collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking to buy a New Rifle  (Read 16050 times)

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Looking to buy a New Rifle
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »
I'm in the market for a new rifle scope combo. I had my mind set on a remington 700 in .300 win. mag, but after recalling the recalled triggers I've lost trust in them. I was looking at the Mossberg patriot, but I'm looking for thoughts and opinions. All I know now is what caliber I want and I'm thinking it will have a Vortex Diamondback hp 4-16x40 or a Viper 6.5-20x50.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Looking to buy a New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
if you want an awesome shooter go ahead and get the Rem 700 .300 Win mag.Just get the Timney trigger for it.Nothing else is gonna have a trigger good enough either.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
I think Savage makes a really nice rifle without the quality control issues that many manufacturers seem to have in recent years.

Check out this one:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16TROPHYHUNTERXP

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
I would think twice about the 6.5 to 20 scope unless you are only shooting at the range.  6.5 is too much for anything inside of 80 yards.  I mainly archery hunt but killed one buck and one elk at fair close range with my rifle.  even at the lowest magnification of my scope 4.5 it was way too much.  I couldn't find the critter in my scope and when I did all I saw was hair.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:43 PM »
I think Savage makes a really nice rifle without the quality control issues that many manufacturers seem to have in recent years.

Check out this one:

This exact rifle, chambered in .300 Win Mag with this scope: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-hs-t-4-16x44-riflescope-with-vmr-1-moa-reticle/reticle is my elk/bear/hopefully moose rifle. I love it.

I have also have a Savage .243 that I use for deer with a Nikon 4.5-18 http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/riflescopes/prostaff-5-4.5-18x40-matte-bdc.html on top.

Between those two guns, I don't think I'll ever need to buy another rifle, as I have all my bases covered for all sizes of game. Plus they shoot so well and are so tough that anything fancier/ "more accurate" wouldn't be utilized with my abilities, and couldn't handle the abuse these guns take.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
I would think twice about the 6.5 to 20 scope unless you are only shooting at the range.  6.5 is too much for anything inside of 80 yards.  I mainly archery hunt but killed one buck and one elk at fair close range with my rifle.  even at the lowest magnification of my scope 4.5 it was way too much.  I couldn't find the critter in my scope and when I did all I saw was hair.
That's about what I was thinking. If all was perfect and could have exactly what I want it would be 2-16x50. That narrows that part down at least.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
if you want an awesome shooter go ahead and get the Rem 700 .300 Win mag.Just get the Timney trigger for it.Nothing else is gonna have a trigger good enough either.  :twocents:

Completely agree, you will be OK with the trigger. If not there are many options trigger wise for the Remington 700 available. Exellent rifle, great chambering. Nothing wrong with the 6.5-20 on a hunting rifle. Over the years I have taken allot of game with a Leupold 6.5-20 on many different chambering. Bears at point blank on 6.5X and 20X for the long stuff for deer, Elk and chucks. A 4-16 or 6-18 would be my next choice optics wise for the .300 Win Mag. You can really reach out with it.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:26 PM »

Haha that's funny!!!!
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »

Check out this one:

What quality control issues do you speak of??

If it's Remington, I keep hearing, but not seeing....
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »
Go see what fits and feels the best to you in your budget. I like and own rem 700s, Savage & Tikka. All shoot good and have their flaws. Remingtons require a trigger as suggested. 6.5x20 is not too much to make a close shot and if you want a great deal on a viper 6.5x20 go to cameraland ny. :twocents:

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 06:49:46 AM »
I bought my son a Patriot in 300 win mag.  There is a lot of value there for the dollar.

It shoots fairly well.  It will never get tacti-cool fake snipers that live on the internet excited about the groups it shoots but each shot is within reason.

The trigger is nice, the fit and finish is okay.  It will never be a tact driver or a family heirloom, however I am sure it will be dropping a deer in 5 month

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
The trigger issue was resolved, I still would get another 700. The Sportsman's Warehouse has M700 long range on sale until May 29th for $499.99. In calibers 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM. That's after rebate.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
I have the 700 with the 6.5-20, love it and wouldn't change a thing.  I don't hunt thick stuff where a 50 yard shot comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
I assume that this new rifle will be used for deer and elk and maybe bear.
Having hunted western Washington for 45 years I have rarely used more than 6X magnification.
At one time I used 3X9 Leopold VariXII scopes on my 7MM RM.
After  a few years of shooting elk and deer at no more than 250 yards I went back to the 2x7 VariXII.
I prefer the smaller bell as it sits lower on the receiver and provides plenty of light.
I also have the same scope on my .338 (Both Sako Finnbears).
The .338 has a 6 mil dot (Black) which I really like.
I have used the same setup in Idaho and Montana with no problems.

It is my opinion that many hunters put more faith in the optics and long range potential than actual hunting skills.
Just cause you see an animal at 600 yards and have 20X scope doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to minimize the distance.
This enables us to make more positive shots and minimize wind drift and the myriad of other factors which affect trajectory.

I carry 10X40 binoculars and also have a 28X fixed mini spotting scope to size up animals.
as for shot placement, if I needed 16X, it is to far for my comfort level, but to each his own.

I also agree with CRUNCHY with respect to 6.5 being a bit more magnification than is practical in the timber.
To me, 257s comment (Ha Ha) shows his ignorance or lack of experience with regards to short shots, particularly in the timber.
During late buck, 2015 I shot a pretty nice buck at 40 feet, (17 paces us a steep slope).
I had the scope on 4X  and still had to trace the shot down from the head to back and then lower the Dot to the chest.
6X in the timber is pretty tough in that you diminish the available light and minimize the sight picture.

Obviously everyone is different, but for me 2X7 or 3X9 is ideal for my style of hunting.
Also, the older (1970s) Sako Rifles in 7MM Mag and/or .338 WM.

Good Luck.
Rob.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 09:04:41 AM »
There's a reason the 3-9x40 scopes are by far the most popular variable rifle scope ever made.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]