collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: So...possible dumb question...  (Read 3439 times)

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
So...possible dumb question...
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
So, I know that in some cases auctions and raffles can be tax deductible when it's going to certain organizations. Is that possible with Washington big game auctions and raffles?
If it's a dumb question, I'll just go back to the cooking section. Ha
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: So...possible dumb question...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
I'd think it might depend on how good of an accountant you have.  If your hunting expenses are part of your cooking (and it's business); then I'd imagine you might be able to swing it, especially for the OIL species. 

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »
Right string, wrong yo-yo. Otherwise we could deduct lottery tickets because some of the money may go to schools. Not gonna fly man.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:45:06 AM »
I know this was not exactly what you were looking for but it is not as big of stretch to be able to write some things off.

Charity Auctions. Donors who purchase items at a charity auction may claim a charitable contribution deduction for the excess of the purchase price paid for an item over its fair market value. The donor must be able to show, however, that he or she knew that the value of the item was less than the amount paid

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charity-auctions
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:54:10 AM by smdave »
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:42:46 AM »
I'd think it might depend on how good of an accountant you have.  If your hunting expenses are part of your cooking (and it's business); then I'd imagine you might be able to swing it, especially for the OIL species. 

That is my thinking.  Self-employed and/or working on a wild-game cookbook or video?

This is kind of on point and gives you some things to think about.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3428618-i-have-expenses-from-writing-a-book-but-it-was-not-published-in-tax-year

Otherwise, WDFW or WA is not a tax exempt organization for which you can use charitable deduction rules.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 06:31:02 AM »
Right string, wrong yo-yo. Otherwise we could deduct lottery tickets because some of the money may go to schools. Not gonna fly man.
You can deduct lottery tickets if you have income from the lottery.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Since the only way to hunt the OIL critters is through permit and raffle, the only way to have a business specialize on, for example--cooking up a bighorn, would be to contribute to the raffle/special permit. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
There are two qualifying factors for what the OP is asking about. First, the payment must be made to a qualified charitable organization. Second, the payment must exceed the value of the goods or services received.

This was referenced by smdave:

Charity Auctions. Donors who purchase items at a charity auction may claim a charitable contribution deduction for the excess of the purchase price paid for an item over its fair market value. The donor must be able to show, however, that he or she knew that the value of the item was less than the amount paid

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charity-auctions

For example, if you purchased a sheep tag at an auction for $500,000, and could prove to the IRS that the value of that tag was less than $500,000, the portion in excess of the value could be considered a charitable donation. If the value of the tag was $100,000, you paid $100,000 for the tag and made a $400,000 charitable donation.

WDFW is not a recognized charitable donation. Even if it were, you would have to prove that what you paid was greater than what you received from a raffle or auction.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
Thanks Guys. I had a feeling it wasn't but was just making sure I wasn't missing something.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
I know this was not exactly what you were looking for but it is not as big of stretch to be able to write some things off.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1