collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bino harness  (Read 13788 times)

Offline Hunter mike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Bino harness
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
What does everyone run for a bino harness.  I've always used just the basic style with no protection for the optics.  I really don't have any complaints with what I'm using other than maybe some more dirt and grunge on my binos.  The reason I'm looking at a change is to maybe find a harness that can hold a rangefinder too and maybe a couple of elk diaphragm calls. 

I primarily backcountry hunt on the coast, so rain protection is great, but I'm not sure how it will go with the binos in and out of the pouch 100 times a day while still hunting in the rain. 

I'm mostly changing setup so I can drop my pack for a stalk and still have everything I need attached to my chest.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Bino harness
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »
I love my Kuiu bino harness. I attached an FHF rangefinder pouch to it. Kuiu just came out with a rangefinder pouch of their own. FHF makes a similar Biko harness to the kuiu.

Solo Hunter has a really cool looking Nino harness id love to get my hands on and check out.

Badlands makes a nice one with a magnetic closure.

Alaska guide creations makes a nice one I hear a lot of good things about.

Do a little search on here. There's a few threads talking about all the different ones.

Good luck!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »
Have only used kuiu.  Not a problem to go in and out of harness 100 times a day, thats typical.  Others may be better but kuiu works fine.  You adjust tension of cover so tighter if nasty conditions to open for dry.   

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
AGC Cub. Couldn't be happier with it. Rangefinder and 10x42 binos fit perfect super comfy and durable

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
AGC here too. It's everything I need and nothing I dont.

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
Looked at the AGC pics it looks like a chest pack not a bino harness ??? Maybe its smaller than it looks?
Just depends on if you get the extra front pocket. To the op after trying most of them, my favorite is the AGC for protection, and the FHF for compact comfort.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
I hunt the wet side and have tried a half dozen brands and styles of bino harness, Crooked Horn et al.  I have gone to the minimalist Rick Young spaghetti strap style and added my own rain cover.  http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/basic-ultra-light-bino-harness/

The binos stay close to my chest and can instantly be snugged tighter against my chest by merely changing the lay of the bungee cord:  no buckles, sliding cinches nor any kind of adjusting fittings.  All of the other brands I've tried flopped out at the top no matter how I rigged them, and banged against my chest when I run a few steps.

FWIW a technique for using binos in the rain:  I wear a large brimmed Florida fishing cap when hunting in heavy rain, with a bill that is much wider than a baseball cap and extends out farther.  When I want to look through binos, I lean forward enough to keep the rain off of the lenses, bring them almost to my eyes and then slip off the rain cover under the brim of my cap.  So far, this is the only system I've used in 50 years of such doings that allow me to use binos when still hunting rainy forest and keep the lenses dry.  Amazing. 

In heavy rain my grandson carries his binos in a protected cover case and only takes them out when glassing from a ridge.  He uses them more in dry weather.  If you don't use binos frequently when hunting, a covered case cinched tight is good. Still hunting timber in rain and using binos frequently to check close range stuff in wet brush creates the hardest condition for me to keep binocular lenses dry.

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »
Oregon Pack Works makes a nice bino rig

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
I have the FHF Gear bino harnass http://fhfgear.com/hunting/bino-harness/

So far, so good.  It is spendy but the build quality is worth it.  It holds snug to my chest and distributes the weight nicely and I don't have any issues crashing brush with it.  The binos slip out of the harnass quickly.  I wish the side pocket was a little bigger, I store my wind checker in there and it is a little tight. 

Before the FHF harness I used the Vortex elastic strap type harness that remains connected as you use the binos.  I don't like that system of always pulling against an elastic strap, I like having the binos completely free when I use them and quickly packed away when I'm not.  When they are on a strap it is harder to use a tripod when glassing bigger areas (if you aren't using your binos on a tripod, do it, you'll thank me later, you'll see more animals, promise)
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
Bino harness
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
I bought the vortex guide binopack. Decided to give it a shot. Wind detector fits in the top elastic band. Range finder fits in the front pouch which also has some sewn in elastic for extra rounds. Side pouches on both sides for calls etc. Bino's attach using buckles so they can be detached very easily to run on a tripod as well. I've had it out a couple times so far and I have absolutely no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:49:34 PM by Stalkin Prey »

Offline Hunter mike

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
Decisions decisions...  :chuckle: :bash:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
The vortex pack is an AGC pack with a Vortex patch stuck to it.
Took me some convincing but I picked up the AGC Cub pack and love it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 08:23:46 PM »
I'm a AGC guy now too. Tried kuiu but didn't like it. Tried the minimal ones as well and didn't like those either. The AGC has held up well these first few trips of the year, lightweight to me and are comfortable.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
has anyone every tried keeping an activated hand warmer (or two) in with the binos during late season to keep them from fogging when you look through them? 
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline romaknows

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »
Please check out marsupial , it is simple and opens to the front, great customer service too!!.
high country rules!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal