collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trump's Proposed Budget for Federal Land Management Agencies  (Read 11362 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Trump's Proposed Budget for Federal Land Management Agencies
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
Agency missions and consequence of failure are not equal.  I prefer targeted cuts vs across the board
that sounds like a sacred cow argument :chuckle:
I'm mostly joking, but that is an argument that is used to why we can never cut the military (too much risk/consequence of failure) and thats the argument that breeds waste, ineffeciencies and bureaucracy.

While I still prefer targeted v. across the board cuts I agree with your point...and that's exactly how we end up with county, state, federal budgets all going to police/fire/safety while everything else gets cut.  On the federal side, simply cutting budgets will not reduce inefficiencies, waste and bureaucracy that gobbles up money...Congress needs to severely cut the regulations federal agencies are required to adhere to in purchasing goods, services, and conducting business...that will cut huge amounts of waste.  :twocents:
:yeah:

The fact that federal agencies are typically required to purchase refundable airline tickets for travel (typically 2-3 times the price of nonrefundable) is one example.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:41 PM »

Agency missions and consequence of failure are not equal.  I prefer targeted cuts vs across the board.

that sounds like a sacred cow argument :chuckle:
I'm mostly joking, but that is an argument that is used to why we can never cut the military (too much risk/consequence of failure) and thats the argument that breeds waste, ineffeciencies and bureaucracy.

We just went through 8 years of military downsizing, budget cutting and pussifying, which has put us in the position we are in now and forcing PT to deal with a emboldened Kim Jung Phat and Iran.

I prefer my tax dollars go to rebuilding what Obama destroyed while trimming the fat in non essential areas. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 09:54:44 PM »
The White House released it's proposed 2018 federal budget. Here are things of note for outdoorsmen:

US Fish and Wildlife Service
-Eliminates the US Fish & Wildlife Service Sportsmen and Recreational Access program. This program purchases land which then opens federal National Wildlife Refuges to new or expanded fishing/hunting activities. Essentially, the land is purchased solely for these new opportunities. This is elimination saves about $2.5 million dollars
-Eliminates purchasing lands for National Wildlife Refuges. Saves about $36 million dollars
-Reduce a little over half a million dollars from USFWS Federal Wildlife Officers (uniformed game wardens) but no reduction in staffing
-Reduce $1.5 million from the USFWS Office of Law Enforcement (Detectives) which includes 5 Special Agent positions
-9.5% cut total to the US Fish & Wildlife Service

National Park Service
-10% cut to the National Park Service

Forest Service
-Technically the National Forest System would see an increase in funding of $240 million, BUT this is because Trump proposes moving wildland fire from it's own program under the US Forest Service to a program under the National Forest System. Realistically, the National Forest System would see a 7.5% cut from current funding.
-89% decrease in the funding for purchasing new lands for National Forests
I've not dove into this too much yet but answer me this if you can, are these cuts in increases, as are most of his proposed "budget cuts" the D"s are loosing their collective minds over again, while keeping the uniformed liberal voter base in the dark......or are these actual cuts in existing funding/staffing with no/zero increase in budget?
The federal and State of WA budget operate the same. You either increase, decrease, or keep budget levels the same as the previous approved budget. So as an example the Natl Park Service would see a 10% decrease in the funding they have right now.

So you are saying those areas are receiving cuts from last years budget and will have zero increase in their budget under this plan?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:39 AM »
The White House released it's proposed 2018 federal budget. Here are things of note for outdoorsmen:

-Eliminates the US Fish & Wildlife Service Sportsmen and Recreational Access program. This program purchases land which then opens federal National Wildlife Refuges to new or expanded fishing/hunting activities. Essentially, the land is purchased solely for these new opportunities. This is elimination saves about $2.5 million dollars
-Eliminates purchasing lands for National Wildlife Refuges. Saves about $36 million dollars
-Reduce a little over half a million dollars from USFWS Federal Wildlife Officers (uniformed game wardens) but no reduction in staffing
-Reduce $1.5 million from the USFWS Office of Law Enforcement (Detectives) which includes 5 Special Agent positions

National Park Service

Forest Service
-Technically the National Forest System would see an increase in funding of $240 million, BUT this is because Trump proposes moving wildland fire from it's own program under the US Forest Service to a program under the National Forest System. Realistically, the National Forest System would see a 7.5% cut from current funding.
I've not dove into this too much yet but answer me this if you can, are these cuts in increases, as are most of his proposed "budget cuts" the D"s are loosing their collective minds over again, while keeping the uniformed liberal voter base in the dark......or are these actual cuts in existing funding/staffing with no/zero increase in budget?
The federal and State of WA budget operate the same. You either increase, decrease, or keep budget levels the same as the previous approved budget. So as an example the Natl Park Service would see a 10% decrease in the funding they have right now.

So you are saying those areas are receiving cuts from last years budget and will have zero increase in their budget under this plan?
Correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 04:54:45 AM »
Unless this country balances it's budget and quits spending more than it takes in an eventual crash is imminent, the farther in debt we go, the more we owe on interest, the bigger the eventual crash will be. Liberal spenders do not seem to understand basic bookkeeping principals, all they understand is giving handouts to the voters to get re-elected while feathering their own bed.

USFS is a perfect example of failure on a grand scale. USFS is the largest single forest manager in the US, other forest managers with much smaller holdings make billions such as state land management agencies, Weyco, Simpson, Boise Cascade, Georgia Pacific, Potlatch, and many others. There are many small landowners who are very wealthy from forest management practices. The USFS, the largest forest manager in the country allows our forests to over mature, to be eaten by bugs, and to burn up in fires that they in turn spend millions of taxpayer money trying to control in a wasteful manner. Rather than reducing the tax burden the USFS increases the tax burden. It's time to clean house in these agencies!

The reality is that every citizen has no right to basic living necessities, that is an illusion politicians have created in order to get elected. Everyone should have the right to work as hard as they choose and benefit from their labor, unfortunately when the current ponzi scheme crashes, Americans will realize they have squandered the opportunities of the greatest society ever seen on earth. :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »
Well said, Dale.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 05:54:16 AM »
Wow Bearpaw sounds like you are wanting to run for office!! :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »

National Park Service

Forest Service

Correct.

Thanks, that will save some reading. :chuckle: :tup:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
Unless this country balances it's budget and quits spending more than it takes in an eventual crash is imminent, the farther in debt we go, the more we owe on interest, the bigger the eventual crash will be. Liberal spenders do not seem to understand basic bookkeeping principals, all they understand is giving handouts to the voters to get re-elected while feathering their own bed.

But....but.....B.Hussein said the solution was to simply print more. :dunno:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
If this discussion doesn't encourage you to have a full pantry, take drastic measures to pay off debt then you arnt really paying attention to what is going on around you.

My brother is in the middle of selling his place right now, and doesn't plan on replacing it. He is cashing out while prices are high so he can eliminate all his debt and put a decent chunk of change in his pocket. I'm quite envious.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
My brother is in the middle of selling his place right now, and doesn't plan on replacing it.

Is he going to live in an RV? Tent?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
My brother is in the middle of selling his place right now, and doesn't plan on replacing it.

Is he going to live in an RV? Tent?
My folks have a small studio above their garage that he will spend weekends and some week nights, but yes a camper trailer is in his near future.

I have several customers who's kids are raised who have done the same thing. It's not something everyone can do but it shows that some see what's coming.

In my area higher end homes arnt selling, and lots of people are willing to take a price hit because they realize that even in downturns property taxes don't really go down, just up.  Everyone needs a place to live, and if you can make a good buy a modest home makes financial sense. A family of 4's need caps out about 1500 square feet, everything larger is more of a want. As budgets get stretched the the difference between want and need becomes much greater.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:52 PM »
I'm a little sorry to say this, but with the debt as high as it is deep cuts have to be made. There also can be no sacred cows, so as much as I dislike cuts to "things I like" I recognize we need to take drastic measures.

Well said, I agree!
Same.  The federal debt is shameful.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal