collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain goat conflict reduction  (Read 10666 times)

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Mountain goat conflict reduction
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
I am in agreement with you. but I think if enough Hunt Washington folks were up there they could wait for the people to leave and than knock it down and get it taken care of, or get up there early and knock it down and hiked down when the people are starting to hike up. 
275 down 2

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 06:56:41 PM »
I don't believe so and I don't see anything that insinuates that. There have been a few of these hunt stories posted on here. Don't recall anything like that happening.

Good deal, maybe I'll actually put in for one of these next time rather than just do points!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
Thanks TheHunt for reminding people of this. I think the winners of this tag should receive some sort of packet that would outline stuff like this. Everyone has video on there phone now, someone blows up a goat midday on the trail and we will get to watch the last hunt on Inside Edition

I hate to see this become the status quo.  Killing an animal legally, ethically, and because there is a burgeoning population coming into conflict with the exact people that are horrified with this, but having to skulk and hide the hunt so some ignorant idiots are not offended offends me. I hate the fact our society is ruled by this ignorant vocal group. Personally I would like to see them all gored by a goat just wanting to defend their right to eat their sweaty leather boots of lick their piss off the ground.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
So, if WDFW sends you a hunt info packet and of course we are required to report our hunt results (I believe most OIL type tags also ask for more details like # of animals seen and such), then who ever draws these tags should buy a hat or jacket that says' "research" on it...nothing more, just "research" and wear it once they stalk the goat and kill it, for the pack out...then when a "hiker" ask/gets mad, just let them know that goats in the area are not native, and there is a conflict issue with them where one killed a hiker and you are doing research for WDFW and part of that research is to thin/cull the possible conflict goats that are destroying the native vegetation and potentially harmful to people...leave it at that, as it is the truth, you are doing research for WDFW and you are culling a conflict goat that doesn't belong there to begin with!

Just my thoughts...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
Grade-Creek, when I drew this tag in '14. Mt Ellinor was my last choice of the area to hunt because of the high use of the area by hikers.  The day I hiked to the top to hunt every hiker saw my rifle on my back and asked what I was hunting.  I told them goats and proceeded to explain the scenario the bios had told me with them being an invasive species and the park service wanting to eliminate them and the deal that WDFW and the park service came up with.  Once explained, ( if they didn't already have an issue with the goats)everybody I spoke to that day agreed they had to go.
  On the flip side, I wouldn't have shot one in front of a bunch of tree huggers, if for nothing else, just to avoid a human conflict hunt. :chuckle:
  that hunt takes the ability to educate the non hunters as to why, so as to not shine a bad light on us hunters as a whole, in my opinion.
  Now the area is twice as big and it appears easier to avoid contact with the majority of the hikers if drawn.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal