collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Section J PCT  (Read 9766 times)

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Section J PCT
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
Before I became a hunter I was an avid backpacker.  It is something that I have a passion for and that I would love to combine with hunting.  My question to you guys is I want to hunt high buck this coming September.  How much prior scouting do you put in to be successful?  Do you leave a game cam?  I have a couple lakes in mind that I would like to hunt, but I am not sure how many times I will be able to get there throughout the summer. 

I have always been a high school football coach so September hiking and hunting were out of the picture for me.  How much hiking pressure do you have to worry about when you are hunting around the trails and bowls in September?  And are all high mountain bowls and meadows worth hunting?  Or only west facing ones?  Thanks for the help and input. 

PM's are welcome also if you are interested in knowing what lakes I have in mind or have info you would like to share but not post.  Thanks.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Section J PCT
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
By section J PCT I assume you mean alpine lakes wilderness between Snoqualmie and Stevens.  I also hunt the ALW for high buck. You'll see plenty of hikers and hunters in there in the high buck.  There will be plenty of hunting pressure, especially closer to the main trails like the PCT.  Scouting will help narrow down where to go.  I just started the high buck a few years ago so am not as experienced as others on this sight, and I do a few scouting overnights in the summer to find new areas.  Have yet to connect on a buck in there, but have seen them while scouting.

I personally don't bother with a game camera for the high buck. 

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »
Your best scouting times for high buck are late July/early August, while the velvet antlers are still growing and the bucks tend to spend a bunch more time in the open to protect the growing antlers.  They are very likely to be in those same areas when High Buck opens, just spend a lot less time in the open.  Knowing bucks are there can make the waiting much easier.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. Do you hunt the Stevens or snoqualmie sides more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I hunt the Snoqualmie side.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
Are you hunting the fringes of the timber glassing the whole basins?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
Heart issues don't let me hunt the back country much any more.  Did most of my backcountry mule deer hunting in Wyoming, nearly all of my WA back country deer hunting has been in Chelan County. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
When you say "I have a couple lakes in mind that I would like to hunt" you might want to think twice as that's where most of the people will flock to. Get away from the crowds i.e. the PCT. Think of it more as a chance to get out there than to be successful. The deer change their patterns usually when the velvet comes off around the first of Sept.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »
When you say "I have a couple lakes in mind that I would like to hunt" you might want to think twice as that's where most of the people will flock to. Get away from the crowds i.e. the PCT. Think of it more as a chance to get out there than to be successful. The deer change their patterns usually when the velvet comes off around the first of Sept.

That is great advice.  I really appreciate your input.  Do you keep basecamp at a lake or do you setup camp in the different basins you want to hunt?

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »
You don't want to camp in the basin you want to hunt. A short distance away is much better. It's best to camp in an area where you can access several basins fairly easily.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline DJ_Mack

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
You don't want to camp in the basin you want to hunt. A short distance away is much better. It's best to camp in an area where you can access several basins fairly easily.
Makes sense.   I plan on doing a bear hunt in August before high buck. How long will you hang meat in a game bag before you hike out to put it on ice? I plan on going with 2 other guys and would like to all fill our tags. What do you guys do?

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »

[/quote]
Makes sense.   I plan on doing a bear hunt in August before high buck. How long will you hang meat in a game bag before you hike out to put it on ice? I plan on going with 2 other guys and would like to all fill our tags. What do you guys do?

[/quote]

If the three of you guys go in planning on filling your tags in the highcountry your first year, you're likely going to be let down big time. If you go in ready to learn and eager to see some new country, you're going to have a blast.

No words can describe how difficult hunting up there is. Backpacking is one thing, bombing around off trail is an entirely different game. Now add in trying to pattern animals that literally have 100s of square miles to roam, and then knocking one down in your first year...well that's just not realistic.

My first full season was last year and I had my chances, but just couldn't seal the deal. A more experienced backcountry hunter probably would have made some decisions that would have led to a downed animal, but I just didn't have those experiences to rely on. You're going to make mistakes, just be ready to learn from them. Consistently killing deer up high is no easy feat and the guys that do it have all eaten more tags than they've punched.

My advice, as a guy who was in your shoes not too long ago, is scout scout and scout. Get in shape, then get in better shape. Becoming as physically efficient and mentally disciplined as possible will do wonders for your chances at harvesting a bear or buck, or even better yet, just seeing them (which believe me, is WAY harder than you'd imagine)

Not trying to dissuade you at all, just letting you know that it will suck a lot more than you can ever imagine...which is why we become addicted haha.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Scout
Section J PCT
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »
Thanks Ian for your response. I have been backpacking for years and have completed the wonderland trail, multiple sections of the pct and Grand Canyon hikes. I am no stranger to 20 mile days. I am also training for a marathon. So conditioning will not be an issue. My question though and even unlikely is how long can meat hang in a bag before you need to hike out?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:04:07 PM by DJ_Mack »

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »
Thanks Ian for your response. I have been backpacking for years and have completed the wonderland trail, multiple sections of the pct and Grand Canyon hikes. I am no stranger to 20 mile days. I am also training for a marathon. So conditioning will not be an issue. My question though and even unlikely is how long can meat hang in a bag before you need to hike out?

There are a lot of variables. Getting the hide off and bones out quickly will help. Keep the meat in the coolest place you can find, and in the shade. If you are hanging boned out meat in game bags, remember the meat in the middle isn't getting any air, and will probably retain heat and spoil faster. As long as the meat stays cool and dry to the touch, it should be fine. I don't know a set time.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:15 PM »
if you get the meat cool initially, it doesn't take much to keep it cool. i have hung meat in the shade for four days, after overnight initial cooling with no ill effects. you do have to be around to rotate occasionally throughout the day unless you're deep in the timber

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal