collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Black cod !!  (Read 11978 times)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Black cod !!
« on: June 05, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
How many of you guys caught and ate one of these fine fish? I ain't talking, lingcod, or true cod !! I have eaten a lot of fish in my life and always thought that ling, seabass, halibut were the best tasting when it came to salt water fish, then a couple weekends or so ago on that halibut day, I caught a big black cod in 800 ft of water, I lucked into him I guess because I was told that you generally won't catch them until you reach the 1,000ft depth !! Any of you fellas have any knowledge on these fish ? I can tell with absolute certainty that it's the BEST damn fish I have EVER eaten !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Black cod !!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »
Pics please.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »

Online Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
I have caught them at Swiftsure in far less than 800'. It is true that they are a deepwater fish though. It was many years ago and I don't recall them being significantly better than lings or 'buts. They are a oily fish compared to others. They are also known as sablefish. Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
I wish I would have got a few pics , it was a great day for fishing but crap seas out there, rough and windy and a 49 Mile ride out!! Still a great day with a few buddies !!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
My buddy used to bring burlap bags full of black cod down from Alaska.  We smoked it and there is nothing better. 

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
I have caught them at Swiftsure in far less than 800'. It is true that they are a deepwater fish though. It was many years ago and I don't recall them being significantly better than lings or 'buts. They are a oily fish compared to others. They are also known as sablefish. Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it.
you I thought it would be the same thing as halibut and ling and seabass but to me it wasn't and your right about it being oily and I ain't sure but I was thinking it gave it a different taste, I cooked up all the different ones and that black cod sure tasted different to me!! Enough so that I would like to fish for just those.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
i am sure I am wrong here and I ain't saying your mixing them up but are you sure you weren't mistaking true cod for black cod ? Just a question

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:06:35 PM »
Right on, blackcod is also known as sablefish. Its a huge commercial fishery in the US Pacific Ocean. I have had quite a bit of it and get sent every year to cook it at National Oceans Week in WA, DC every year.

If you have any left. Try pre-smoking it with a dry brine of salt and brown sugar for a short duration, then smoke for 45 mins with low heat high smoke. Then cooking it over briquettes with a light sprinkling of pepper and lightly coat the grill with peanut oil so the fish doesn't stick.

Online Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
i am sure I am wrong here and I ain't saying your mixing them up but are you sure you weren't mistaking true cod for black cod ? Just a question

I'm sure, I've caught true cod as well in both Sekiu and Neah Bay. Could be that when I ate it it just wasn't cooked the best way  :dunno:. I just don't specifically remember it being that much better. Again it was many years ago and perhaps if I tried it again I might have a different take?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
He's definitely talking black cod, not true cod-

The 7#+ carcasses are getting more at the dock per # than 20-40 halibut right now, over $7/#.  Got a buddy fishing the Clarence Strait opener as I type.

I've actually run into a few schools of 1-ish #'ers while trolling, have caught them on coho spoons as shallow as 35 fa last summer. 

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
Right on, blackcod is also known as sablefish. Its a huge commercial fishery in the US Pacific Ocean. I have had quite a bit of it and get sent every year to cook it at National Oceans Week in WA, DC every year.

If you have any left. Try pre-smoking it with a dry brine of salt and brown sugar for a short duration, then smoke for 45 mins with low heat high smoke. Then cooking it over briquettes with a light sprinkling of pepper and lightly coat the grill with peanut oil so the fish doesn't stick.
definetly gonna try it this way, thank you

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
Damn skillet those are some fine looking fish there, I also heard that I think it's the humpback whales up in Alaska actually target the long liners that fish for black cod and have got so good at it that they can strip a whole string without touching a hook, I am guessing they are looking for that oily content  :dunno:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
Oh, those aren't mine. I don't have any quota...

It's actually orcas and sperm whales that are hammering the black cod fleet.  Last year there was actually a sperm whale that was stripping the longliners up in lower Chatham Strait. They are trying to encourage a pot fishery for them to minimize predation, but initial findings are that the average size is significantly lower than longlining.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
AKA butterfish, which is what they taste like to me - almost too rich for my liking straight up broiled, baked or grilled - the thought of deep frying it makes me a little queasy.  Best smoked fish I've ever had (from a commercial house in Nanaimo BC), when I cook it again I'll use a savory or spicy sauce to cut some of that buttery richness.  You can sometimes find it reasonably priced at Costco, last time I got it I think it was $7.99/lb for fresh whole gutted, head off.

Phenomenal as nigiri or sashimi too.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]