collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Africa  (Read 9589 times)

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Africa
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
Looks like we will be planning our first trip to Africa in 18'. Looking for outfitter suggestions. This would be a plains game hunt for at least gemsbok, kudu, and a warthog . I want to be able to combine with a sight seeing safari for the wife as she is not a hunter. This will be for our 25th wedding anniversary so I  would also like nice accommodations. Would love to hear from some that  have done the hunt before. Thanks

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
Re: Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
I've twice Used   Cruiser Safaris  In Limpopo Region Of South Africa Very reasonable prices, class operation, good accommodations  http://www.cruisersafaris.com/

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
I've hunted with Kuvhima a few times and had great experiences. I'm planning a 2018 trip. Feel free to PM me for more information.

http://www.kuvhima.co.za/

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
I have several outfitters I work with for South Africa you call me at 352-872-8243

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:57:16 AM »
I just got back from South Africa a few days ago. I have been over a few times, but I hunt with relatives there, so I don't have to use an outfitter or PH.
Couple of things for your info: talk to your outfitter about selling back your meat. You normally don't get to try any, and you can't bring it home. It can offset the price of your animal.
Have your taxidermy done there. They do a great job and are less expensive than having it done here.
The SAP (South African police) want a new/current form from US customs. It's not a big deal, but just another hassle you don't need. Some of the outfitters are using a subcontractor to pre-check your rifle through for you. They like to get $80-$100 for this. It will save you an hour at the SAP desk.
It's a long-ass flight. I flew through Dubai to Johannesburg on Emirates. I watched a lot of movies, and took multiple naps.
The people of South Africa know of us Yanks by what they watch on tv. No fooling!
Try their foods, beers, liquors, etc. It makes for a much better experience. You might avoid the lamb the day before you fly out though. It can be kinda fatty and rich, troubles you don't need on an airplane!
Ask them about their country, their lives and families.
Our dollar goes a long way! Yesterday the exchange rate was 13.5 Rand to one USD. I was drinking top shelf whiskey while there! Keep your money hidden, don't flash it around. They have thieves there just like we do.
You may end up behind a black tracker or guide. Ask what the correct tip is for him, and when to tip him. We as yanks tend to tip too much there, and it upsets the PH's.

Take your sunscreen, and if you'll be in the Zimbabwe area, take mosquito repellant. It can be a malaria area.
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline OLYTAX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
Do you mean buy back your meat or sell it on the market........been there seven times now.....Buzzi

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
Sell it. Doesn't seem like a good idea to buy it twice.
Just my opinion.
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline eastcoastguy

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
Just had an awesome job done by a taxidermy. Wildlife art taxidermy. Hes a booking agent tp for chamanzi zulu safaris.his name is bruce. You should see his african game room!!!!!!!

Offline lhrbull

• Scout
  • Groups: wafsf mdf sci
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:00:48 AM »
did you hunt with Johann he is a great PH

Offline Cat hunter

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »
Just  back a couple of weeks, hunted with Johann at Chamanzi  Zulu. I would highly recommend him.

Offline Cat hunter

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:01:05 PM »
 Wife and sister in law went along with their cameras and had a great time! They have said repeatedly they would like to go again! Be forewarned africa can be addicting !!!   

Offline scree

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
My wife and I hunted with Kuvhima as well. Had an Outstanding experience with them.  Kuvhima is also a very strong and long time supporter of both Puget Sound SCI and WA Wild Sheep.  Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Offline lhrbull

• Scout
  • Groups: wafsf mdf sci
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:16:07 AM »
Cat hunter how about some pictures

Offline USMC86

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
Have gone twice with a smaller, family-owed operation in northern Namibia called Sebra Safaris...you can find them if you google that name or Jan du Plessis.  Beautiful country, lot's of animals with plenty of free range options if that is preferred and very inexpensive.  Very responsible, ethical PH...quiet but a good sense of humor, rancher in the off season so a salt of the earth kind of guy. Very nice accommodations and food, and Etosha Game Preserve is nearby...lot's of lions, elephants, etc. 

Would strongly recommend that you work with a hunting travel agency ( I use Gracy Travel) to make a very long flight easier.  If you fly into or through J'burg, it can be tricky with the gun permits and customs....for a minimal fee, they will have someone meet you, quickly get you through customs and will work with the onsite police to complete the paperwork.  That process isn't fun to figure out on your own when you're groggy from travel.  I

I've been to Zimbabwe a bunch too and there is great hunting there, but the infrastructure is poor and their plains game has been hammered since Mugabe implemented land reforms.  For what you want, Namibia and South Africa will likely be the best options.  You'll need to determine if you are comfortable hunting in a high fence environment- which is very common in SA.  I have not hunted with them but have heard great things about Crusader Safaris in SA....all free range if that is important, and you'd be in or near the Cape, which is near the beach and very scenic.

As far as taxidermy, I've had it done there once and had it done in the U.S. the other 5-6 times.   Whatever you might save in Africa on taxidermy you'll more than spend on shipping costs (full mounts versus hides).  My recommendation would be to have them dip/pack/crate and ship to a taxidermist you trust in the U.S. 

From a cost standpoint, you should easily be able to arrange a hunt for the species you've mentioned for $4-$5k, including trophy fees, for a 5-6 day hunt.  Figure one animal every 1-2 days.  Once you add on airfare, tip, dip/pack/crate and miscellaneous, you'll be nudging $10k.

My fiancé doesn't hunt either but usually tags along with me.  I made sure she had the right clothes (She Safari and Filson are great, Selous boots are comfy), her own binos for watching animals and a headnet (cheap ones from army/navy stores are great) and she has a ball....if you go in May/June/July, the weather should be great, the experience incredible with lots of great food, wine and interesting things to see.  Enjoy and feel free to ping me if you have any more questions.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]