collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leica Geovid 10x42 Rangefinding Binoculars  (Read 3343 times)

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
Leica Geovid 10x42 Rangefinding Binoculars
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
Any feedback on these?  Camofire has them  listed for $1849, supposedly 30% off.

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
Re: Leica Geovid 10x42 Rangefinding Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »
I think the Cabelas in Tulalip had 1 pair in bargain cave for $1599.00 yesterday
elkaholic

Offline Tikka300wsm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
My dad has a pair of those. Keep in mind that those are the HD-R's and not the new HD-B's. I believe the glass and rangefinder is the same. But the HD-B's will calculate temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc. The clarity is great though. Just a heads up!

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
I have the HD-B model, and love them!  The front covers sucks though.  Lost one somewhere in Idaho first trip out.  Bought the Vortex ones and they have stayed on.  That's my only complaint.  I've a LOT of different glasses over the last 40 years, these are the best I've ever had (for my eyes anyway).
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline Survival Pack

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:07:02 PM »
HD-B does not give horizontal corrected distance at bow ranges(under 100 yards).  The new HD-B 2200 does compensate for angle according to Leica videos at archery distances.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:56:26 PM »
HD-B does not give horizontal corrected distance at bow ranges(under 100 yards).  The new HD-B 2200 does compensate for angle according to Leica videos at archery distances.

Our situation:

I am going to pay close attention in the near future for a "gently used" pair of Geovid HD-B as others take advantage and upgrade to the new HD-B 2200. 

At north of $2K it wasn't even close to worth it for us to add another Alpha binocular to what we own by buying a HD-B, given we have a Leica and Nikon EDG already and a perfectly capable Nikon Monarch 1200 range finder for chuck shooting and east side rifle hunting of big game. 

But if a pair of HD-B shows up for ~$1,000 it is probable that we will bite. 

"In for a dime, in for a dollar" and we could really benefit from me not having to set down the binocular and get behind the range finder when chuck shooting.  Even though I go back and forth betw/our 15x56 Swaro and 8x42 Nikon EDG when looking for chucks, and if I happen to be behind the Swaro I will still have to switch gears unless we have already shot another chuck right there at that location. 

In east side and Montana rifle big game, if I need to pull out my range finder... I have all the time in the world.  But it would be a big convenience to not have the range finder dangling about all day.

Given the enjoyment we get from the above... for a $K-note... it is VERY inviting.  Those Geovids have very good glass in them.  A pair could replace a separate binocular and a range finder for one of us. I suspect that if this happens it will be me who is back to carrying both a binocular and a separate rangefinder.     

W/our bow hunting, we are in a stand, and I almost always have ranged landmarks and had hours to cogitate on the angle and have decided which pin at every landmark... so it just doesn't matter to me. 

If I were a bow hunter who still hunted a lot... or at all, then the HD-B 2200 might just look like the price to play was worthy of the return on investment.  But for me a HD-B @ ~ a $K-note is right up against the limit we can justify for another Alpha bin w/incorporated rangefinder as providing a return on investment that is fiscally responsible.

We have a budget for things other than gas and such and we have to live within that budget pursuing our hobbies and we spend it every year.  The trick is to get the most "bang for the buck."  A $K-note we can justify this amount on an upgrade, but barely, and that means no other hardware purchase that year, and damn little fiddling around with trying new powders, bullets etc.  And that barrel that should probably be replaced his winter? No way, no how... we just have to live with it another year. 

Offline Survival Pack

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
I had an HD-B at the house for a month (returned it). 
Likes. Very impressive glass.  Ranging distance and speed phenominal.  Multiple use equipment.
Dislikes.  Will pick up grass, leaves, branches very easily instead of intended target.  No horizontal distance correction at less than 100 yards.  Price.

I compared to Leupold 1200 and love the last target mode of leupold.  Will shoot through grass, leaves, minor branches to give correct distance to desired target.  Will stick with what I have for now.  Hoping Leupold or Leica offer a good combo unit with a last target mode.  I will purchase then.

Offline slm9s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
My older Geovids are spectacular optically.  Last week I found a shooting spot and there was a small patch of dirt 1325 yards away that the geovids were able to range.  They are damn nice.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal