collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: Mountain goat conflict reduction  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Mountain goat conflict reduction
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
Related question on goat conflict reduction hunts.

If you draw this tag, are you told by the State a specific area within the defined tag parameters, or specific goat to hunt?  Or can you hunt the whole defined area for the tag and take an animal of your choice?

I would not want to get drawn for this once in a lifetime tag and be told to take a young nanny....

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01903/wdfw01903.pdf

Yeah, that is what prompted my questions.  Was wondering if it was treated like a master hunter hunt where they tell you a specific place to go, and limit what you can and cannot take based on what the "conflict" was.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
I don't believe so and I don't see anything that insinuates that. There have been a few of these hunt stories posted on here. Don't recall anything like that happening.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
I hiked the area last year and there are lots of goats when the hikers start showing up to like the people's pee.  I have posted last year as well for people to really be sensitive to harvesting the goat.  If you get drawn please post on this site so you can kill your goat in the evening when no hikers are around and have enough help to pack it down quickly and safely with out any hikers seeing it. 

If you kill it in front of a bunch of hikers and they video it... This hunt is over.  The Federal Fish and Wildlife will kill them and no one will get to hunt them.
275 down 2

Offline SteelheadDC

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
Thanks TheHunt for reminding people of this. I think the winners of this tag should receive some sort of packet that would outline stuff like this. Everyone has video on there phone now, someone blows up a goat midday on the trail and we will get to watch the last hunt on Inside Edition

Offline croix

• Sourdough
  • 2005 Blacktail
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
No video, but found this on WTA from last year:

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2016-09-20.2470366531

"20-30 people at the top that had to see the goat get killed"

Personally, I wouldn't let that stop me. I don't think I could pass up a legal goat in an effort to not offend someone, and hope that I can get one later in the day when nobody else is around.

-croix
Live your life in such a way that if someone were to speak poorly of you, nobody would believe them.

Browning A-Bolt II, 30-06
Hoyt Alphamax 32, 70/28

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
I am in agreement with you. but I think if enough Hunt Washington folks were up there they could wait for the people to leave and than knock it down and get it taken care of, or get up there early and knock it down and hiked down when the people are starting to hike up. 
275 down 2

Offline Rob

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 06:56:41 PM »
I don't believe so and I don't see anything that insinuates that. There have been a few of these hunt stories posted on here. Don't recall anything like that happening.

Good deal, maybe I'll actually put in for one of these next time rather than just do points!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
Thanks TheHunt for reminding people of this. I think the winners of this tag should receive some sort of packet that would outline stuff like this. Everyone has video on there phone now, someone blows up a goat midday on the trail and we will get to watch the last hunt on Inside Edition

I hate to see this become the status quo.  Killing an animal legally, ethically, and because there is a burgeoning population coming into conflict with the exact people that are horrified with this, but having to skulk and hide the hunt so some ignorant idiots are not offended offends me. I hate the fact our society is ruled by this ignorant vocal group. Personally I would like to see them all gored by a goat just wanting to defend their right to eat their sweaty leather boots of lick their piss off the ground.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
So, if WDFW sends you a hunt info packet and of course we are required to report our hunt results (I believe most OIL type tags also ask for more details like # of animals seen and such), then who ever draws these tags should buy a hat or jacket that says' "research" on it...nothing more, just "research" and wear it once they stalk the goat and kill it, for the pack out...then when a "hiker" ask/gets mad, just let them know that goats in the area are not native, and there is a conflict issue with them where one killed a hiker and you are doing research for WDFW and part of that research is to thin/cull the possible conflict goats that are destroying the native vegetation and potentially harmful to people...leave it at that, as it is the truth, you are doing research for WDFW and you are culling a conflict goat that doesn't belong there to begin with!

Just my thoughts...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Katmai Guy

• IBEW, Local 46
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
Grade-Creek, when I drew this tag in '14. Mt Ellinor was my last choice of the area to hunt because of the high use of the area by hikers.  The day I hiked to the top to hunt every hiker saw my rifle on my back and asked what I was hunting.  I told them goats and proceeded to explain the scenario the bios had told me with them being an invasive species and the park service wanting to eliminate them and the deal that WDFW and the park service came up with.  Once explained, ( if they didn't already have an issue with the goats)everybody I spoke to that day agreed they had to go.
  On the flip side, I wouldn't have shot one in front of a bunch of tree huggers, if for nothing else, just to avoid a human conflict hunt. :chuckle:
  that hunt takes the ability to educate the non hunters as to why, so as to not shine a bad light on us hunters as a whole, in my opinion.
  Now the area is twice as big and it appears easier to avoid contact with the majority of the hikers if drawn.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

* Recent Topics

Animals in stores. by JDHasty
[Today at 05:42:04 AM]

Price? by daydreamn
[Today at 05:32:22 AM]

What Woods do you use for your wild game? by lamrith
[Today at 05:28:52 AM]

Dumb question by Timberstalker
[Today at 05:24:23 AM]

Re: Chain Reaction Game by hemi
[Today at 05:04:24 AM]