collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My 2017 Turkey Story  (Read 2112 times)

Offline trapp01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
My 2017 Turkey Story
« on: May 08, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
  The 2017 Turkey season started for us back in September one night at a bar in our hometown. Ken, myself, Jordan and his wife were hitting the bars one Saturday night. Ken, fresh off a divorce was on the hunt for a hen when we spotted her. She was with a bachelorette party so we enlisted Jordans wife to break her away from the flock and she succeeded. Turns out this gal owns 200 acres near Colville. We regroup and make sure Ken knows to that he will do whatever necessary to secure that land for turkeys.
  Fast forward to April and Ken has come through and we have permission to hunt the 200 acres. We can't  go opening weekend as I have kids and can't miss the Easter Egg hunt, bummer. So the following Friday we planned to leave my place after work at 230. Friday morning at 8 I get a call from Ken saying he's on his way so I call the other two guys and we all ditch work hoping to make it there in time to locate some birds for the following morning. When they all get there we start to load up my truck with camping gear when Ken says we can stay in her house! So heck yea we unloaded the tents, chairs, and cooking equipment then hit the road.
  We get to Vantage and I ask Ken for an address and he says he doesn't have an address, just a road name with some directions. For the last 18 years of my 28 year life I've been hunting the same exact area where she says her land is. That's when the sinking feeling hit, I've knocked on every door in the area asking for permission and know this area like to back of my hand. I call my wife who is a realtor to look her up and she doesn't own anything in ferry or Stevens county. After a bunch of texts we determine that we've been CATFISHED!!!
  Screw it, we decided to turn around and hunt birds in kittitas co. Luckily we know we're a few birds hang out but it's steep and deep. The area we want to hunt is still snowed in and mangage to bury my 1 tom GMC in a snow drift. After 4 hours of digging and chaining up we finally get out and head down the road. Not a quarter mile from where we got stuck we come around a corner and there's a Nice tom walking down the road. We're not prepaired for road hunting...guns are flying everywhere, frantically ripping bags open trying to find shells and no bird. Damn, we get the packs ready and throw on some camo and head to the area we want to camp at. About 20 minutes later we spot another tom with a hen working up hill. We park, and try to put the hunt on him but he won't gobble back. It's getting dark so we back off and figure that's a good bird to hunt in the morning.
  We get to the camp spot and set up a makeshift camp. Luckily we still brought sleeping bags and  I had a roll of plastic and some duct tape in my pickup.
  The next morning I head out of camp and head two gobbles a couple hundred yards from camp but I pass figuring the other guys would jump on them. no success. We all met at camp and come up with a plan for the afternoon hunt. Jake drops two of us uphill to try and find the tom we saw the day before and Ken and Jake are gonna hunt lower. As Jordan and I are making our way downhill towards camp some guys opened up a hailstorm of bullets up the canyon we were coming down so we hunkered down behind a log and waited for them to stop shooting. They stop shooting after an hour and we start heading downhill again when Ken calls. He's out of breath and asks,"how do you gut a Turkey!" Right on! Ken smacked his first bird ever!
  after we got the bird all cleaned up and in the cooler I headed out again downhill from camp. Not ten minutes after leaving camp I hear two shots up hill from me. Jordan calls me and says he dropped a Jake just up from camp( that's jordans first bird too). I do the 800 yard uphill dash and catch up to Jake who is a first time hunter. I strike a call and they gobble right next to us. I explain be very quite and watch your foot placement and we attempt to put the stalk on these birds. 60 yards later in heavy brush I spotted a read head and a little beard looking our direction. I say shoot him but Jake can't see him. The bird works his way over a knoll and it's bum rush time. We double time it to the knoll and there he is about 35 yards out and I'm doing everything I can to get Jake to shoot but he still can't see him. So I grabbed him and put him in front of me and pointed over his shoulder and and said shoot!!!! Bang.. flop and another tom flys up from the brush near by and I stepped to the side and dropped him.
  Fours birds in under 2 hours. Jake got his first kil ever.. Jordan and Ken got their first turkeys and I walked away my second central WA bird and my 38th Turkey over all. Jake said, "that's the most intense I've ever done." I'm pretty sure he's hooked now.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: My 2017 Turkey Story
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
Woohoo! Congrats!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: My 2017 Turkey Story
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33:43 AM »