collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bye bye Traeger  (Read 8709 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Bye bye Traeger
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
I may be called a blasphemer or a heretic, but I have given my Traeger away! By by, good riddance, bin voyage, yep all of it! I was tired of replacing hot rods and using electricity to cook and smoke.
So I did this! Bought an oval extra large Primo ceramic grill/smoker! I have not been happier! I got my buddy to order it for me through the company he works for, saved me $350 over retail! Then I found this table made of reclaimed barn wood on CL for....yes $100! So a little cutting, sanding, staining, then lifting, I have anew BBQ table! I have made chicken thighs, baby back ribs, steaks, burgers, all over mesquite lump charcoal or Kingsfords and it's been awesome! I have not even thought about the traeger!!

Dude looks awesome!
Personally never been a huge fan of Traeger. Smokes just fine but never get get it hot enough for a good sear. Just my opinion. I'll stick to a separate smoker and a Weber grill.

This is what I'm going to do.  A purpose built smoker and a ceramic grill.  My Treager is on it's last leg, I've had it for a long time (10 years?)  I don't regret buying it and enjoyed the heck out of it, but I've outgrown it. 

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »
I've never owned a traeger never will. You simply can't match or come close to the flavor of smoking/grilling over charcoal and wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is my take on it.

absolutely! Do I get jealous sometimes when I'm stuck tending the fire all day while others turn a switch and walk away? Sure. Does mine taste better for more reasons than one? Absolutely.

Yes, I am a Traeger (or the like) racist.  :chuckle:

:chuckle: I feel the same way sometimes, but then I forget all about it when people say my cookin' is the best they had. Hell, most the time I smoke I have to eat right at my grill cuz by the time I'm done and everyone's dished out there's hardly anything left.

Can't beat good Ole wood and charcoal flavor. It's time well spent and worth every sweaty smelly minute. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Ddouble

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
Love my ceramic cooker. Don't use kingsford in it though. Just starting the smoke house build now for my cold smoking endeavors. Some say I have a problem... 2 Big Green Eggs, 1 x Caja China Roasting box, 1 x little chief, Weber and now the smoke house.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
I love my Kamado Grill and I love my Traeger.  They both can be used to make good food. :drool:  I prefer the Traeger for all day, lower temp cooking.  The Kamado is great for higher temp cooking.  Sometimes I will sear some meat on the Kamado and then switch it over to the Traeger. :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Love my ceramic cooker. Don't use kingsford in it though. Just starting the smoke house build now for my cold smoking endeavors. Some say I have a problem... 2 Big Green Eggs, 1 x Caja China Roasting box, 1 x little chief, Weber and now the smoke house.

I don't either.  Lump charcoal in the ceramic, Kingsford in the offset. 

I have had more people cock their head sideways and look dumbfounded when they find out I use Kingsford in the offset, but that is exactly what I use. 

Sometimes I will throw some wood in the offset, if I want a little more smoke flavor, but usually it is just straight-up Kingsford.   

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Can't beat good Ole wood and charcoal flavor. It's time well spent and worth every sweaty smelly minute.

Haha! Because of the smoke I usually end up having to shower to get the smokey sweaty stink off. This has actually improved my love life! 😜 Who knew this would be a side effect of buying a smoker! 😂

Offline Ddouble

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 05:47:23 AM »
Can't beat good Ole wood and charcoal flavor. It's time well spent and worth every sweaty smelly minute.

Haha! Because of the smoke I usually end up having to shower to get the smokey sweaty stink off. This has actually improved my love life! 😜 Who knew this would be a side effect of buying a smoker! 😂
My wife loves it when I come in smelling of the BBQ says it's better than any cologne.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »

My wife loves it when I come in smelling of the BBQ says it's better than any cologne.

Ain't that the truth!

When wife and I were still dating or perhaps engaged, she waitressed in an Italian food restaurant, then we went to college together and she started working in a nursing home. Man, what a contrast. 

Nothing will tamp down a love life like coming home smelling like urine and formaldehyde, and it won't wash off that easy    :puke:

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
A friend has an egg.  In fact, he has three.  He is an amazing cook.  There is a Facebook site for people who have eggs.  You should look it up. 
275 down 2

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
I don't have a Traeger, but two Thanksgivings ago I had a prime rib cooked on one and I would certainly eat another one given the chance.

I have cooked on charcoal (lump), electric, propane and hardwood and they all make a pretty dang good product if the cook knows what he is doing.  My main cooker now is an electric smoker and the convenience of set and forget it is whey I bought it.  I looked at the BGE and clones, but they were just too much dinero.

From my experience, cooking it right is more important than what equipment you are using unless you have a propane grill.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
I have a cheepo Wal-Mart grill that does both charcoal and propane. I hardly ever use the propane side but the charcoal side gets used a lot with some wood in the mix for the smoky flavor. My daughter 7 year old daughter once asked, dad why do you smell so good every time you come back inside from checking the grill? I hose off before I crawl into bed with the wife but the kids love the smoky smell.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
Oh, best smell around!
I have a whole chicken and 2 halves on the grill right now, a mix of charcoal and briquet with some half seasoned cherry chunks added for smoke. 270-280 degrees and 2 hours, it is looking good!

As good a traeger is, it can't do a steak. That is an immediate deduction of points in my scale. I have done 4 choice rib roasts....ya all just incredible! Hard to beat that on a Traeger.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]