collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone Turkey hunt in Idaho? Help lol  (Read 5409 times)

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Anyone Turkey hunt in Idaho? Help lol
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »
Use a goose call

Offline HillSlick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
Truck door my go to locator. Close second to my horn. Lol

My 10 year old sneezed the other day. It worked too.

But really, add some locators to the bag. Honestly i typically run and gun all day with just my hen calls. Stop and call often. Once located determine if you have time to close the gap. I always try a least a little. Unless they are right on me.

Gobble scares me. Too many idiots shoot at sounds. Aa far as one running in to a gobble, 15 years chasing turks and plenty have hit the dirt, i have never seen one come to a gobble. My  :twocents:

Thank you for the reply! Other locators will be my investment for next year. And are you kidding or serious about the door and truck horn? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I cant even count how many birds got killed because i didnt shut my door quietly. Use my horn when roosting at night. Or coyote howl

Well then, lol I guess my efforts at being quiet are somewhat counter productive then ain't they? Lol

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
Crow call pilliated woodpecker peacock call coyote howler are all good locators.
Leave him alone until late morning to early afternoon. Roost them birds at night, put them to bed then sneak back in in the morning bout 45 minutes to an hour before the sun comes up then your ready for them when they pitch out of the trees.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
Anyone Turkey hunt in Idaho? Help lol
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
Crow call pilliated woodpecker peacock call coyote howler are all good locators.
Leave him alone until late morning to early afternoon. Roost them birds at night, put them to bed then sneak back in in the morning bout 45 minutes to an hour before the sun comes up then your ready for them when they pitch out of the trees.

Thank you! We've been more or less just tryin to find em on the fly, clearly our method isn't working -_-

Offline L8NITE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »
Just got back from an Idaho Turkey trip...have to say it was a very tough hunt! We managed to get three birds but we had to work hard between the rain and hail storms. The birds were not talking much and even when they did they would not leave the hens. I was not much of a believer in gobbling but that was the only way we could keep them fired up and bring them into the decoys. They seemed to go crazy when they seen our spread of hens with a jake (bought the new avians for the trip...highly recommended). Watched three big gobblers on a hill side for over an hour and tried a few light hen calls and nothing...gobbled once and they went crazy. Tried locating them with different  calls  in the evenings and got zero responses. We seen lots of birds but they just werent talking much. Just my :twocents:!!!
Good luck on your hunt and hope you get one!

One more thing we did see birds at both high and low elevations but the majority were down low :tup:
"The Hunts not over!"

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
Just got back from an Idaho Turkey trip...have to say it was a very tough hunt! We managed to get three birds but we had to work hard between the rain and hail storms. The birds were not talking much and even when they did they would not leave the hens. I was not much of a believer in gobbling but that was the only way we could keep them fired up and bring them into the decoys. They seemed to go crazy when they seen our spread of hens with a jake (bought the new avians for the trip...highly recommended). Watched three big gobblers on a hill side for over an hour and tried a few light hen calls and nothing...gobbled once and they went crazy. Tried locating them with different  calls  in the evenings and got zero responses. We seen lots of birds but they just werent talking much. Just my :twocents:!!!
Good luck on your hunt and hope you get one!

One more thing we did see birds at both high and low elevations but the majority were down low :tup:

Thanks for the reply man, that's very interesting, we only got one or two gobbles last weekend when we used our gobble call. Glad to hear that it's. it necessarily just me and my buddy havin a tough time though, little more encouraging lol. Definitely useful info man thanks again! And I'm glad to hear you had a successful hunt!!

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
The reason Idaho birds don't talk is because Idaho ranks 49th out of 50 States in Education, most them just don't know how to form words properly. :chuckle:  When you live on the Liberal side of the State Line but do everything but sleep in Idaho like I do, I gotta take the cheap shot.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
The reason Idaho birds don't talk is because Idaho ranks 49th out of 50 States in Education, most them just don't know how to form words properly. :chuckle:  When you live on the Liberal side of the State Line but do everything but sleep in Idaho like I do, I gotta take the cheap shot.

:chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]