collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yakima Elk GMUs  (Read 7586 times)

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Yakima Elk GMUs
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com (VERY worth the money IMHO if you don't have time to scout areas in person)
Obviously Google Earth

:yeah:

OnXMaps is absolutely an amazing product and well worth the cost (which is reasonable)!  It is very accurate and kept up to date, and if you've enabled GPS services on your device then it will tell you exactly where you are, and it highlights all the land boundaries to let you know if you're on public municipal or State land, State Forest land, National Forest land or private property, etc.  It even lists WHO the private property owner is too if it is registered.  Invaluable tool to have for scouting to make sure you're not on land that is off limits.  I mean who wants to go hunting only to end up with a massive fine, a confiscated firearm and/or a jail stay?
Have you ever used OnX in the GMU's in question? Lots of inaccuracies in the road systems that I found in GMU 342 when I hunted it in 2015.  :twocents:

Offline bishop311

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Outdoorsman & Lousy, Layabout Scoundrel
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »
No, but I've used it when hunting down in South Texas.  I'm new to WA.  I didn't find any problems with it myself, but maybe there is more development and land ownership/title/status changes in WA?
The moon comes up. The moon goes down.
This is to inform you that I didn’t die young.
Age swept past me but I caught up.
Spring has begun here and each day brings new birds up from Mexico.
Yesterday I got a call from the outside world but I said NO in thunder.
I was a dog on a short chain and now there’s no chain.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »
Have you ever used OnX in the GMU's in question? Lots of inaccuracies in the road systems that I found in GMU 342 when I hunted it in 2015.  :twocents:

True, but that's no fault of OnX.  I have not seen a single map from any publisher (and I'm a map nerd and have looked extensively) that has accurate roads/closures/etc.  Even the brand new 2016 USFS maps are inaccurate re: the roads.

The best one I've found for road access is the "Yakima County Recreation Map" that you can buy at Forest Service offices.  I bought mine at the Naches ranger station -- not sure which other stations might carry it.  I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the publisher, but I know that I have not been able to find it online or anywhere besides the ranger stations. It's $12.50, if I remember right.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
Also, just a note on OnX Maps: 

I don't understand the value in their expensive product options (GPS cards, etc.).  I guess I can see the value if you frequently hunt out of state and need the entire country's register of private land...  but I certainly wouldn't get any use out of that.

For $30 (or less if you use a coupon from their pros that make hunting shows on Sportsmans or YouTube...) you get all of WA's data, and can use your smartphone to do everything most people do with a handheld GPS. 

It's REAL easy to spend more than $30 on different print maps, so it's kindof a no-brainer to me... 

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
PM me with your questions, I can point you in a few directions to start scouting. Good luck on all your hunting adventures !!!

KD

Offline Yankee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
just out of curiosity, how many points do you have saved up?   I know of people with upwards of 10 points who still haven't gotten drawn for Peaches Ridge.....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]