collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Raccoon Trapping  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Raccoon Trapping
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »
Now that I have completed the trapping class that was put on last month. I am starting to acquire the things I need for this coming season.
Not dating myself, but I seem remember an old Herter's pamphlet giving pointer's. I seem to remember that they used a box or a board with a ball on a string. They guest would reach into the hole and grab the ball and then didn't let go. All they would have to do is let go. Then they are free.

Being the "Enemy of Good".  Thinking outside the box. Just wondering if I am crossing any lines?

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Raccoon Trapping
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
In the old days one would be to drill a 1" hole in a log and toe nail in 4 horse shoe nails at a angle . Stuff a chunk of fish in the back of it .when the coon reaches in grabs it the nails kinda hold his arm and he won't let go
That's what I've always heard but never actually seen it done

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
Since they won't let go then could this be considered a "leg hold"?
I think I remember a wooden box with semi soft rubber ball suspended on a string that won't pass the hole?   :dunno:

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
If it worked I am sure one would hear about people using it successfully.
I have never heard of anyone catching a coon this way.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

Being the "Enemy of Good".  Thinking outside the box. Just wondering if I am crossing any lines?

Back to your question.
I would think you are.  Differently if you put nails in on an angle.  We outlawed foot-hold traps with teeth in them years ago.

Why even try to trap an animal this way when a cage traps works great?
just my two cents  :twocents:
JC   :hello:

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »

Back to your question.
I would think you are.  Differently if you put nails in on an angle.  We outlawed foot-hold traps with teeth in them years ago.

Why even try to trap an animal this way when a cage traps works great?
just my two cents  :twocents:

I am always working on a better mouse trap to coin a saying.

If you review I was asked if anyone had heard of this perhaps not making myself clear.
I also was not the individual who suggested using Nails.
I found the information I was looking for and appears that the people used a shiny coin on a string.
I am also getting ready to build some Box traps. I might try to incorporate the coin into the trigger which would make it a little more selective on the target.

But I do thank you for your response.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:35:06 PM by Ridgeratt »

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »

Oh I knew what you were saying.

Animals are funny.  Coon are  funny next to river otter.  I can tell you stories of what I use to catch both of them when I was in business.
Example; river otter are hard to catch on a boat dock in a cage trap (sometimes).
I use to put a cage trap down on the dock and throw in a tennis ball or just a piece of "rope".  Something for them to play with.   :chuckle: :chuckle:  Next day, yep there it was.

As for the coin.  I heard about that too.  I've heard guys using that on foot-hold traps set in the water for those full moon nights.
I was in business for 30 years.  The first year in business I caught 485 of those bandits.  I think I used a few tricks.

Good luck on making that better mouse trap, their fun to make.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
  I do know if you are camping near a creek and there are racoons that visit the campsite you will be entertained all evening. Toss 'em sugar cubes and then the comedy show starts as they wash them off in the creek and go crazy looking for the now dissolved sugar cube they think they dropped. Goes on all night long, they never figure it out.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »
Hope this is not Hijacking !  If so please scold me and I can start a new thread.  :chuckle:

If a private land owner traps a Raccoon ( or other wild critter ) that is invading a barn or property, can he give the Raccoon to a licensed trapper?   Or does the Licensed trapper need to come out and set the traps?  Otherwise, I guess I have to ask wdfw for permission to relocate or shoot and bury?

Currently starting an effort to get rid of a raccoon that is pestering our area, neighbors got it out from under their porch, now he is thinking my barn is pretty nice.    >:(    Have trail cam pics from the last few nights of his poking around.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »
Hope this is not Hijacking !  If so please scold me and I can start a new thread.  :chuckle:

If a private land owner traps a Raccoon ( or other wild critter ) that is invading a barn or property, can he give the Raccoon to a licensed trapper?   Or does the Licensed trapper need to come out and set the traps?  Otherwise, I guess I have to ask wdfw for permission to relocate or shoot and bury?

Currently starting an effort to get rid of a raccoon that is pestering our area, neighbors got it out from under their porch, now he is thinking my barn is pretty nice.    >:(    Have trail cam pics from the last few nights of his poking around.

A landowner or his agent does not need any permit to trap a problem raccoon on the private property owned by the landowner. The raccoon can only be dispatched on the spot or released on the spot. it cannot be relocated. As far as after it is dispatched it belongs to the landowner and he can give it away to whom ever. I doubt anyone would want it this time of year.
The one caveat is if you are the agent you must have a WCO permit to charge for your service.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
A monkey trap

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

Just use a live trap and once you catch Rocky if that trap happens to fall into the back of your vehicle and your vehicle ends up in downtown Seattle after dark and the trap falls out and the door opens releasing Rocky, I don't think anyone could blame you. Besides with all of those city slickers raving about saving animals I am sure they would appreciate seeing a live raccoon in their garage or kitchen...

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 11:58:50 PM »

Just use a live trap and once you catch Rocky if that trap happens to fall into the back of your vehicle and your vehicle ends up in downtown Seattle after dark and the trap falls out and the door opens releasing Rocky, I don't think anyone could blame you. Besides with all of those city slickers raving about saving animals I am sure they would appreciate seeing a live raccoon in their garage or kitchen...

If you do that and you are stopped with a live raccoon in the back of your vehicle you are going to get a ticket. We had a member a number of years ago who received a ticket because he wanted to show off a bobcat in a live trap. Someone reported it and it cost him a thousand bucks.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:14:22 AM »
Now that I have completed the trapping class that was put on last month. I am starting to acquire the things I need for this coming season.
Not dating myself, but I seem remember an old Herter's pamphlet giving pointer's. I seem to remember that they used a box or a board with a ball on a string. They guest would reach into the hole and grab the ball and then didn't let go. All they would have to do is let go. Then they are free.

What your talking about may be considered a leg hold type trap.I would check with your local warden before you work on your new traps.

(2) “Body-gripping trap” means a trap that grips an animal's body or body part. Body-gripping trap includes, but is not limited to, steel-jawed leghold traps, padded-jaw leghold traps, Conibear traps, neck snares, and nonstrangling foot snares. Cage and box traps, suitcase-type live beaver traps, and common rat and mouse traps are not considered body-gripping traps.

This set of Washington laws describes unlawful trapping. A person is guilty of misdemeanor unlawful trapping if the person sets out traps without the necessary licenses or permits; violates any rule on seasons or bag limits; or fails to identify the owner of the traps or devices with a tag or inscription. The director may revoke the trapper's license of a person placing unauthorized traps on private property and may remove those traps. It is unlawful to use or authorize the use of any steel-jawed leghold trap, neck snare, or other body-gripping trap to capture any mammal for recreation or commerce in fur except as provided in Section 77.15.194.

And the worst thing is u posted on the internet,and this forum.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »
hunter 399 is correct. What's more the phrase "but not limited to" in the law means the only thing you can legally use are the type traps mentioned at the end , "cage and box traps, suitcase type live beaver traps and common rat and mouse traps".
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter