collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to N. Idaho advice  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Kpem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
New to N. Idaho advice
« on: June 08, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »
Just bought a house in post falls, Idaho. I'm exploring the opportunity to hunt elk here in north Idaho but have no idea where to start. I know there is tons and tons of public land up here to go after but having trouble pinpointing an area to kick off. I am undecided on bow or rifle as of yet, so i'm open to both, though I've never hunted elk with a bow,m could be a fun new one on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm 24 years old and in great shape, although for scouting purposes it would be cool to find somewhere I could explore by truck or atv access until I find an area to call home and really dump some time into.

If anyone's willing to lend a hand or take me under there wing, drop me a PM. It wont go unappreciated. Or any small tid bits of info i'd appreciate as well.

Thanks fellas
Kevin

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: New to N. Idaho advice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
Call the Biologist for the areas and get some ideas from him.  Than go scout it... 
275 down 2

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
The panhandle tags offer both archery and rifle opportunities.  Jump in with two feet, you'll be all right  :tup:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »
Well, drive for about ten minutes and you'll be in some of the best elk country there is, besides maybe Yellowstone.   It should take you about one evening to figure it all out. 

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
Well, drive for about ten minutes and you'll be in some of the best elk country there is, besides maybe Yellowstone.   It should take you about one evening to figure it all out.

Pretty much.  The panhandle gives you an opportunity to have a lot of areas.  In a day trip you will find fresh sign I am positive.   Then start exploring that area more and it will become clear to you.  I find new areas every time I go into the woods.  Key points to remember.  The timber is your friend, learn to love the brush, if there are game trails use them, walk slow.and listen sound does not travel far, don't sit and watch a clear cut all day, and you don't have to be as far from the road as you think. You may think an area is desolate of elk then a min later you are in a herd of elk. 

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »
I would look South.  Best hunting.   :twocents:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »

Pretty much.  The panhandle gives you an opportunity to have a lot of areas.  In a day trip you will find fresh sign I am positive.   Then start exploring that area more and it will become clear to you.  I find new areas every time I go into the woods.  Key points to remember.  The timber is your friend, learn to love the brush, if there are game trails use them, walk slow.and listen sound does not travel far, don't sit and watch a clear cut all day, and you don't have to be as far from the road as you think. You may think an area is desolate of elk then a min later you are in a herd of elk.

and the old story "Steep and DEEP" is a bunch of horse poo.   I've been knee deep in bugling bulls with roads all around me in the panhandle.   In fact its typical moose country where the critters run the roads to close the distance because its often so dang thick.   

Offline Kpem

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
I've camped up around Big hank campground and noticed quite a few areas I could venture off the road to, I was thinking of checking out that area though it's a little further east. Also I've hunted up around hauser lake (but on the wa side) and down near mica peak (also wa side) in the past as well, would those be decent places to get an idea?

I really want to check out the area up north of Kingston. I've driven through there before during season and seen tons of trucks pulled off left and right. But again it's not knowing exactly where to decided to stop the truck and start the hoofing it.

It sounds like the general consensus is that you really can't go wrong no matter where you're at. My new place is about halfway between post falls and rathdrum so if I could find somewhere in relatively close proximity, my thought is I'll be able to have the opportunity to spend a lot more time doing my homework on the area.

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
camp up at independence creek. your welcome.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
Come on guys there are very little elk in the panhandle after the wolves.  To get to the ones that are there you have to be miles in the deep and steep areas. 

There are elk in all the areas you have stated you just need to get boots on the ground to start figuring them out and the area out.  I am going to say what helped me out after coming to Idaho is narrow it down to one or two areas and just focus on them tell you learn them.  My first two years I thought the grass was always greener and kept moving from location to location and never learning a single location which I think was part of me not being successful.  I think this is good to do in off season but sure isn't during the season.  I have now focused on one area the last 3 years and have tagged out two of them.  Also had an excellent caller call both of them in.   How I picked my area is I drove through during season and found where no one was camping or hunting and that was my new spot.  Haha

Offline Kpem

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
Does anybody have experience out near boundary ridge and the big hank/devils elbow area? Thinking of maybe setting up camp at either of those spots and scouting up for a weekend trip, that way the girl can decide to come up for the night if desired and camp should be a breeze. Also ive been looking at grizzly mountain and just north of it on the ridge.

If anyone can shed some light on these areas id appreciate it! A buddy of mine hunts south of the freeway, but i have no idea whats out there.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
Look South of the freeway.  That's all I'll give.

Offline Kpem

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »
Thank you sir!

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
Look South of the freeway.  That's all I'll give.

I agree that's where I tell everyone also.  Nothing north of freeway.  :-)

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 06:59:47 AM »
Congratulations on your purchase, and best of luck hunting the area.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]