collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cowiche ?  (Read 13140 times)

Offline Webfoot

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Cowiche ?
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
Would someone be willing to give me some information on the Cowiche unit? Such as terrain type, timbered or open country, steep or semi steep or fairly flat, how about road densities. I am thinking about applying for the bull tag there and at my age I am through crawling into the watershed and wenaha type areas. I hunt mostly alone and need to hunt someplace where I can get an elk to a road in a reasonable amount of time. I have 20 some points for the bull tag so this will likely be my last draw hunt if I am successful in pulling the tag. Maybe there is another unit I should be looking at I am not to familiar with the east side only having hunted it one time in the east wenaha in 2012
Thanks
John

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
Re: Cowiche ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »
The eastern side of the unit is sage brush steps (high desert) that slowly build up to the edge of the Cascades. Once into the mountains the forests are mostly pine with some fur and others mixed in. The more open parts of the unit are in the transition between sage and pine forest. There is access via Cowiche Mill Rd. though there is a lot of private land out there. A more popular way to get into the mountains is by way of Ahtanum rd that splits (at the edge of the mountains) into North and South Fork rd.  Both of those are great for access and equally popular with hunters. I know a guy who has drawn that tag twice and he said it was easy to tag out and pack out. Road densities could be on the high end. I'm usually only out in Cowiche for late archery elk and the density then is fairly high. If you want more open areas I'd take N. Fork Road then go up what is locally known as the "switch backs" which is/was a green dot road leading up into the mountains. I'll try to look up that road and get back to you with specifics. Once higher up on that road, there is a lot of more open country that could be great for rifle season. Pretty sure my buddy got both his bulls up that road.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »
The eastern side of the unit is sage brush steps (high desert) that slowly build up to the edge of the Cascades. Once into the mountains the forests are mostly pine with some fur and others mixed in. The more open parts of the unit are in the transition between sage and pine forest. There is access via Cowiche Mill Rd. though there is a lot of private land out there. A more popular way to get into the mountains is by way of Ahtanum rd that splits (at the edge of the mountains) into North and South Fork rd.  Both of those are great for access and equally popular with hunters. I know a guy who has drawn that tag twice and he said it was easy to tag out and pack out. Road densities could be on the high end. I'm usually only out in Cowiche for late archery elk and the density then is fairly high. If you want more open areas I'd take N. Fork Road then go up what is locally known as the "switch backs" which is/was a green dot road leading up into the mountains. I'll try to look up that road and get back to you with specifics. Once higher up on that road, there is a lot of more open country that could be great for rifle season. Pretty sure my buddy got both his bulls up that road.
There is no access on cowiche Mill road as of now. Landowner gated it off to public access. I called wdfw and they said he CAN legally do that. as far as the switchbacks, I'm assuming you mean *censored*, which will lead into some great land. As well as the road before it, nasty creek.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
There is no access on cowiche Mill road as of now. Landowner gated it off to public access. I called wdfw and they said he CAN legally do that. as far as the switchbacks, I'm assuming you mean *censored*, which will lead into some great land. As well as the road before it, nasty creek.

Whoa! That sucks. I went up a ways back but had to turn around because I thought I'd get stuck. Never got to the gate. Are you talking about the gate a few miles past the cattle guard? I thought there was a public easement on that road. If there was an easement we could enforce it in court if we had to. Damn.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »

Whoa! That sucks. I went up a ways back but had to turn around because I thought I'd get stuck. Never got to the gate. Are you talking about the gate a few miles past the cattle guard? I thought there was a public easement on that road. If there was an easement we could enforce it in court if we had to. Damn.
the cattle guard right at the power line past cowiche ranches. wdfw said the green dot road doesn't start until the state land past the vanwycks land.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
here i will try to sum up the Cowiche unit that produces game.

EVER WATCH THE MOVIE DELIVERANCE?There it is.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:56 AM »

Hahahaj

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »

Too many stories like this have kept me from applying. I've got a ton of points too, not that points really matter. Search cowiche unit on here and you'll find some good reading on @$&hole land owners who think they own the entire unit.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »

:chuckle:

There are no doubt a few families out that way that live a particular kind of lifestyle!

Offline kyleJmiller607

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »
wolves and grizz everywhere.... no elk

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »

I have spent a long time in cowiche  wolves yes but grizz...... come on lol maybe a plant from the res went for a run but it wouldn't last long if there even was one 

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »
My favorite area to hunt is Cowiche

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
My favorite area to hunt is Cowiche
the unit or this area they are talking about?the unit is awesome but not so much in this neighborhood being talked about.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
Cowiche isn't too bad. Lots of roads. Some closed by *censored*s as previously mentioned. Some nice timber, a fee steep and deep pockets. Sage brush that gently rolls. The occasional drop off. Watch for those.

Myself and BugleBuster live pretty close to there. If you draw and get need help dragging send me a pm here.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »

I have spent a long time in cowiche  wolves yes but grizz...... come on lol maybe a plant from the res went for a run but it wouldn't last long if there even was one
if you can show me a confirmed picture of a wolf in cowiche I'll buy you lunch
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]