded like one dog but, wish I had known hound hunters would be in there. I'm not mad at the hound guys. just wdfw for selling special permits that happen to have hounds running the gmus. Let the spring special permit holders get a chance to see what's in there before the contract killing starts.  They should have to advertise they allow a banned form of hunting at the time your permit is eligible and are doing contracted killing at that time.  Walking out with my area blown up I could only think one thing, I Wish they'd allow hounds in Washington state for sport.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:48:21 AM »
Some others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of timber companies use hound guys for hazing the bears. Not sure if they kill them or just run them out. I also believe the timber companies will bait/feed bears to attract them away from specific areas.
I've only read about that stuff happening on this forum, so I may not be accurate.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
I was told by a property manager of Campbell Group that one reason they bait in spring is to actually concentrate the likely hood of peels to a tighter area. I explored the trails in a half mile around a barell last year ( no tag, just exploring) and saw more peels in a small area than i saw everywhere else.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

Some others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of timber companies use hound guys for hazing the bears. Not sure if they kill them or just run them out. I also believe the timber companies will bait/feed bears to attract them away from specific areas.
I've only read about that stuff happening on this forum, so I may not be accurate.

I've talked to people who had hounds and did the timber permit contracts. There's also video or two of some members baiting for a timber company and killing the bear. All the meat, hide and gulls are surrendered if killed.  Thought I heard a shot before the dog but it wasn't where the dog was and wasn't a rifle.   :dunno:  hey if they're running dogs bear will be moving more...

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
Sounds like a no brainer. Hunt around the barrels. :dunno:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »
I was told by a property manager of Campbell Group that one reason they bait in spring is to actually concentrate the likely hood of peels to a tighter area. I explored the trails in a half mile around a barell last year ( no tag, just exploring) and saw more peels in a small area than i saw everywhere else.

I seen no peels and was glassing for dead trees.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »

I seen no signs of baiting. Just hounds.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »
Next time try and talk to these hound people,if they are hazeing bears they might be glad to see someone with a tag,maybe good info on last seen bear,maybe help you out,wink,wink. :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
Doubt they risk their permit privlage to have me shoot a bear. But I'm sure they'd tell me we're the high active areas are. I was on the low road and they didn't drive it. Maybe I'll see em if I'm back down there. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »

The way I thought I understood it works in Kapowsin, for example, is the bait barrels are in areas that are closed off to hunting to pull the bears out of the areas they want to minimize damage. Also the same areas where they allow hunting. Bait barrels are in the no hunting areas.  Again, I might be wrong.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »

The way I thought I understood it works in Kapowsin, for example, is the bait barrels are in areas that are closed off to hunting to pull the bears out of the areas they want to minimize damage. Also the same areas where they allow hunting. Bait barrels are in the no hunting areas.  Again, I might be wrong.
Pretty sure you are correct, I remember years ago seeing those bait staitions, very nasty!   It was like a dog kennel that never got cleaned.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
Not sure if hankock uses bait, but I seen no closed areas through my travels. All the usual gates are there, with the same sign. I'm gonna call and find the days they are running dogs maybe I can avoid them. Or maybe an area they don't go.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]