collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trump's Proposed Budget for Federal Land Management Agencies  (Read 11358 times)

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Trump's Proposed Budget for Federal Land Management Agencies
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
 For 9 agencies the average sum of the cuts works out to 16.74%, if we took that critical of a look at our military budget it would result in approximately $92 billion put back on the table. That's a much better return than that same margin across all those rinky dinky other departments and yet its one of the only departments that isn't having to defend its current funding and is getting even more funding in the budget proposal. zero accountability, limited oversight, massive internal bureaucracy and a blank check for additional spending is how we got into this mess to begin with and yet we continue to allow it to happen with our largest expenditure.

Why not a flat percentage cut across all departments? 
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
For 9 agencies the average sum of the cuts works out to 16.74%, if we took that critical of a look at our military budget it would result in approximately $92 billion put back on the table. That's a much better return than that same margin across all those rinky dinky other departments and yet its one of the only departments that isn't having to defend its current funding and is getting even more funding in the budget proposal. zero accountability, limited oversight, massive internal bureaucracy and a blank check for additional spending is how we got into this mess to begin with and yet we continue to allow it to happen with our largest expenditure.

Because many need to go to near zero.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »

Agency missions and consequence of failure are not equal.  I prefer targeted cuts vs across the board.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »

Agency missions and consequence of failure are not equal.  I prefer targeted cuts vs across the board.

that sounds like a sacred cow argument :chuckle:
I'm mostly joking, but that is an argument that is used to why we can never cut the military (too much risk/consequence of failure) and thats the argument that breeds waste, ineffeciencies and bureaucracy.
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »
Cuts must be made!
:yeah:

we gotta save money for the wall mexico is gona pay for

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 05:03:40 PM »
Cuts must be made!

It has been noted in other topics you are opposed to Trump. So like most anti-trumpers, I'm sure no matter what Trump does you would be opposed.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
Across the board cuts are always seen as drastic and evil. It's typically done when Congress/State Legislatures can't agree on a budget and as a result everyone is impacted at the same level.

A 10% cut to a large agency doesn't have the same impact as a 10% cut at a small agency.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 05:20:53 PM »
Cuts must be made!

It has been noted in other topics you are opposed to Trump. So like most anti-trumpers, I'm sure no matter what Trump does you would be opposed.  :twocents:

I'm not just anti Trump tho...i criticize both sides

I know if it were my budget and I had to make cuts I wouldn't also be making stupid expenses that's only purpose is a political tool....you can't cry for cuts in one hand and grab for more money with the other

With that said I'm not against cuts and proper money allocation....things can always get better

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »
Cuts must be made!

I know if it were my budget and I had to make cuts I wouldn't also be making stupid expenses that's on.ly purpose is a political tool...you can't cry for cuts in one hand and grab for more money with the other

With that said I'm not against cuts and proper money allocation....things can always get better

It depends on one's views. I would agree with even larger cuts at some of those agencies and I still agree with spending the same or more on our military, but we also need to eliminate wasteful spending by the military so that we get the security we are paying for.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »
Cuts must be made!

I know if it were my budget and I had to make cuts I wouldn't also be making stupid expenses that's on.ly purpose is a political tool...you can't cry for cuts in one hand and grab for more money with the other

It depends on one's views. I would agree with even larger cuts at some of those agencies and I still agree with spending the same or more on our military, but we also need to eliminate wasteful spending by the military so that we get the security we are paying for.  :twocents:
More funding = more to spend and waste
Less funding = less to spend and waste

Why is wildland fire a wasteful division? Because it's essentially a blank check. The military is essentially the same thing. I like a strong military but you don't reduce waste by throwing more money at the same entity.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:05 PM »
Cuts must be made!

Why is wildland fire a wasteful division? Because it's essentially a blank check. The military is essentially the same thing. I like a strong military but you don't reduce waste by throwing more money at the same entity.

I would like to see wasteful spending cut from all parts of government!  :twocents:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »

FYI, military spending has been on a downward trajectory since 2010, and it is expected to reach pre-9/11 levels shortly.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/defense_spending

Meanwhile, entitlement spending has about doubled during that same time.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/entitlement_spending

While there are no sacred cows, one is a constitutional function of the federal government.

Offline robescc

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
Everyone needs to remember that a "cut" is not really a cut. If they were issued $1 last year, and the same $1 this year, that is considered a "cut". If it is not more than a 5 or 6 percent increase, it is still considered a "cut".

With the debt this country is accruing, actual "cuts" are needed in all corners of government. Sorry bigtex but I'm not buying what you are selling. Deal with what you already have just like 90% of households in America.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »
Cuts must be made!

I would like to see wasteful spending cut from all parts of government!  :twocents:

Absolutely....one of the biggest things I wana see hammered on is welfare programs....

If tax payers are buying your food then nothing but the basics, no alcohol or sugar in your house.....no tv....no luxury items

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
Everyone needs to remember that a "cut" is not really a cut. If they were issued $1 last year, and the same $1 this year, that is considered a "cut". If it is not more than a 5 or 6 percent increase, it is still considered a "cut".

That is not correct.  Cuts (or increases) are discussed relative to the prior years appropriation.  What Trump has proposed for many agencies are cuts from the previous years appropriations...as in the EPA received $100 in 2017 and Trump requests they get $69 in 2018...a cut of $31...or 31%.

Also, as previously noted - President's always present a budget...Congress is who writes the appropriations bills and they never match what the President asks for.  I think Trump is smart in that by staking out an extreme position on some of the cuts he is giving Republicans a leg up in negotiating with Democrats on these appropriations bills.  "My boss wants me to cut EPA by 31%...I think we can get him to agree to only 15% cuts if you take our offer right now...deal?"  :chuckle:

Agency missions and consequence of failure are not equal.  I prefer targeted cuts vs across the board

that sounds like a sacred cow argument :chuckle:
I'm mostly joking, but that is an argument that is used to why we can never cut the military (too much risk/consequence of failure) and thats the argument that breeds waste, ineffeciencies and bureaucracy.

While I still prefer targeted v. across the board cuts I agree with your point...and that's exactly how we end up with county, state, federal budgets all going to police/fire/safety while everything else gets cut.  On the federal side, simply cutting budgets will not reduce inefficiencies, waste and bureaucracy that gobbles up money...Congress needs to severely cut the regulations federal agencies are required to adhere to in purchasing goods, services, and conducting business...that will cut huge amounts of waste.  :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]