collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backcountry phone  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Backcountry phone
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 08:31:43 AM »
DeLorme InReach SE, though there are newer models now.  Direct satellite texting from anywhere on earth and it works way better than satellite phones for a fraction of the cost.  Send text or e-mail to any smart phone or computer or other InReach.  I have used it in deep forest loaded with wet snow in deep canyons of the North Cascades, under heavy old growth trees in rain on the Olympic Peninsula, plus Canadian Rockies, Northern Saskatchewan, Yukon, Cape Hatteras, etc.  Best wilderness communication device in my lifetime thus far.  Mine was about $400 at REI I think, plus a monthly subscription of $15 (?). 

I don't bother with phone in iffy country, just take the InReach.  It sends a lat/long location and mark on Google earth with each message, showing the spot from which the message was sent.  Compose message at the time, such as:  Two flat tires, bring a spare here; I am camped two miles from where we planned; my sleeping bag is lonely...

I have my cell phone along in my vehicle and will check to see if it works but don't count on it.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »
Is that the one you can program to send a message every so often with your location automatically?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »
A phone will easily last a weekend used for maps, gps and pics as long as you do what the above guys said.

For emergencies, I prefer a dedicated EPIRB although the spot type devices seem to be getting more reliable.

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »
Is that the one you can program to send a message every so often with your location automatically?

Yes, at least I think so.  Mine has gazillions of bells and whistles I never use.  I turn it on when I want to send a message or check for a message and leave it off the rest of the time.  Battery will go for days or even a few weeks that way.  My older version is clunky to type but vastly better than the SPOT I used to use because I can compose messages at the time rather than use canned messages written and stored before the trip.  SPOT can send:  I am OK.  InReach can send, I am OK and have decided to stay over another day and hunt tomorrow. 

And of course, it has the locked down emergency button that calls SAR, like the SPOT.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »
Id leave my cellphone at home if I had one.   Sometimes its nice to be disconnected from the world

:tup:
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
DeLorme InReach SE, though there are newer models now.  Direct satellite texting from anywhere on earth and it works way better than satellite phones for a fraction of the cost.  Send text or e-mail to any smart phone or computer or other InReach.  I have used it in deep forest loaded with wet snow in deep canyons of the North Cascades, under heavy old growth trees in rain on the Olympic Peninsula, plus Canadian Rockies, Northern Saskatchewan, Yukon, Cape Hatteras, etc.  Best wilderness communication device in my lifetime thus far.  Mine was about $400 at REI I think, plus a monthly subscription of $15 (?). 

I don't bother with phone in iffy country, just take the InReach.  It sends a lat/long location and mark on Google earth with each message, showing the spot from which the message was sent.  Compose message at the time, such as:  Two flat tires, bring a spare here; I am camped two miles from where we planned; my sleeping bag is lonely...

I have my cell phone along in my vehicle and will check to see if it works but don't count on it.

$49/mo unlimited txting, turn on for just months you need it.   Waiting for new Rhino to incorporate this feature.... be surprised if its not added within a year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]