collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: indiscriminate gill netting on Lake Spokane/Long Lake?  (Read 11073 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: indiscriminate gill netting on Lake Spokane/Long Lake?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
It seems important to get a handle on these non-native invasive fish before it's too late. Might already be too late!  :dunno:

Highest bycatch was large-scale sucker (63 total, 57 released alive), tench (55 total, 54 released alive), walleye (35 total, 18 released alive) and largemouth bass (20 total, 15 released alive).

It appears that the state picks and choose which Invasive fish they want to eliminate. Walleye used to be classified as a invasive species until they became a "Cash Cow" for the state.

Walleye are not native to Washington fish, and exactly how they originally entered the state is unknown. The first verification of a walleye in Washington was in 1962, from Banks Lake in eastern Washington. Soon afterwards, populations began to show up in Lake Roosevelt (connected to Banks Lake through a huge pipe and pump). Since then they have spread from these original sites to the remainder of the main stem Columbia River, from near the mouth to the Canadian border and throughout reservoirs in the Columbia Basin Irrigation District.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/walleye/

Another Non-native species the WDFW continue to promote is the " Eastern Brook Trout" . The Dolly Varden is the true native species. But the WDFW still plant Eastern's and now are planting Triploid Eastern's in what appears to be part of Region 3.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it WDFW policy to primarily plant fish in lowland lakes? Isn't the reason triploids are planted in many places is because they cannot reproduce on their own or cross with native fish?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline E-10

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NWFR
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
Wow! Go to work for a day and look what happens to a post?   :hello:

IMHO this post has gotten off track.  :sry: My original post on NWF was asking what was going on with Lake Spokane, and why the carp removal project had turned into something more than a carp removal project. Two days in, it was reported that pike were being retained as well, and I get bycatch, and bycatch kills, it happens.

My biggest concern and shock came from what I saw in the dumpster,  :yike: it looked to me at the time, like someone had used a giant dragnet from Lower Falls Dam to the Nine Mile campground, and threw everything caught in it, in the dumpster. There was a lot more bycatch in there than the list indicates.
And… I probably copped a “what the **** are you doing to my lake” attitude when the man in green told me to get off the dumpster and appeared to be anything but friendly or transparent about what was going on.

***Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the State and Federal park rangers, and for our WDFW game wardens. Every contact I have had with them (excluding the one last week) has been a very pleasant, informative, experience.

Personally, I don’t like carp (unless they’re Koi in a pond) I don’t eat them, I don’t target them, I don’t want them in a lake, river, etc. eating resources that could help grow other species. I’m glad they’re trying to reduce/remove them.

I get that to some the pike pose a huge threat to salmon/steelhead numbers downstream, and others say maybe/maybe not. Personally, I like fishing for pike, catching them, and eating them, yes they are a blast to catch. But… I like steelhead more.

As for walleye, I like fishing for, catching, and eating them. I have spent the last couple of years learning how and where to fish for them and Burbot on Lake Roosevelt. Yes, Roosevelt is a great fishery.

And the other species in Lake Spokane, trout, large and smallmouth bass, crappie, and perch are all fun to catch.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I Ridgeratt promise not :stirthepot:

No I mean it!!   :chuckle:

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
The native species crowd that wants there only to be rainbow trout and salmon in this state should also understand that they are backing the tribes in this and if the tribes get their way you will not have the opportunity to fish at all.

Unbelievable that the same groups that think walleye/smallmouth/northern pike will be the end of the salmon are the very same groups that string as many nets as possible across every river with a salmon run.
:yeah:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline E-10

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
That's why the walleye were released- they are already prolific throughout the Columbia system, same with SM Bass.  Even though they are non native, they are essentially a lost cause for management.  The pike are still a burgeoning species in the system and we might have a chance at some level of control. 

And in reply to this
The native species crowd that wants there only to be rainbow trout and salmon in this state should also understand that they are backing the tribes in this and if the tribes get their way you will not have the opportunity to fish at all.

Unbelievable that the same groups that think walleye/smallmouth/northern pike will be the end of the salmon are the very same groups that string as many nets as possible across every river with a salmon run.

this was just shared to my cell phone http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/25/predator-trap/

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »
It's too bad you weren't able to get a picture of that dumpster. More of a curiosity than anything. Seems like a public dumpster is kind of asking for problems if you're trying to be discrete.  Surprised they didn't just dump them in a pit somewhere?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 04:59:21 AM »
Great piece of info there.

Thanks

Dale you are correct. Triploids are a "Sterile" Genetic Mutation.

triploid
adjective
1. having a chromosome number that is three times the basic or haploid number.
noun

2. a triploid cell or organism.
Origin of triploid
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:08:58 AM by Ridgeratt »

Offline E-10

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
It's too bad you weren't able to get a picture of that dumpster.

Exactly what I was attempting to do when I was instructed by the man in green to get off that dumpster.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
What do you suppose was in that dumpster besides non-native species? A ton or two native species like large spawner perch,crappie and bluegill etc? What else is native to the lake?  Did they dump them in the land fill? Sad deal all the way around.
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »

Hate to rain on the party, but rainbows in that lake aren't native. 

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »

Maybe not native to that particular lake but native to this state.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:24:18 PM by singleshot12 »
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »

There are only two options, native or introduced.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 05:05:24 AM »

There are only two options, native or introduced.

The redband trout is Spokane River's signature native fish

Eastern Regional Office  The redband trout is Spokane River's signature native fish
by Jim Bellatty, Water Quality Program, Eastern Regional Office The Columbia River redband trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdnerii) is a subspecies of rainbow trout found in well-defined geographical distributions throughout Idaho, Montana and Washington, including the Spokane River basin.  The redband trout has larger, more rounded spots than the rainbow trout and has orange-red color around the lateral line with very distinct white tips on the anal, dorsal, and pectoral fins. They exceed 10 inches at maturity and thrive in clean, cool, relatively small and low-sloped streams such as the Spokane River.  As with other trout, they feed on insects, crustaceans and forage fish and they spawn late April through mid-June depending on water temperatures and levels. The fry (young fish) typically emerge in mid-July from the gravel in which the eggs were laid.  The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) conducted a survey in October 2007 of the redband trout in Spokane River, and they found some startling results. In the1980s and 1990s, fisheries managers estimated redband trout populations in the upper Spokane River between 2,000 and 19,000 fish. The 2008 survey found fewer than 1,200 fish.  Barometer of aquatic health  In one critical reach of the upper Spokane River, they found 61 redband trout per kilometer. Historically, this reach supported 222 redband trout per kilometer. This 75 percent reduction in the redband trout population over 30 years is troubling, especially knowing that redband trout are considered to be a priority, sentinel species by WDFW and a barometer of aquatic health.  Scientists are still sorting out the reasons for the decline in the redband trout population, but they point to competing demands on the river system. Those include recreational boating, withdrawals from the Spokane Valley/Rathdrum Prairie aquifer for development, wastewater discharges into the river and hydroelectric dams. Poaching and predation are also factors. Some anglers aren't following the catch-andrelease rules, despite two decades of catch-and-release regulations.  In addition, smallmouth bass appear to be feasting on redband trout. The non-native bass were illegally introduced to Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho. They spread into the river, where the redband trout became part of their diet.  Despite these challenges, there is hope for the future of redband trout based on increased outreach and education efforts by organizations such as the Spokane Falls Trout Unlimited, the Spokane River Redband Coalition, the Spokane Riverkeeper, Avista Corp., WDFW and others. Signs along the river have heightened the awareness about these fish in both the community and among fishermen.  Ecology also plays an important role in the protection and the sustainability of redband trout with our regulatory responsibilities including hydroelectric dam operations, toxic site cleanups, spill response, pollution prevention, water quality standards, instream flows, shoreline protection, total maximum daily load plans (TMDLs), point source discharge permitting, nonpoint source pollution control, stormwater management, and more.  The wild redband trout is a signature native fish for the Spokane River and they deserve our continued attention and protection.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/geographic/spokane/images/062012-redbandtrout.pdf

:dunno: :dunno:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »
I thought we were talking about the lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
I thought we were talking about the lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The river is the lake.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]