collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Make sure what you are shooting at is a turkey  (Read 10664 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Make sure what you are shooting at is a turkey
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
All your prejudices about your fellow West side hunters aside, these guys were stupid to use that hunting method and all it took was one mistake by the shooter to seal the deal. If you want to hunt with a fan in front of your face, by all means have at it. Literally, I wouldn't be caught dead doing that.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline tgomez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
There is no excuse for shooting someone EVER for ANY reason unless lives are on the line.
First IDENTIFY your target before raising your firearm and keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and only point it at that in which you are willing to destroy. Keep your finger off the booger switch until your ready to fire.
Anyone who shoots another human being should be banned from hunting for LIFE and brought up on criminal charges.
The whole thought of it pisses me off to no end.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing this is has turned into an actual discussion here. 

Yes, of course, the guy that pulled the trigger is ultimately responsible and at fault.  But the other guy is still shot.  Is being in the right (or less wrong) in this sort of situation worth the chance of a peppering?  Or worse?

It's simple risk management.  Sounding like the thing people are trying to kill is elevating your risk factor. Looking in some part like the thing people are trying to kill also elevates it. Combining the two compounds risk beyond the sum of the two, in my opinion.  Just poor risk management, no matter how right you may feel you are in doing so.

Would you take your kid out turkey hunting and hand him a fan to put up in front of his face?
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
This will continue to happen as long as people are stalking birds, right or wrong or indifferent. Only way to stop it is make turkey hunting only legal from a fixed position, no stalking or running and gunning. Same thing has happened to my duck decoys, goose decoys, ect.
Some States do not let you hunt ducks unless in a blind, and if you have to leave blind you must wear hunter orange, All because of this type of un safe situations.
But hiding behind a fan, is no smarter then hiding behind a Montana elk decoy during a stalk. How smart is that, but it happens all the time. Common sense needs to prevail on both sides. But if you shoot someone you are at fault PERIOD.......
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »
There is no excuse for shooting someone EVER for ANY reason unless lives are on the line.
First IDENTIFY your target before raising your firearm and keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and only point it at that in which you are willing to destroy. Keep your finger off the booger switch until your ready to fire.
Anyone who shoots another human being should be banned from hunting for LIFE and brought up on criminal charges.
The whole thought of it pisses me off to no end.
I'm fairly sure everyone here has taken Hunter Education, many of us are Hunter Ed instructors, and some of us are NRA certified instructors and range safety officers, as well. You're missing the point completely. If you get shot in the face, we all know it's the shooter's fault. Everyone knows it. What's the result however? YOU STILL GOT SHOT IN THE FACE. Don't do something that increases your chance of getting shot in the face. It's pretty simple. This method of hunting will exponentially increase the chance that it'll happen.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2017, 08:04:04 PM »
Eastern  Washington has lots of fields. I prefer hunting them. No need to go deep into the cover, just set up at the edge.
Years ago I received permission to hunt this one field and while I was deciding where to set up, the owner suggested I sit in the rocking chair on the back porch. Pretty soon, turkeys starting walking by ignoring me. A nice tom walked by and shot him. I consider hunting fields much safer than timber.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
This will continue to happen as long as people are stalking birds, right or wrong or indifferent. Only way to stop it is make turkey hunting only legal from a fixed position, no stalking or running and gunning. Same thing has happened to my duck decoys, goose decoys, ect.
Some States do not let you hunt ducks unless in a blind, and if you have to leave blind you must wear hunter orange, All because of this type of un safe situations.
But hiding behind a fan, is no smarter then hiding behind a Montana elk decoy during a stalk. How smart is that, but it happens all the time. Common sense needs to prevail on both sides. But if you shoot someone you are at fault PERIOD.......

That's about the long and short of it

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter