collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mechanical to Fixed blade questions  (Read 5263 times)

Offline bigmike86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Mechanical to Fixed blade questions
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »
Greetings, I am planning a hunt in Eagle Cap wilderness in Oregon this year and happened to catch in the regs mechanical broad heads in OR.  I have been bow hunting for about 6 years and have only used mechanicals. Is there anything I need to know when making the switch? Do you practice with the actual broadheads instead of a practice blade? Do they fly differently? Any tuning considerations or do you just slap it on and roll out?

Thanks guys, would hate to get on a nice animal and not have confidence in any part of my gear. Want to make sure I do it right.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:24:52 AM by Russ McDonald »
"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs. They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys. They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities. And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without." -Ernie Pyle

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
Re: Mechanical to Fixed blade questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
practice with the broadheads then replace blades before your hunt. Getting your bow tuned correctly is a lot more critical with fixed blades.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
If your bow is tuned well you'll never know you are shooting a good fix blade. I've shot my RAD madman heads out to 80 yards to test them and they where flying true.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
If you don't have an arrow spinner already, get one! 

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »
I tune my bow before putting my broadheads on every year. Mine shoot just slightly high and to the right for whatever reason. I marked my sight so I have good starting points when I switch back and fourth. I spin every broadheads arrow and I don't don't switch heads on arrows. By switching to broadheads I really meant I have whole separate arrows set up. I shoot each broadhead arrow once to make sure they are good, and have 2 extras I use as warm ups during season that I don't re-sharpen. I had a bad experience with mechanicals the first year they were legal and will never use them again.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
That's crazy that your broad heads won't fly same poi. I switch heads on my arrows all the time and never had a problem with poi. :dunno:

Offline bigmike86

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
Good tips guys! Thanks!

I am new to the west coast and see the value of fixed vs mechanical blade. Hunting whitetail from a treestand on the east coast is perfect for mechanicals as youre not really moving much once in your stand and dont have to worry about blades opening in quiver or rest while cutting brush.

Interesting about the arrow spinner, I'll have to get one. Probably should have been doing that anyway regardless of broadhead.

Do you only need to sharpen if you reuse them? Or is it common practice to sharpen them out of the box?
"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs. They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys. They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities. And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without." -Ernie Pyle

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
Good tips guys! Thanks!

I am new to the west coast and see the value of fixed vs mechanical blade. Hunting whitetail from a treestand on the east coast is perfect for mechanicals as youre not really moving much once in your stand and dont have to worry about blades opening in quiver or rest while cutting brush.

Interesting about the arrow spinner, I'll have to get one. Probably should have been doing that anyway regardless of broadhead.

Do you only need to sharpen if you reuse them? Or is it common practice to sharpen them out of the box?

I shot one brand of broadhead and was getting unexplained flyers.  The guy at the shop suggested another brand of broadhead after spinning my arrows (I am not going to name them because a different broadhead advertises here) instead of the one I was using in which he really had to work to get more than 30% to spin true out of the box, and I switched and now rarely have arrow assys that don't spin true.   

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
I hope you aren't going into that country blind.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 05:52:55 PM »
Heads should be sharp out of the pack is not that's not a good thing. I shot a impala with the RAD and next day used it on a blesbok with be blades on it.

Offline bigmike86

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
I hope you aren't going into that country blind.

Of course I am! I wish I had time to scout but I don't think I can swing it this year. I went into the pasayten blind last year and had a great time (didn't kill anything but bumped up some really nice bucks).

I'm not the best western hunter, but thanks to many years of army training my field craft is strong. I at least shouldn't die, and if I do I have pretty good life insurance for the wife any baby!

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
You will have a great time in the caps!! I started out hunting it blind 10 years ago and took decent bucks consistently. Never spent alot of time hunting elk in it, but always found a few. It gorgeous country and rugged.

As far as fixed heads, imo your setup will determine alot of how "forgiving" a specific head is. I have shot alot of heads over the years. One thing that has remained true for me I prefer arrows to be flying around 280ish fps vs over 300, and I shoot for bare minimum of 11 percent FOC. With 15ish really seeming to be smooth. This has made the process much easier for me. I still spin arrows etc.... but its really semantics and seems to be pretty plug and play with whatever head I want. Cheaper heads may get a bit more finicky but not anything a little homework wont cure. If your shooting a fast, or lighter setup then thing definitely become much more critical with fixed heads. Good luck this season!

Offline bigmike86

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »
Blackvelt,

Im a big dude and pull a 32.5 inch draw, so my arrows are uncut out of the box and about 550 grains with the broadhead. Ive never chrono'd them but the calculators say they are flying around 250-260. Hopefully they will be more resilient like you said.

Im going up there with an elk tag and deer tag, not expecting to tag either one. Main focus this year is elk in washington, but I looked at pictures of eagle cap and figured I had to get out there while I could, man does it look amazing! Thanks for the tips! Im super pumped

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »
Like others said they should be sharp out of the box. Do I put an even better edge on them though..... maybe..... but not necessary.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
Blackvelt,

Im a big dude and pull a 32.5 inch draw, so my arrows are uncut out of the box and about 550 grains with the broadhead. Ive never chrono'd them but the calculators say they are flying around 250-260. Hopefully they will be more resilient like you said.

Im going up there with an elk tag and deer tag, not expecting to tag either one. Main focus this year is elk in washington, but I looked at pictures of eagle cap and figured I had to get out there while I could, man does it look amazing! Thanks for the tips! Im super pumped

Im curious what bow your shooting? And poundage? At that draw length and arrow weight I would think you could be well over 260 easily. Not that you need to be, but it could prove useful information.

What time of season are you planning to get in there?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal