collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Input on the Big 3  (Read 4703 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Input on the Big 3
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
  I am shopping to upgrade my current binocular from Leupold Cascade to either Swaro, Zeiss, or Leica. 10x42 possibly 10x50 and will be my primary glass. Only looking at the top lines in Zeiss Victory and Leica Ultravid. But Swaro am considering both EL or SLC. ( I have read the recent thread on comparison ) Although In the Swaro line I will be looking for the non swarovision version due to my eyes prefering the image in the older version.

Finding info on the Swaro seems easy. But finding info on the other 2 is more difficult, I am looking for any input or real world expereince with either of these binos,  beyond looking through them in store. Along with any warranty experiences, ergonomic preferences, etc... Thanks!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
Re: Input on the Big 3
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »
Can't help with Zeiss or Leica binos but I've been running slc 10x42's for over ten years and they are excellent. I recently upgraded to the hd's but after a year of hunting them don't feel it was necessary, for me the pre hd's were just as good. The slc's adapt nicely to a tripod as well.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:06:02 PM by lewy »
Go hawks

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
  I am shopping to upgrade my current binocular from Leupold Cascade to either Swaro, Zeiss, or Leica. 10x42 possibly 10x50 and will be my primary glass. Only looking at the top lines in Zeiss Victory and Leica Ultravid. But Swaro am considering both EL or SLC. ( I have read the recent thread on comparison ) Although In the Swaro line I will be looking for the non swarovision version due to my eyes prefering the image in the older version.

Finding info on the Swaro seems easy. But finding info on the other 2 is more difficult, I am looking for any input or real world expereince with either of these binos,  beyond looking through them in store. Along with any warranty experiences, ergonomic preferences, etc... Thanks!

Go to the bird forums.  Swaro is so dominant in the hunting community that is has practically pushed the others out.  Zeiss Victory & Leica Ultravid HD Plus are models that are all that.  Nikon EDG is also right in there.  I haven't been on the bird forums lately, but a search engine will get you to where you will find the discussions. 

Offline shootem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »
I love my Swaro's.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
Currently running Leopold BX-3 Mojave pro guides. But as I see these are not a contender for you. What I would do was pick the top of the line Swaro in the zoom that you want and "swarovision" and call it good.

I have never seen anyone with swaro's complain about them and if your willing to spend that type of money just get the best and never regret it. I really like the Swaro EL's, but with the set of binoculars I have being so good already I don't think that I will ever get myself a new pair unless something happens to mine.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
I bought Leica Geovid Hdb in 2014.  I compared to all of the others and again in 2015.  I bought the Leica, because they were the most ergonomically friendly of the range finding binoculars in 2014.  I am still extremely happy with them.  If I were purchasing stand alone binoculars, I would have bought the Swarovski EL HD.  I sat for 3-4 hours with my buddy in Montana on an overcast October day passing binoculars back and forth with him.  We both agreed, that his Swarovski had about a .01% noticeable more light gathering in the shadows we were looking across the canyon into.  outside of that detail, we were both completely content.  both are 10x42

edit for frame of reference, in 2016 I purchased the Swarovski HD spotter, so you can see that I share no specific allegiance.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »

Offline frazierw

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
FWIW, i have the Vortex razor HD's and they are way better than i thought they would be.  I would check them out.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:18:24 AM »
I have been using the Swaro 10x42 EL range binos for several years and love them. The only limitation for me is the laser button is on the left hand side making it hard to hold my bow and range since I am right handed. The Leica rangefinding binos have the button on the right side which would be better. All three of the brands are excellent. I own several pairs from 8x30 to 15x56. If you want to try a pair out stop by and take them for a weekend. 

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! And redi thanks for the generous offer, i will likely take you up on it :tup:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
I have been using the Swaro 10x42 EL range binos for several years and love them. The only limitation for me is the laser button is on the left hand side making it hard to hold my bow and range since I am right handed. The Leica rangefinding binos have the button on the right side which would be better. All three of the brands are excellent. I own several pairs from 8x30 to 15x56. If you want to try a pair out stop by and take them for a weekend.

Leica Geovid HD has been in the Bargain Cave online recently

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
I have Swarovski 10x42 EL for hunting in open country. Really like them. But for hunting in timber I have 8x32 Leica ultravid HD. Much lighter weight and just as good. In fact I use them a lot in open country just because of weight.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
I use a Nikon EDG II in 8x42 for open country and a 6x32 Vortex Viper for hunting in timber.  I use that Viper for Rodeo & sprint car races too.  We have others but these two are the ones I use most.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »
I've been using Swarovski binos for almost 20 years, I love them, they make me a better hunter. But I've looked through plenty of Zeiss and Leica too, both are good but I like the Leica better than the Zeiss, I've been very tempted to buy the Leica Geovid so I don't have to carry a rangefinder.

My truck was broken into in Montana and my binos and other items were stolen, Swarovski overnighted binos by Fedex to the ranch I was hunting, they didn't even charge me for shipping, I had new binos the next day.

My son had a pair of Zeiss that needed repaired, Zeiss was not good to work with and gave him the run around, he got rid of them and he will never buy another Zeiss product.

We both have Leica rangefinders, I'm on my second one after the first was stolen, we've never had a problem with Leica so I can't say for sure how they are to work with regarding repairs.

My Leupold 12x42 spotter was also stolen, I bought another, that model spotter is the best I've found for being lightweight and pretty good optics. It's so much easier to carry I sold my Swarovski spotter. Through the years I sent off the previous Leupold spotter and a couple different Leupold scopes for repairs due to my abusive use, every time Leupold cleaned, repaired, and sent back my optics at no charge. You cannot beat Leupold for service and warranty.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 05:54:26 AM »
I've been using Swarovski binos for almost 20 years, I love them, they make me a better hunter. But I've looked through plenty of Zeiss and Leica too, both are good but I like the Leica better than the Zeiss, I've been very tempted to buy the Leica Geovid so I don't have to carry a rangefinder.

My truck was broken into in Montana and my binos and other items were stolen, Swarovski overnighted binos by Fedex to the ranch I was hunting, they didn't even charge me for shipping, I had new binos the next day.

My son had a pair of Zeiss that needed repaired, Zeiss was not good to work with and gave him the run around, he got rid of them and he will never buy another Zeiss product.

We both have Leica rangefinders, I'm on my second one after the first was stolen, we've never had a problem with Leica so I can't say for sure how they are to work with regarding repairs.

My Leupold 12x42 spotter was also stolen, I bought another, that model spotter is the best I've found for being lightweight and pretty good optics. It's so much easier to carry I sold my Swarovski spotter. Through the years I sent off the previous Leupold spotter and a couple different Leupold scopes for repairs due to my abusive use, every time Leupold cleaned, repaired, and sent back my optics at no charge. You cannot beat Leupold for service and warranty.

ditto Leupold 12-40x60 spotter
ditto Leupold service
ditto Swarro customer service

We use Swarro, Leica, Nikon, Leupold & Vortex sports optics and Swaro, Leupold & Vortex show everybody how much they value their customers when ever you need post purchase customer service.  I haven't used Nikon product service when the chips were down, but gave up on buying  accessories for Bridget's Nikon Field Microscope.  I would never have bought a Nikon EDG binocular as my primary unless I had other binoculars that I could use if they ever need service.  Leica & Zeiss both have great optics products, but their customer service leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Vortex, Leupold & Swaro basically tell ya':  Have we shown you how much we appreciate our customers lately?  Each and every time you need post purchase customer service.   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:15:45 AM by JDHasty »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand