collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality bull hunts?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
Quality bull hunts?
« on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:16 PM »
So I've never really gotten into special draws or any of that, I've always just bought a OTC tag and gave her hell. The last couple years I've been thinking about putting in for a west side Quality hunt. I've only ever stuck around my neck of the woods and was wondering what a decent tag would be to start applying for here on the west side? I was thinking toutle being that's its not too far from home but again I'd have to secure a weyco permit to access it if I was ever to get drawn. Anyone have any advise other then go to a different state and hunt because I don't have that kind of money or else I definitely would. Just looking for a couple of good west side quality bull units that might not require a weyco or other permit to access it if I'm ever drawn. Thanks for the help..
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Quality bull hunts?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:45:41 PM »
I was also looking at a couple units on the east side but how does that work? In order to purchase a east side quality bull application do I have to buy a east side elk license for this year even though I'm pretty sure I won't be drawn this year? I still want a west side license until I draw a tag for the east side. How do I do that?? I'm new at all this please be gentle   :chuckle:

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »
I can't help you out with the west side units. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

As for east side permits (applications), you have to buy the east side tag. Same goes for west side. You have to pick which side you want to hunt.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 05:50:22 AM »
The only way you can apply for Eastside permits and still hunt the west side is to first draw the multi season elk tag, which already happened.  Good tags on the west side are easy to find, just look at the number of applicants applying for those tags, less tags given usually means a better hunt. One tag I'd recommend is the green river water shed, you can do both deer and elk at the same time if you draw both permits.  Good luck
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
I was also looking at a couple units on the east side but how does that work? In order to purchase a east side quality bull application do I have to buy a east side elk license for this year even though I'm pretty sure I won't be drawn this year? I still want a west side license until I draw a tag for the east side. How do I do that?? I'm new at all this please be gentle   :chuckle:

You can't do that.

Like said above. Pick the tag with, side and weapon type before permit... 

So the best way to get a quality hunt is out of state. There are very few elk tags worth putting in for in western wa. The few that are any good, are impossible to draw.  I wouldn't waste my points on a west side quality permit.  :twocents:  save the right to twenty years of frustration and save for as long as it takes. Two years if need be. If you can afford to go out east other states should t be a problem.

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:31 AM »
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.. so I have to buy a east side elk tag this year in order to put in for a special draw elk unit on the east side that will take at least a decade to draw? Thanks guys for the help. I'll just find a tag here on the hoof rot side. Do I need to purchase weyco permit if I draw toutle? What happens if I draw toutle but miss out on getting the weyco permit?  :dunno:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
If I were you and was just starting out with the permit system, id stick with a west side tag and hunt 3 pt or better every year, then I'd put in for east side whenever I draw the multi season tag.  Don't waist your youth away like I did waiting 20 plus years to draw on the east side. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.. so I have to buy a east side elk tag this year in order to put in for a special draw elk unit on the east side that will take at least a decade to draw? Thanks guys for the help. I'll just find a tag here on the hoof rot side. Do I need to purchase weyco permit if I draw toutle? What happens if I draw toutle but miss out on getting the weyco permit?  :dunno:
I just bought the quality elk applications and put them in as points only option. After about 10 years of doing that, I actually bought an east side tag and applied for an east side quality tag. I got lucky and drew the 2nd choice unit I wanted that first year, my results are not typical....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
You don't need to buy the Weyerhaeuser access permit to hunt the Toutle unit. There's a large block of state land in the northeast part of the unit. But I'm not applying for it because of the hoof rot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:52:08 AM by bobcat »

Offline bighorn1

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
The Weyerhauser permits will be available may 18th by then you should be able to know which area you wish to hunt.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »
Toutle is a waste of one point. Waste of a general season tag if the meats bad. 

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Also makes a difference with weapon type on 1)what's a good tag and 2) how long it takes to get drawn.

I hunt archery and have been drawn for the peaches ridge tag 4 times in 20 yrs.  Just sayin somebody has to get drawn.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
I think the other option is to build points (2999) option for draws. that is independent of west or east. when you think you have enough to draw, set up with multi draw, you can then apply anywhere in state I think,(any weapon possibly) but one of the mods would have to tell me im not wrong on that one... never done it but I think its possible and a real PITA!
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]