collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cowiche ?  (Read 13146 times)

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
Re: Cowiche ?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
wolves and grizz everywhere.... no elk

I have spent a long time in cowiche  wolves yes but grizz...... come on lol maybe a plant from the res went for a run but it wouldn't last long if there even was one
if you can show me a confirmed picture of a wolf in cowiche I'll buy you lunch
pm sent

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
wolves and grizz everywhere.... no elk

I have spent a long time in cowiche  wolves yes but grizz...... come on lol maybe a plant from the res went for a run but it wouldn't last long if there even was one
if you can show me a confirmed picture of a wolf in cowiche I'll buy you lunch
pm sent
Pm me too

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
were all still waiting.you want in on this lunch to bugle?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
Why not post this alleged pic of a wolf in Cowiche Unit right here? I am doubtful.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »
Why not post this alleged pic of a wolf in Cowiche Unit right here? I am doubtful.
:yeah:

If you show a photo, I'd buy that a wolf could wander into the unit occasionally, but I took the comment about wolves and bears as tongue-in-cheek, especially given the comment about hardly any elk.  I've heard what I'm pretty sure are wolf howls in the Rimrock unit not far from the border with Cowiche, but I think I'd have to call BS on the claim there's an established pack in the area.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »

If you show a photo, I'd buy that a wolf could wander into the unit occasionally, but I took the comment about wolves and bears as tongue-in-cheek, especially given the comment about hardly any elk.  I've heard what I'm pretty sure are wolf howls in the Rimrock unit not far from the border with Cowiche, but I think I'd have to call BS on the claim there's an established pack in the area.

Yea it's been long enough, I'm calling BS.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:19:55 PM by OutHouse »

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Here's your pic and yes I'm sure it's cause they are traveling back and fourth from rim rock

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »

Did I ever say established pack??..... No
Wander in and out yes absolutely
Does it affect animals in area absolutely

Not sure why people are so surprised

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
@millerwheeler Thanks Man! I thought it was all puffery but I'm glad you posted the pic. Now I am gonna argue that it's not a wolf   :chuckle:

Can you tell me generally where this was taken? I've been in these units for 20 years never seen any sign but didn't discount it altogether.

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 06:20:36 PM »
@millerwheeler Thanks Man! I thought it was all puffery but I'm glad you posted the pic. Now I am gonna argue that it's not a wolf   :chuckle:

Can you tell me generally where this was taken? I've been in these units for 20 years never seen any sign but didn't discount it altogether.

Back side of dome peak close to the border  of rim rock unit

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
Seen 1 wolf up in the Ewe Neck bout 4-5 years ago at 65 yards the camp next to us seen a black phase the same day bout a mile from where I saw the gray phase. Fish n game sent the wolf callers up in there that winter according to DNR and said no wolves in the area. DNR said no wolves the following season and to shoot all large coyotes then.

Offline Opportunist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 12:53:22 AM »
2 years I saw a gray one up above Conrad meadows up by Darland mountain scouting for my dads rimrock elk tag. Ran into a game warden the next day up on Bethel and he said there was 4 of them running around up around Darland mountain, I too am surprised at how some guys are in denial. I have no pics.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 03:22:30 PM »
Millerwheeler, FWIW, I didn't think you were claiming there was an established pack -- I was just specifying that I don't think there is one there.  That claim was made by someone else, and like I said I took it as tongue-in-cheek. 

I've seen a pretty convincing print near Tieton Meadows and heard howls so I'm not surprised or in denial.  I do have serious doubts that they're having a significant effect on the ungulate population of the area though; I think they're just occasional visitors.  With so many game cams deployed and so many hunters in the area, it seems impossible to me that they'd be making an impact on the elk/deer/sheep without obvious evidence.  Just think about how many wolf kills are found north of I-90, and how motivated Olympia is to claim more wolf packs. 

I guess I just give no credence to the idea that there's an established population south of I-90 and WDFW is hiding it for...  fun?  I guess?

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »
Millerwheeler, FWIW, I didn't think you were claiming there was an established pack -- I was just specifying that I don't think there is one there.  That claim was made by someone else, and like I said I took it as tongue-in-cheek. 

I've seen a pretty convincing print near Tieton Meadows and heard howls so I'm not surprised or in denial.  I do have serious doubts that they're having a significant effect on the ungulate population of the area though; I think they're just occasional visitors.  With so many game cams deployed and so many hunters in the area, it seems impossible to me that they'd be making an impact on the elk/deer/sheep without obvious evidence.  Just think about how many wolf kills are found north of I-90, and how motivated Olympia is to claim more wolf packs. 

I guess I just give no credence to the idea that there's an established population south of I-90 and WDFW is hiding it for...  fun?  I guess?

They  hide it because once they establish it there liable to deal with it and with a low budget, under funded, under manages, and lack of resources to actually deal with it how could they?

I agree there travelers but there are lots and lots of units with travelers and with an animal that kills  just to kill or just plan like warm meat it affects everywhere as a whole . The cowiche unit has been in trouble for a long time with many other issues that aren't worth getting into .

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
The cowiche unit has been in trouble for a long time with many other issues that aren't worth getting into .
In trouble how? Aren't elk numbers still growing?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal