collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New spring bear guidelines in 2018?  (Read 13016 times)

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: New spring bear guidelines in 2018?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »
I definetly agree there are too many bears on the wet side, I just wouldn't want my blues to get over hunted.  It's a special time spring bear hunting over there, I'd like to see it left the way it is.  Just my 2 cents

Those bears eat way too many elk calves. I lived in Waitsburg and I have seen the damage that those bears do to the elk over there in the Blue's. I'm sorry but when there's 18 bears working one draw where cow elk are calving it's no good for the elk.  Choot em Elizabeth Choot em!
I suspect (purely my own speculation) that you have hit the nail on the head.  Washington has one of the largest bear populations in the lower 48, and they take a LOT of newborn fawns and calves that could grow up to be wolf food.  Increasing the deer and elk newborn survival will provide more forage for wolves, reducing wolf-livestock conflict and allowing the numbers to increase faster toward recovery criteria.  There might even be enough deer and elk leftover for hunters to take a few more, especially if the wolves nuke the coyotes in their pack territories.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
I would like to see more permits for areas already being hunted and more areas opened up to spring  permit seasons, but I feel a general spring season will ruin the quality of the bear hunting experience.  My question is "why are deer and elk so much more important to have good hunting for than bears or say cougars?  It's all hunting and you can eat them all so what's the big deal?
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
A lot of suburban bear stories this year in the news.  OTC spring bear would be great. 

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
I definetly agree there are too many bears on the wet side, I just wouldn't want my blues to get over hunted.  It's a special time spring bear hunting over there, I'd like to see it left the way it is.  Just my 2 cents

LOL I highly doubt the wenaha will get over hunted.  99.99% of hunters won't make it .25 miles off the road

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
The reason they haven't gone OTC spring had nothing to do with management, and everything to do with money.   :twocents:

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
The entire state is infested with bear.  OTC please. 

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 04:41:07 AM »
The reason they haven't gone OTC spring had nothing to do with management, and everything to do with money.   :twocents:
Agreed. They could skirt this by selling a spring only tag. 6 bucks per drawing or 30 bucks per tag.....the tag would be the winner. If over harvest is a concern,  go to the late season cougar hotline type check in.

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 05:36:12 AM »
We talked about this a couple years ago in a GMAC meeting, the WDFW says it is worried about to much sow harvest in the spring with over the counter tags. without the use of hounds or baiting it is hard to tell sows from boars and there isn't much chance of hound hunting or baiting returning so the odds of spring over the counter bear tags is extremely slim.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
New spring bear guidelines in 2018?
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 06:15:21 AM »
I would be insanely sad if they opened up the Blues to an OTC tag.

Trophy mentioned it above, it's a special place to hunt bears in the spring.

Part of what makes it special is the complete lack of people.

And yes, most of that is because people can't handle the country. But don't mistake that for a general population not being able too...I know lots of guys who can and do handle the Wenaha, and it would be a scenario Im not in favor of.

You think it wouldn't be over hunted, but it would. And it would lose what makes it special.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a few more units to spread some guys out, but don't destroy some of the best bear bear hunting this state offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 06:17:25 AM »

And yes, most of that is because people can't handle the country. But don't mistake that for a general population not being able too...I know lots of guys who can and do handle the Wenaha, and it would be a scenario Im not in favor of.

You think it wouldn't be over hunted, but it would. And it would lose what makes it special.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a few more units to spread some guys out, but don't destroy some of the best bear bear hunting this state offers.

100% agree!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
 :yeah:
Go hawks

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 07:02:14 AM »
I say if they want to make extra cash then give a baiting incentive type permit where you pay a little extra , make it where your bait station has to have a lat and long so it can be inspected (because people are disgusting and like to bait with the wrappers and crud still on it) it's the best way to keep from killing a sow with cubs this targeting just the boars or does without cubs!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:23 AM »
I say if they want to make extra cash then give a baiting incentive type permit where you pay a little extra , make it where your bait station has to have a lat and long so it can be inspected (because people are disgusting and like to bait with the wrappers and crud still on it) it's the best way to keep from killing a sow with cubs this targeting just the boars or does without cubs!!
Baiting permits would sell like hot cakes, but not sure if they want to battle the libs and anti's on this.  We need the conservation vote to pass in this state, where 60% or more is needed to mess with hunting and fishing laws to be passed.  Like the ban on baiting and dogs.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
*sows - but I think that was banned by initiative, so unless you can get enough signatures on to get another one on the ballet, and then get enough people in King County drunk/high enough to vote in your favor on election night, it isn't happening in this state.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »

100% Disagree on it being overhunted.  Isn't it funny how Washington and Idaho share a border, but everyone assumes that what works just across the border would never work here.  Just like the comment about too many sows getting shot.  I guess hunting just across the state line gives you super powers to discern between boars & sows.  Stop believing the lies!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]