collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Meat Cooler  (Read 6544 times)

Offline Wood2Sawdust

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Meat Cooler
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Built 12 in concrete lid and floor 6 inch walls, with 2 feet dirt on top, It stays 70 degrees in summer even with 2 freezers putting out heat in there. In winter about 42 degrees. 2 inch foil wrapped foam on most of walls and lid. I put rebar hangers in ceiling when I built it. Coolbot will cool it down to 34 pretty fast when I need it. My wife and son's family think it is for more than the meat that I built it for.

Offline Wood2Sawdust

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
Outside

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 06:01:40 AM »
The place we bought years ago has a 6' x 10' cooler, complete with hanging rails, built in the garage.  Old compressor setup never has worked.  Never wanted to fund a replacement for a 40 year old compressor so I put shelves in and been using it for storage.  Doing some organizing and cleanup, and decided it's time to put it to use for what it was designed for.  This Coolbot deal looks like the way to go. 
If I go with a 18K - 24K BTU unit, will it get temps down to low-mid 30's?
Thunt, I might be interested if you still have the Coolbot.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
The place we bought years ago has a 6' x 10' cooler, complete with hanging rails, built in the garage.  Old compressor setup never has worked.  Never wanted to fund a replacement for a 40 year old compressor so I put shelves in and been using it for storage.  Doing some organizing and cleanup, and decided it's time to put it to use for what it was designed for.  This Coolbot deal looks like the way to go. 

For that size room 18-24k should be just fine, if not big.  Too big and it can cycle the unit causing pre-mature failure, but, if your only hanging meat once or twice a year I wouldn't sweat it. 

Another thing to remember is, like a refrigerator, the system will work better if it has a load on it. I'd keep some flats of bottled water, or jugs of water in the cooler when your running it empty. Doesn't take much, but will keep the temps more consistant and the compressor will thank you.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:35 AM »
This is getting me thinking, maybe I'll dream up a small setup that isn't permanent and doesn't cost much.  I have a window ac unit that won't be doing much in October as well as a unit out of a soda machine.  I'm thinking something like Koolabuck, only not $3,500.  It would primarily be for my garage, but could also be portable and run off a generator for summer hunts.

I just insulated the top of my fishbox in my boat with the bubble wrap/foil stuff.  It is pretty pricey, but you could simply sew that onto some cheap fabric and use a simple pvc frame to hold it up.  I could probably get that done for under $150.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Built 12 in concrete lid and floor 6 inch walls, with 2 feet dirt on top, It stays 70 degrees in summer even with 2 freezers putting out heat in there. In winter about 42 degrees. 2 inch foil wrapped foam on most of walls and lid. I put rebar hangers in ceiling when I built it. Coolbot will cool it down to 34 pretty fast when I need it. My wife and son's family think it is for more than the meat that I built it for.

Next place I purchase will demand a long trip to the far end of the property to get to my shop (my shop means mine and mine alone , and no one else will store so much as a business card in it).  Period. Full stop. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:22:49 AM by Rainier10 »

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »

Next place I purchase will demand a long trip to the far end of the property to get to my shop (my shop means mine and mine alone , and no one else will store so much as a business card in it).  Period. Full stop. 

:yeah:    :chuckle: :chuckle:  I seem to keep collecting empty canning jars that don't fill up :dunno: :rolleyes:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
I have a 6x9ish that I use a coolbot for. I have a 12,000 btu a/c and it holds 35 no problem.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
I'd just get the biggest 110V AC unit you can find (12,000 to 14,000 BTU) and use a cool bot. Should be able to hold 36 or 37 no problem.  I have great luck with mine and don't even have that great of insulation.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
I bought THunt's coolbot and then found a commercial cooler for dirt cheap so now not going to use it.  If any of you guys are interested in it pm me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]