collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trump's Proposed Budget for Federal Land Management Agencies  (Read 11357 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
The White House released it's proposed 2018 federal budget. Here are things of note for outdoorsmen:

US Fish and Wildlife Service
-Eliminates the US Fish & Wildlife Service Sportsmen and Recreational Access program. This program purchases land which then opens federal National Wildlife Refuges to new or expanded fishing/hunting activities. Essentially, the land is purchased solely for these new opportunities. This is elimination saves about $2.5 million dollars
-Eliminates purchasing lands for National Wildlife Refuges. Saves about $36 million dollars
-Reduce a little over half a million dollars from USFWS Federal Wildlife Officers (uniformed game wardens) but no reduction in staffing
-Reduce $1.5 million from the USFWS Office of Law Enforcement (Detectives) which includes 5 Special Agent positions
-9.5% cut total to the US Fish & Wildlife Service

National Park Service
-10% cut to the National Park Service

Forest Service
-Technically the National Forest System would see an increase in funding of $240 million, BUT this is because Trump proposes moving wildland fire from it's own program under the US Forest Service to a program under the National Forest System. Realistically, the National Forest System would see a 7.5% cut from current funding.
-89% decrease in the funding for purchasing new lands for National Forests

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Re: Trump's Proposed Budget for Federal Land Management Agencies
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
That's a lot of chopping

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »
I'm a little sorry to say this, but with the debt as high as it is deep cuts have to be made. There also can be no sacred cows, so as much as I dislike cuts to "things I like" I recognize we need to take drastic measures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
Congress members from both parties have already said Trump's budget is dead on arrival. President's budgets never pass anyways. But it's a good way to look into what the President wants/views for that agency.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
I'm a little sorry to say this, but with the debt as high as it is deep cuts have to be made. There also can be no sacred cows, so as much as I dislike cuts to "things I like" I recognize we need to take drastic measures.

Well said, I agree!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
 :yeah:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »
cutting the forest service doesn't hurt my feelings, fire money is a cash cow that is so mis managed its unreal . I know i have recieved lottsa of it and didn't earn hardly any of it, I was just one of thousands. They have some sort of oligist for everything know to man. Go back to being a revenue generating agency and I will be supportive of them like I used to be.
go ahead on er.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
cutting the forest service doesn't hurt my feelings, fire money is a cash cow that is so mis managed its unreal . I know i have recieved lottsa of it and didn't earn hardly any of it, I was just one of thousands. They have some sort of oligist for everything know to man. Go back to being a revenue generating agency and I will be supportive of them like I used to be.
:yeah:

The amount of waste in wildland firefighting is ridiculous.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 03:45:33 PM »
I don't have any sympathy for the NPS cut.  They go through so much money for things I feel are inflated.  Might be good for them.

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »

But thats not really the case with this budget. there are plenty of sacred cows (homeland security, VA, DOD) that not only didn't get cut in the proposal but instead got increases. As a veteran, I can strongly say that the military does not spend money efficiently. A drastic measure would be holding agencies accountable for every penny they spend, instead of saying "the only way to fix our military is to throw more money at it!" I understand we have issues with our budget and there is waste in the government. I think most people agree with that position. But if we are concerned with balancing our budget and removing wasteful spending, shouldn't we be as critical of 550 billion as we are of 13 billion?? Shouldn't we be more critical because if the margin is the same its still a better return?

My analogy: Its like stealing from your kids' piggy bank to pay the heating bill but never bothering to weatherstrip or seal your windows or put on a sweater. You're just going to keep burning up that small money to pay the bill without attacking the problem at its root.Eventually that little piggy bank goes empty and since you didn't fix the problem to begin with, now you've got 50 other broken things in your house.
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »
Cuts must be made!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »

But thats not really the case with this budget. there are plenty of sacred cows (homeland security, VA, DOD) that not only didn't get cut in the proposal but instead got increases. As a veteran, I can strongly say that the military does not spend money efficiently. A drastic measure would be holding agencies accountable for every penny they spend, instead of saying "the only way to fix our military is to throw more money at it!" I understand we have issues with our budget and there is waste in the government. I think most people agree with that position. But if we are concerned with balancing our budget and removing wasteful spending, shouldn't we be as critical of 550 billion as we are of 13 billion?? Shouldn't we be more critical because if the margin is the same its still a better return?

My analogy: Its like stealing from your kids' piggy bank to pay the heating bill but never bothering to weatherstrip or seal your windows or put on a sweater. You're just going to keep burning up that small money to pay the bill without attacking the problem at its root.Eventually that little piggy bank goes empty and since you didn't fix the problem to begin with, now you've got 50 other broken things in your house.
I have delt with military contracts and can agree with you that they piss away lots of cash also.

I had a similar discussion with a military buddy of mine about the waste of funds in BS process they have to follow that has not reasoning behind it. Lots of wages wasted. 

No sacred cows means EVERYTHING needs to be examined!

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
The White House released it's proposed 2018 federal budget. Here are things of note for outdoorsmen:

-Eliminates the US Fish & Wildlife Service Sportsmen and Recreational Access program. This program purchases land which then opens federal National Wildlife Refuges to new or expanded fishing/hunting activities. Essentially, the land is purchased solely for these new opportunities. This is elimination saves about $2.5 million dollars
-Eliminates purchasing lands for National Wildlife Refuges. Saves about $36 million dollars
-Reduce a little over half a million dollars from USFWS Federal Wildlife Officers (uniformed game wardens) but no reduction in staffing
-Reduce $1.5 million from the USFWS Office of Law Enforcement (Detectives) which includes 5 Special Agent positions

National Park Service

Forest Service
-Technically the National Forest System would see an increase in funding of $240 million, BUT this is because Trump proposes moving wildland fire from it's own program under the US Forest Service to a program under the National Forest System. Realistically, the National Forest System would see a 7.5% cut from current funding.

I've not dove into this too much yet but answer me this if you can, are these cuts in budget increases, as are most of his proposed "budget cuts" the D"s are loosing their collective minds over again, while keeping the uniformed liberal voter base in the dark......or are these actual cuts in existing funding/staffing with no/zero increase in budget?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »

National Park Service

Forest Service
I've not dove into this too much yet but answer me this if you can, are these cuts in increases, as are most of his proposed "budget cuts" the D"s are loosing their collective minds over again, while keeping the uniformed liberal voter base in the dark......or are these actual cuts in existing funding/staffing with no/zero increase in budget?
The federal and State of WA budget operate the same. You either increase, decrease, or keep budget levels the same as the previous approved budget. So as an example the Natl Park Service would see a 10% decrease in the funding they have right now.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
There also can be no sacred cows

Hear. Hear.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]