collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wet side archery elk  (Read 10447 times)

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Wet side archery elk
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »
I get that. Guess everyone wants to hunt near home.

Looks like I'll have to find a place that most don't want to go to.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
I've had plenty of people point me to island county for elk....

So your saying Camano & Whidbey Islands?

I'm pretty sure you got there but just in case some one who doesn't know reads this island county is elkless. It was something I've been told in jest several times and repeated here in jest.

I would feel like a real jerk if someone took that seriously and tried to scout elk there.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »

So your saying Camano & Whidbey Islands?

I'm pretty sure you got there but just in case some one who doesn't know reads this island county is elkless. It was something I've been told in jest several times and repeated here in jest.

I would feel like a real jerk if someone took that seriously and tried to scout elk there.

Made me pause a second. One look at the regs and harvest reports and came to the same conclusion.

I'm as greenhorn as someone can get, hunting. No one in my family hunted before. Now I have 2 brothers who followed my lead. Learned everything I know from this forum and YouTube. So yes, I've learned to take everything with a grain of salt 😁

Thanks to everyone who wrote and gave info. I really do appreciate it!

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »

hahaha  theres is only 1 elk.   LOL

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 03:33:29 AM »
i suggest stick to Gifford Pinquot Nat'l forest.  Its huge

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 06:41:59 AM »
I can't speak for everywhere but I wouldn't let "huge crowds" scare you off. I hunt 336 and have seen several times on here how crowded it is there. Last season I saw zero people (be it hunters or otherwise) who were not in my camp. Seems getting off a road cuts down on the crowds and seems to congregate the elk in those areas as well. I was never more than two miles from a road so it doesn't take much.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
He was asking about westside units. I'm sure there's not too many guys chasing spikes or cows only in the 336.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »
He was asking about westside units. I'm sure there's not too many guys chasing spikes or cows only in the 336.

That's been my experience as well but I've been told many times that it turns into a pumpkin patch or that there's a bow in every drainage and have yet to experience it. Just passing it along, maybe it's true other places as well.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
To the OP, I can't help much in terms of locations but I will say this and I hope it helps, have an idea where you think the elk are but KNOW where the hunters are. This will be my first year as well and I come from a state out east that has very little public land and very few deer(and a bunch of hunters). If you figure out where and when other hunters are and move it will really help you figure out where the elk are not located. Last year I helped my brother get his first deer in a chunk of 50 acre land that had about 6-7 other hunters wondering around but I knew EXACTLY where they were and where they go. They had no idea that the deer were using this small area that you could only get to by following a river and looping back.

I look for nasty brush areas that then have openings, areas that require small slow stream crossings(waders can open up a new area), areas that are hard to get to and that require more effort. Remember what you lack in experience you need to make up for in perseverance best of luck to ya and hope this helped a little.

Offline Nice Racks

• Sourdough
  • Groups: McChord AFB Archery Club
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
I usually don't see many hunters in the woods, but a lot of road hunters in 505.  Last year on opening day I called in a father and Son team whom I didn't know was in the area.  We laughed about for awhile, told each other what direction we were heading, and wouldn't you know; 90 minutes later I called them in again. All they did was basically follow us.  It was pretty funny though watching them sneak through the woods and squeezing off their hoochy mommas.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
I usually don't see many hunters in the woods, but a lot of road hunters in 505.  Last year on opening day I called in a father and Son team whom I didn't know was in the area.  We laughed about for awhile, told each other what direction we were heading, and wouldn't you know; 90 minutes later I called them in again. All they did was basically follow us.  It was pretty funny though watching them sneak through the woods and squeezing off their hoochy mommas.

I've driven thru 505, it was august 2015, that was my first year (first attempt) at scouting. Every road I went down had trucks crawling around. Decided to move on. Didn't know there were road hunters. I've learned since.

I've hunted east side and I've run across the same hunters on multiple occasions. I have salt licks setup where my cameras are and I've had people come in and sit my salt licks. They forget to look around, cause I have them on camera  :hello:

I've taken a few road trips this year already, and have to say I like the area around Morton/Packwood. Thick and steep enough that hopefully it'll keep the road hunters in their trucks.

Online 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
Everywhere keeps the road hunters in their trucks.

Find elk and hike in a few miles, get off the trail, and poof....................No more hunters.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
To the OP, I can't help much in terms of locations but I will say this and I hope it helps, have an idea where you think the elk are but KNOW where the hunters are. This will be my first year as well and I come from a state out east that has very little public land and very few deer(and a bunch of hunters). If you figure out where and when other hunters are and move it will really help you figure out where the elk are not located. Last year I helped my brother get his first deer in a chunk of 50 acre land that had about 6-7 other hunters wondering around but I knew EXACTLY where they were and where they go. They had no idea that the deer were using this small area that you could only get to by following a river and looping back.

I look for nasty brush areas that then have openings, areas that require small slow stream crossings(waders can open up a new area), areas that are hard to get to and that require more effort. Remember what you lack in experience you need to make up for in perseverance best of luck to ya and hope this helped a little.

I would love to know exactly where all the other hunters are. Unfortunately thats kinda impossible. WDFW land is restricted to no motorized vehicles. I've hiked in and thought that no one will hike in this far, or go into this valley, only to hear an engine from a quad or dirt bike. And I've had both. I've had a Toyota Tacoma come over a ridge where there wasn't even a road. Have to say, had the urge to shoot his tires out.  :chuckle:

Sorry for the rant. Just looking for a peaceful hunt.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »

Other hunters are easy to find even in the way back.  There are a good number of animals out there it's just find and area an commit to learning it.  Hunter reports are BS'd and I have talked to guys, who report incorrectly.  One guy even bragged that his "whole family" lied about hunting Hr's and GMU hunted to send other hunters to other GMU's.

Best of luck

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
From your description as a hunter and what you are after I think you belong in Adams/Lewis river area? 
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101