collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taking a partner with a different tag/weapon  (Read 6832 times)

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Taking a partner with a different tag/weapon
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
You'd hope the WDFW could tell the difference between a gunshot wound and an arrow provided the carcus. I understand dressing the animal could make it more difficult, but take a pic with your phone (with time and gps enabled on the microdata on the photo)....

But as someone else confirmed they have the authority to give a ticket before anything has been killed.

According to the employee I spoke to the officer can issue a ticket over simply having a gun in your truck at camp. The officer can decide you are hunting with a rifle even if you aren't carrying it. So I'm concerned about taking a friend that can legally bring a gun into the same unit.

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
Who is this "Employee" and what is their position?
Unless the information came from a Warden, I would be skeptical.

Also, I think some of this is up to the Wardens' discretion.
If your driving along the logging roads with a shotgun/rifle in the front seat while bow hunting, what do you expect?
If the shotgun/rifleis "secured" in the back out of sight, yet not hidden, you should be fine.
If the shotgun/rifle is in the front seat with a couple of rounds in your coffee holder, you look like you may be "Hunting" with that weapon.
It could be construed as if the bow is a "Prop", it may be on the back seat where it is safe, but the gun is more handy due to it's structure.
This is all assuming you are alone.

If your with a buddy who has a gun, think ahead and act accordingly.

I think that a lot of this comes down to appearance, if your look guilty, you will be perceived as such.
Guys packing heat in the field while bow hunting, I think you'de asking for trouble.
Just cause somethings legal, does not mean that you have to do it.
Put yourself in the officers' shoes, what would you think/do?
Act accordingly and minimize the risks of being perceived as quilty.

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
You'd hope the WDFW could tell the difference between a gunshot wound and an arrow provided the carcus. I understand dressing the animal could make it more difficult, but take a pic with your phone (with time and gps enabled on the microdata on the photo)....

But as someone else confirmed they have the authority to give a ticket before anything has been killed.

According to the employee I spoke to the officer can issue a ticket over simply having a gun in your truck at camp. The officer can decide you are hunting with a rifle even if you aren't carrying it. So I'm concerned about taking a friend that can legally bring a gun into the same unit.

I think this is a silly thing to worry about.  So long as you have the proper tags and you and your buddy don't carry one another's weapons you have nothing to worry about.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »
Packing heat regardless is not against the law.

I have been stopped numerous times by game agents over the years. And not once did any game  agent give a hoot about my in plain view hand gun.

Because they can't do a thing about it. The state constitution allows it. And the game Dept can't make any rule otherwise. As far as possession.

Over the years I have discovered their are a lot of folks who think they know gun law and don't.

I have found State Patrol,game agents,and most rural sheriffs are best educated on state gun laws.

Non law enforcement state and federal employees along with a lot of local cops have no clue.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:41:49 PM by ghosthunter »
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »

You'd have a hard time finding an officer that would make that case. The offense would be a criminal offense and not a ticket, which means a prosecutor would have to file charges on you, not just an officer scratching out a ticket in your name.

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 06:28:55 AM »
Ghost,

I did not mean to imply that Packing Heat is against the law.
The point that I was trying to make is this; appearances are important.
If you look and act like like you're up to no good, that is the direction the conversation will go.
The appearance of impropriety can/will get LO thinking that somethings up.

Discretion and looking at situations from LO's point of view can go a long ways towards avoiding conflict.
I have generally had nothing but good experiences with Wardens.
But things do come up,

Example:
I had a cut occur while hunting deer in 1985ish.
It was from a stick or something, minor scratch.
Later that day I was stopped by a warden while driving out of the woods.
We talked and then he started asking a bunch of questions about the blood on my finger/hand.
I had forgotten about it till he pointed it out.
Well, it took a bit of splaining to convince him that there was no crime, IE, poached deer.
I understood his position, but at the same time the direction of the conversation made me nervous.

Now, the above was an unavoidable situation, but it has taught me to be aware of potential problems.
Just the APPEARANCE of some wrongdoing can get the ball rolling.
Then if a guy gets indignant and starts declaring what his "Rights" are things may get heated.
Next time you see that wardon/LO, he may have you on his radar, irrespective of your innocence.

Empathy and looking at the whole picture can avoid confusion.

Be safe,
Rob.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »

I think this is a silly thing to worry about.  So long as you have the proper tags and you and your buddy don't carry one another's weapons you have nothing to worry about.

And I've been given a ticket over a traffic incident that was silly and should have been nothing to worry about. But the officer was having a bad day and decided to take it out on me by using his authority in an area where it is basically his judgment call.

In theory I shouldn't have to worry if the rifle isn't in my possession. But I don't like how this scenario isn't well defined in the regulations and leaves judgement to the officer.

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Maybe I'm the only one- but during archery I will often have a .22 (grouse) and a CF rifle, usually a .308 (coyotes and bear) in my truck. If I've finished up elk hunting in one area and am headed to another and I see a bear way out yonder from the vehicle, my elk hunt  is already over and now I'm going to start a bear hunt. Simply leave the bow in the vehicle and take the rifle and begin a stalk or get off the road and set up to shoot. Otherwise leave the rifles and grab the bow and head in for another hike.
 I've chatted with a couple F&G guys while out and about with 2+ rifles or shotguns in the vehicle and a bow- never been a problem. I can legally hunt archery elk and rifle for bear and coyotes- and nothing says I can't do both in the same day, just that I can't do both at the same time. I do usually have the rifles in a case because I'm focused on elk during Elk season and the others would be more based on unexpected opportunity (grouse in a tree)  but I don't think it matters. I'm not pursuing game at that time while driving from one place to another. Same if I'm glassing from up high on a landing, what I find might determine what I go back to my truck and get.

I take lots of pictures of what I shoot so I'm thinking it will be obvious if my elk had a .308 hole in it.  They could also do the lead dye/color test if uncertain.
SliverSlinger

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »

And I've been given a ticket over a traffic incident that was silly and should have been nothing to worry about. But the officer was having a bad day and decided to take it out on me by using his authority in an area where it is basically his judgment call.

In theory I shouldn't have to worry if the rifle isn't in my possession. But I don't like how this scenario isn't well defined in the regulations and leaves judgement to the officer.

Heaven help us in a world where officers have no ability to exercise judgement.  You want a cut and dry world.  It doesn't exist.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »
Ghost,

I did not mean to imply that Packing Heat is against the law.
The point that I was trying to make is this; appearances are important.
If you look and act like like you're up to no good, that is the direction the conversation will go.
The appearance of impropriety can/will get LO thinking that somethings up.

Discretion and looking at situations from LO's point of view can go a long ways towards avoiding conflict.
I have generally had nothing but good experiences with Wardens.
But things do come up,

Example:
I had a cut occur while hunting deer in 1985ish.
It was from a stick or something, minor scratch.
Later that day I was stopped by a warden while driving out of the woods.
We talked and then he started asking a bunch of questions about the blood on my finger/hand.
I had forgotten about it till he pointed it out.
Well, it took a bit of splaining to convince him that there was no crime, IE, poached deer.
I understood his position, but at the same time the direction of the conversation made me nervous.

Now, the above was an unavoidable situation, but it has taught me to be aware of potential problems.
Just the APPEARANCE of some wrongdoing can get the ball rolling.
Then if a guy gets indignant and starts declaring what his "Rights" are things may get heated.
Next time you see that wardon/LO, he may have you on his radar, irrespective of your innocence.

Empathy and looking at the whole picture can avoid confusion.

Be safe,
Rob.

Oh I agree completely.

I come in contact with several game agents through the year,so maybe I am a little more relaxed around them. I got a parking ticket from one once and although it was my honest mistake I understood his point.

I the only thing that qills me ,is there shouldn't be any concern over me or anyone packing heat [ handgun ] during bow,muzzy or modern. It is well established fact that the law allows it and any one who wants too should not have to give it a 2nd thought.
I think game agents are well informed on self defense carry and unless there is some other evidence besides the fact you are packing that leads them to think you were up to no good ,well they just aren't going to care.

I have never bought into the thinking that you shouldn't exercise your rights because some one might think ill of you. Be polite and cordial. :twocents:
That's been my experience.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
Heaven help us in a world where officers have no ability to exercise judgement.  You want a cut and dry world.  It doesn't exist.

I'm not making any demands of the world. But this is a scenario that could easily be handled in the game regulations with just a few sentences. They have a well defined regulation on hunting with aircraft and this is a far more common scenario.

I think I'll email the director and see what he says.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
I the only thing that qills me ,is there shouldn't be any concern over me or anyone packing heat [ handgun ] during bow,muzzy or modern. It is well established fact that the law allows it and any one who wants too should not have to give it a 2nd thought.

It is allowed but I still wouldn't take anything that would give me better range than a bow. For example I would never take a .357 with a scope.

I think it would be analogous to getting pulled over with a radar detector in view. Maybe you won't get a speeding ticket but there is no way in hell you are getting a break on anything that might be wrong.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal