collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I love wolves. Seriously.  (Read 52543 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: I love wolves. Seriously.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
I don't get it either.  Everyone I talk to here in Idaho acts like they have ruined hunting.  Id say the hunting has never been better.  Maybe they don't  stand out in the open all day like they used to, but that just means you need to adapt and change your tactics. I haven't had an issue with them being here. They aren't around every corner, and the animals are adapting.  I suppose new things scare people, but if we want to promote the idea that hunters are conservationists and care about all animals, we better change our tune.  Advocating for the extermination of a species is giving hunters a bad image.  We need to promote management of them like any other predator.  Coyotes kill more livestock than wolves, but I don't see people up in arms over that.  We need to keep a calm head, make sure we have a seat at the table, and lose the all r nothing mentality when it comes to wolves.  Go to Alaska, if they ruin hunting, why is Alaska such a prime destination for hunters world wide?  Hunt them, manage them, and learn to live with em.

Idaho is irrelevant to the conditions in WA,  Idaho is extensively managing wolves, WA is not. Idaho has more Elk but require less wolves than WA does.

If you've hunted Idaho for years then tell me how many more Washington license plates you see now than 5 or 10 years ago?

Idaho is what Washington should be emulating.

Comparing WA wolf plan, public perception, and management to ID wolf plan, public perception, and management is tantamount to comparing Arkansas gun attitudes with CA gun attitudes.

First of all, the whole premise of the USFWS plan to reinstate wolves into the GYA was based on lies, misinformation, and ignored or left out facts. They didn't tell Congress the facts about diseases the wolves carry. They didn't give fair assessments as to the financial impact of reintroduction. They downplayed the impact they would eventually have on ungulate populations. They released animals they knew were infected with the zoonosis parasite organism echinococcus granulosus.

In WA specifically, the adopted wolf plan is unbelievably outrageous in its scope compared to the other western states. For example: Washington has 16 times the population density of Montana, half the area, and 8 times the population. Yet, our wolf plan calls for 50% more breeding pairs than MT's plan. Why? Because the wildlife commission has been unduly pressured by the Governor's office and the corrupt USFWS to push it through and did so. In the years since, we've seen the commission increasingly infected by animal rights groups who will ensure that not only will those outrageous goals be met, but that at that time they still won't allow management of these eaters.

In relation to MT, WY, and ID, our wolf plan should've been for 5 breeding pairs, situated in very specific and remote wilderness areas of the state (if at all), and immediate management of breeding pairs/packs which establish outside of those areas. The fact is that the people and ungulate wildlife of the NE corner of the state are bearing 90% of the problems created by those who will never have to suffer from the outrageous wolf plan. Personally, I doubt that wolves will be managed by hunting during my lifetime, or ever. The extremists in WA who designed this plan knew full well that the dreadlock-wearing, tie-died, patchouli oil crowd and the huge animal rights lobbies would lie to our population to support never managing their numbers. As well, I believe that many who support the reintroduction of wolves do so as a tool to eliminate big game hunting altogether. They realize that increasing the numbers of apex predators will decrease the ungulate populations and force the wildlife managers to limit hunting opportunities until they're gone.

I think wolves are cool to look at, hear, pet. I don't have a problem with wolves. I have a huge problems with the illegal nature of their reintroduction and with the actual impetus by the animal rights groups to use them to end our hunting heritage.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
My only issue with wolves is that there is no balance for our ungulate populations. What I mean is there is funding for wolf studies but no real additional funding to bolster ungulate populations to compensate for a newly introduced apex predator and what that means to deer, elk and moose populations. At a time when hunting prospects look bleak due to harsh fire seasons and even harsher winter extremes our herds need a helping hand but instead their mortal enemy is getting the helping hand. If WDFW would put as much effort into protecting or even increasing our herds to compensate for the wolf, I would welcome them. But from an agency that only seems to want to reduce herd numbers and hunter opportunity I just can't be supportive of the wolf at this time. Wolves don't fund WDFW, hunters do!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
I think once you invest a good decade into learning an area and then watch the wolves come in an completely destroy it, then think of how the wolves got there...you might understand

Think of walking up on a dozen elk that were killed for sport and left to rot, then you might understand

Think of having one of your prized hound dogs youv invested years into ripped to shreds and wonder how the wolves got there and then you might start to get the idea

Think of having your income get gobbled up one calf at a time, then you might get the idea

Think of having to sell your family guiding business because the hunting just isn't there any more....

Now imagine if you got to experience all of this...how would you feel about an invasive species???

THIS X 1M

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
I think once you invest a good decade into learning an area and then watch the wolves come in an completely destroy it, then think of how the wolves got there...you might understand

Think of walking up on a dozen elk that were killed for sport and left to rot, then you might understand

Think of having one of your prized hound dogs youv invested years into ripped to shreds and wonder how the wolves got there and then you might start to get the idea

Think of having your income get gobbled up one calf at a time, then you might get the idea

Think of having to sell your family guiding business because the hunting just isn't there any more....

Now imagine if you got to experience all of this...how would you feel about an invasive species???
:yeah:.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 01:41:50 PM »

:yeah:.

:yeah:

Man has replaced wolves as far as I'm concerned.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
I don't get it either.  Everyone I talk to here in Idaho acts like they have ruined hunting.  Id say the hunting has never been better.  Maybe they don't  stand out in the open all day like they used to, but that just means you need to adapt and change your tactics. I haven't had an issue with them being here. They aren't around every corner, and the animals are adapting.  I suppose new things scare people, but if we want to promote the idea that hunters are conservationists and care about all animals, we better change our tune.  Advocating for the extermination of a species is giving hunters a bad image.  We need to promote management of them like any other predator.  Coyotes kill more livestock than wolves, but I don't see people up in arms over that.  We need to keep a calm head, make sure we have a seat at the table, and lose the all r nothing mentality when it comes to wolves.  Go to Alaska, if they ruin hunting, why is Alaska such a prime destination for hunters world wide?  Hunt them, manage them, and learn to live with em.

Idaho is irrelevant to the conditions in WA,  Idaho is extensively managing wolves, WA is not. Idaho has more Elk but require less wolves than WA does.

If you've hunted Idaho for years then tell me how many more Washington license plates you see now than 5 or 10 years ago?

Idaho is what Washington should be emulating.

I was a.washington plate in Idaho for a few years, and this was when wolves had "ruined" the elk hunting here. 
I don't​ think wolves are driving people to.idaho, it is the lack of opportunity in Washington, eastern specifically, to kill elk every year. That's why I left.  More people come here because the cost is manageable and the opportunity is high if you put in the work.

Washington needs to be proactive in wolf management and take a.lesson from Idaho, but they also need to be concerned with growing the population of elk.  There is plenty of prime elk habitat that is void of any elk. 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »

That pretty much says it all, I hate wolves and wish they were not in Idaho , Washington, well, all lower 48 states.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
I hate wolves.  Seriously.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »

I've had bigger problems with coyotes and racoons killing my farm animals than wolves. 

Cougars and bears sometimes attack dogs yet guys keep at it.

Other hunters and poachers ruin more hunting areas than a few dogs.  If the wolves are around, then I know the elk are there.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
What's coyotes and raccoons got to do with wolves? You can shoot trap and shoot coons, you can even trap coyotes and shoot them all year long.
If a Cougar comes in and attacks your dog the WDFW will come in and kill it with little or no fuss at all, or you can shoot it yourself.  Same with bears.

Wolves not so much.

I don't​ think wolves are driving people to.idaho, it is the lack of opportunity in Washington, eastern specifically, to kill elk every year. That's why I left.

Opportunity is being curtailed in WA directly due to wolf activity and that loss of opportunity will only accelerate as the wolves get more populated. 

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
Wolves + 250 million people = chaos

Wolves are fine in BIG wilderness areas.  Not good here.  :twocents:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »
What's coyotes and raccoons got to do with wolves? You can shoot trap and shoot coons, you can even trap coyotes and shoot them all year long.
If a Cougar comes in and attacks your dog the WDFW will come in and kill it with little or no fuss at all, or you can shoot it yourself.  Same with bears.

Wolves not so much.

I don't​ think wolves are driving people to.idaho, it is the lack of opportunity in Washington, eastern specifically, to kill elk every year. That's why I left.

Opportunity is being curtailed in WA directly due to wolf activity and that loss of opportunity will only accelerate as the wolves get more populated.
:yeah:  :bash:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »

I've had bigger problems with coyotes and racoons killing my farm animals than wolves. 

Cougars and bears sometimes attack dogs yet guys keep at it.

Other hunters and poachers ruin more hunting areas than a few dogs.  If the wolves are around, then I know the elk are there.

Soubds like you've had much more experience with wolve than me
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:26:04 PM by kentrek »

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 03:21:46 PM »
The great wolf debate. In my opinion and only my opinion adding an additional apex predator without any type of management plan is foolish. An average adult wolf eats 2.5 lbs of meat a day, when breeding they eat 7 lbs a day according to studies. There meat has to come from somewhere right. Our ungulate populations are already strained due to many factors, coyotes (pretty much open season on them) increase in bear populations without correct management. Hoof rot is spreading amongst the elk populations. This last winter was a cold harsh long season that had a substantial impact (Talked to a biologist that verified so not just my opinion) Not to mention poachers. I think the bigger issue is the fact that our hands are basically tied while they misrepresented the re introduction and never acknowledged the impact that will be in our near future. They're going to continue to eat. They're going to continue to breed and migrate. Without a plan to control this species it will get out of hand and our ungulate populations will definitely suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »
Wolves are symbolic of the polarization or value differences between rural and urban communities in this country - and to a larger extent what control the federal government should/should not have in the West. 

So...all the drama about wolves is part of a much larger debate/disagreement than it is about wolves themselves.

There are extremists on all sides of wolf issues...they all lie, distort the truth, and selectively use information to push their agenda.  As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle...but its not always easy to hear it over the screeching from extremists on both sides of wolf issues.  :twocents:

A voice of reason!  Thanks idahohuntr!  Not enough of this on these emotional issues. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]