collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: go to deer attractant/antler grower  (Read 2828 times)

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
go to deer attractant/antler grower
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
looking for ideas on what works for blackies...our house build is just about done and everytime we are out there we see deer on the property.  this morning we had 3 bucks about 30 yards off the back slider eating some left over cracked corn and rolled oats i put out after my last shine run. they ate a little bit of the grain but am looking for ideas on what to feed them for antler growth.  the biggest one already has 4" eyeguards and is growing out his main beams.  his coat is a lot darker than the other 2 who already seem to be growing their redder summer coat.  not looking to shoot them just want to see what i can do to supplement their growth.  would be pretty cool to watch them develop. 

thanks
brew
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline LeviD1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
Re: go to deer attractant/antler grower
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:44:46 AM »
About 33% of antler is made from phosphorous and calcium. Whatever you put out make sure it has that otherwise your wasting money. Most products I've see. That are labelled "deer" mineral are only 1-3% phosphorous and calcium. I found some stuff at 1 feed store that is 12% phosphorous, 12% calcium, 25% salt, then the rest is trace mineral. When I switched to that they seem to love it. Deer, elk, moose just lay on it and lick. After mid August they don't touch it much really though just fyi.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »
There is no product that you can dump in the ground and magically grow inches such as mineral licks . They consume such little amounts of it daily and that's if they come to to it daily to add a inch. If you are truly wanting to add inches it's a year round investment and it's starts with what they eat everyday as in food not licks. High protein diets are proven to grow bigger deer bodies and antlers . It's expensive and a lot of work. Fertilizing the browse, opening up the canopy for more food and keeping weeds at bay are a start. If your wanting to supplement them with higher protein then purina deer chow or similar products is what I'd use.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
Find some deer with excellent genetics and bring them in otherwise its a krap shoot
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »
I use Purina Antler Max.  The first year I used it I saw a drastic jump in the size of antlers in my area.  I use it from April 1st until September 15th.  I also have mineral blocks out year round and fertilize the ground to increase natural vegetation growth.  Year round work on weeds and clearing downed trees.  I also have water sources on the property.  Better habitat equals better/more wildlife.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
I use Purina Antler Max.  The first year I used it I saw a drastic jump in the size of antlers in my area.  I use it from April 1st until September 15th.  I also have mineral blocks out year round and fertilize the ground to increase natural vegetation growth.  Year round work on weeds and clearing downed trees.  I also have water sources on the property.  Better habitat equals better/more wildlife.

It's nice to hear from someone who has confirmed a jump in size using that Antler Max. I have used that product off and on but I've have never been sure how well it works. About 4 years ago, I used it for an extended period before the season like you do and the whitetail were noticeably larger in every age class. I didn't have trail cameras at that time and only saw a handful of mule deer bucks but they were all legal, no spikes or forks.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »

It's nice to hear from someone who has confirmed a jump in size using that Antler Max. I have used that product off and on but I've have never been sure how well it works. About 4 years ago, I used it for an extended period before the season like you do and the whitetail were noticeably larger in every age class. I didn't have trail cameras at that time and only saw a handful of mule deer bucks but they were all legal, no spikes or forks.
It was noticeable for sure.  The two spikes that I had that year were both 9" spikes, the two points were way bigger, not small forks and the young 3's and 4's were much bigger.

I will say the one other factor that changed was that it was year two after a fire and the ground cover was insane.  Part of that was my doing with grasses and winter wheat that I had planted.

I still believe that the antler max was a contributing factor. So much so that I continue to use it religiously.

I am using it in mule deer country but I would imagine it would have the same results in blacktail country.  The important thing to remember is that it doesn't hold up to weather exposure so it has to be used in a gravity feeder where it is protected from the elements and only so much food can come out at a time.  I use a 4" pvc tube with a 90 degree bend at the bottom and a cap on the top.  A 10 foot length of that pipe just about holds a forty pound bag of antlermax.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
thanks for the input....gonna try some of that antler max along with planting some ground crop forage...i really dont want to mow grass out back so i'd rather have something for them to munch on.  will get a trail cam set up and see if i can post some pics of their progression.  there is a nice buck rub on the back end of the property and i asked the neighbors about it and they said last year there was a real nice 3 pt with eyeguards strolling around so hope to keep him interested

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
just remembered that a couple monts ago we saw 4 wild turkeys on the property line as well...will they eat the same ground forage that deer will or is there something else i can plant for them ?

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »
just remembered that a couple monts ago we saw 4 wild turkeys on the property line as well...will they eat the same ground forage that deer will or is there something else i can plant for them ?

As far as I know, the turkeys should be interested in just about any small type of forage such as young tender grasses and seedlings as well as clover.
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
i have to get some trail cams out...was at the property this afternoon and saw those 3 bucks just sauntering around eating grass and i swear their antlers have grown at least 6" in the last 2 weeks....the biggest has 4" eyeguards and is already has one nice fork

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »
[/quote
 :yeah:

Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal