collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Incentive Permits ARE Real!!  (Read 9042 times)

Offline beardown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Incentive Permits ARE Real!!
« on: May 16, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
My hunting partner called me last week and said, "You are not going to believe this, but my dad drew an Incentive Deer Permit!"  So he gets to hunt all seasons, in ANY unit in Wa State, including special permit units, as long as he uses the weapon of the season. Looks like we have our work cut out. Choices, choices...  We are leaning toward rifle hunts in late November for mule deer in areas accessible by truck because his ol man is in his mid 70s and doesnt get around real well. We have a place to stay in Entiat, which makes it easy for hunting those few units around there, but will travel wherever we need to be.  Anybody ever have this tag before?  Any Ideas?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:39:29 AM by bearpaw »

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Incentive Permits ARE Real!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
Man I hope he wacks a biggon!! Congrats!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline beardown

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Thanks. We are going to make a few trips over this summer to learn some more areas, but things will be a lot different when the snow and the rut hits.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
Congrats your partner and his dad. Will be an epic hunting season for him.

He'll have to pick a deer species to take the permit for FYI. I.E. mule deer, blacktail, whitetail. It's not a statewide permit.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
Heck, I'd just plan on hunting the Entiat unit then, since he has a place to stay. He could hunt Nov 1-20 with a rifle then again December 1-30.

Offline beardown

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »
Oh I didnt realize that he had to pick species. Buddy said statewide. I will let him know. I believe it is also an additional deer tag. He usually shoots the first blacktail doe he sees with his muzzleloader and was talking about shooting 2 does this year!  Buddy told his ol man that he was NOT burning a glory tag on another doe. Haha

Offline beardown

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:51 PM »
Just read through the info. Looks like it IS  a statewide tag, but you have to report which region you are hunting in right before you hunt. If you want to change regions, just have to call and let them know.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
Guess I didn't draw then.  Congrats on the draw, what a great tag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
Beardown,

These are statewide tags and work like a governor's tag. You can use a rifle in any open unit. I helped someone with an incentive tag a few years ago. If you are hunting mule deer make sure you hunt from November 21st - early December. By mid December the rut is over and the better bucks tuck back into the holes.

It's a great tag. Good luck!

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:30:11 PM »
Gotta be careful though which units you're hunting on November 21st. Entiat you can't because of the Nov 21-30 archery permit. Other units like Chiwawa and Slide Ridge have a December 1-8 archery season, and others have a November 25-30 muzzleloader season. But there's definitely plenty of opportunity in Chelan and Okanogan county units in late November/ early December.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:38:21 PM »
Gotta be careful though which units you're hunting on November 21st. Entiat you can't because of the Nov 21-30 archery permit. Other units like Chiwawa and Slide Ridge have a December 1-8 archery season, and others have a November 25-30 muzzleloader season. But there's definitely plenty of opportunity in Chelan and Okanogan county units in late November/ early December.

Can't you still hunt those units with the appropriate in-season weapon type? I get the hunter in this thread will be using a rifle but for others isn't that the case?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »

Can't you still hunt those units with the appropriate in-season weapon type? I get the hunter in this thread will be using a rifle but for others isn't that the case?

Yeah, I just meant this guy who wants to hunt with a rifle. Even if it were me, I wouldn't waste my time hunting with anything but a rifle.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:42 AM »
You boys may have your work cut out for ya on this hunt with the physical limitations of the hunter (it's my wife's uncle) but what a great tag to get. I know you guys know your stuff and get after it so with the right weather and a little luck in the Entiat you could get him a good buck without having to stray too far from the truck. Make sure you dont give any bullets to him til it's time to shoot tho or he might end it quick on a good enuf buck. :chuckle: :chuckle:  Good luck on your scouting and the hunt. Everyone in the family is jealous of his good fortune. :tup:

Offline beardown

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:28:05 AM »
So am I understanding this correctly?  If there is not an archery or muzzle season open at a certain time, he can still rifle hunt even if there isnt a rifle season in progress?  I know if it is an archery or muzzle season, he has to be weapon appropriate.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 06:30:21 AM »

Yeah, I just meant this guy who wants to hunt with a rifle. Even if it were me, I wouldn't waste my time hunting with anything but a rifle.
:yeah:  I'm all for adventure but with an incentive tag I'd be a rifle hunter for sure. 

Good luck to the hunter - it's great to see the older guys draw stuff like this.  Hope to see a big buck and a bigger grin in some pics later this year!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]