collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Subaru experience?  (Read 13550 times)

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Subaru experience?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2017, 06:42:44 AM »
The other thing to note is the consistently high NHTSA ratings.  As far as space goes, it does get a little cramped with two kids under 7, but with the fold down seats and a roof rack, you can really load it up.  We'll be looking at 4Runner/Landcruiser/Pilot next.

I think at 170K-ish we are losing about a quart between oil changes.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I went this past weekend and drove a few, they seem nice. Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do - I have a few dealerships working on quotes for trucks but I'm not sure how its going to work.

My first season of hunting was done in a Honda Fit, and I took that thing into some surprising places. Only got stuck twice - first time was able to push out, second time ran off the road and high centered it. I decided after the second time that a more appropriate vehicle would be needed... before the next season I bought my truck.

To be honest I'm more of a walk-in guy. In the Tacoma, theres only been a time or two that I have been 'under-gunned' getting somewhere. Those times were both deep snow, and to be honest I'm not sure anything outside of a big wheeler would've made it through that stuff. The rest of the time I haven't even come close to pushing the limits.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2017, 12:42:48 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I went this past weekend and drove a few, they seem nice. Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do - I have a few dealerships working on quotes for trucks but I'm not sure how its going to work.

My first season of hunting was done in a Honda Fit, and I took that thing into some surprising places. Only got stuck twice - first time was able to push out, second time ran off the road and high centered it. I decided after the second time that a more appropriate vehicle would be needed... before the next season I bought my truck.

To be honest I'm more of a walk-in guy. In the Tacoma, theres only been a time or two that I have been 'under-gunned' getting somewhere. Those times were both deep snow, and to be honest I'm not sure anything outside of a big wheeler would've made it through that stuff. The rest of the time I haven't even come close to pushing the limits.
Did the USMB help you narrow down what vintage Subarus to look for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline yajsab

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
Here is a lifted subaru for ya.   :)

I have a 2005 with 140K and no issue.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
Update - I had a camping/hunting trip planned with the wife/kid to eastern WA to fill my other turkey tag. Decided to take my wifes car(a Equinox) to see how it would work with the cargo space... they have similar dimensions, the outback having 2-3 more cubic feet of storage. We ended up not having enough room to fit everything, and that was with us also packing the front seat and sitting my wife in the back next to the car seat, and packing the seat on the other side of the carseat and floorboards. While it would've worked fine if it were just me and my wife, my reason for buying to be able to fit the wife and kid(and eventually a second kid) in the vehicle comfortably with gear.

I ended up with a Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab with the long bed. Much more room for activities!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »
Just bought a 2000 Forrester 216k for my daughter. Nice enough car.  Timing belt was done about 4 years and 30k ago so I think we are good.  Whats up with stupid parking light switch on the column?  Man I could not figure out why the lights were on for 2 days. :bash:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
My 2009 Forester with 160K blew up on Friday. Dealer can't say why but this is definitely the last one I will own. Price to repair a little north of 8K from the dealer and 2 independent shops. I drove it hard but I drive all my cars that way and this is a first for me. Car had regular service and the head gasket repaired. Not sure what to do at this point. Hate spending 8K on a car only worth that but if I do I hope I can drive it another 100K before something else major fails. This was a non-turbo model.

Offline dog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: dog
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
I wouldn't do it. I had a similar situation with my '07 outback at 117K. I pulled the plug. Same thing happened to my daughter in law. Subarus often turn into money pits but their owners like them enough to consider it "maintenance". There were a lot of things I liked about it, but geez, no more Subarus for me. A lesson learned the hard way!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:53:09 AM by dog »

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »

Don't remember the year but we just had to replace the radiator, split along the top, and timing belts are friggin' expensive.  You don't have to worry about them with your truck.....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:06:32 PM by bobcat »

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
Look into the 50k used Japanese engines??  Might be a cheap solution? :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
My 2009 Forester with 160K blew up on Friday. Dealer can't say why but this is definitely the last one I will own. Price to repair a little north of 8K from the dealer and 2 independent shops. I drove it hard but I drive all my cars that way and this is a first for me. Car had regular service and the head gasket repaired. Not sure what to do at this point. Hate spending 8K on a car only worth that but if I do I hope I can drive it another 100K before something else major fails. This was a non-turbo model.

Get a used engine from a wrecking yard and have a mechanic install.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 05:33:22 AM »

Don't remember the year but we just had to replace the radiator, split along the top, and timing belts are friggin' expensive.  You don't have to worry about them with your truck.....
I would be a bit concerned about possible other issues if I had a radiator split across the top. Could be just a radiator problem. Could be more.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »

I would be a bit concerned about possible other issues if I had a radiator split across the top. Could be just a radiator problem. Could be more.

I think a solder joint failed.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »
Our 2012 Forester XT (turbo) with 150K is still going strong.  Been thru a couple of 'incidents' that required significant body work.  Wife hit a deer, and rear ended while stopped at a light.  Just towed a 2250# load back from MT a few days ago.  1st time with a trailer behind it.  Only dropped mileage 4 mpg, and no trouble holding 65 over the passes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:17:59 PM by Ghost Hunter »
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
Our 2012 Forester XT (turbo) with 150K is still going strong.  Been thru a couple of 'incidents' that required significant body work.  Wife hit a deer, and rear ended while stopped at a light.  Just towed a 22503# load back from MT a few days ago.  1st time with a trailer behind it.  Only dropped mileage 4 mpg, and no trouble holding 65 over the passes.

:yike:  :yike:  I sure hope you added an extra digit in there.  If a Forester can tow 22k, I need to bite the bullet and swap it for my truck that can only tow 12k  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]