collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to N. Idaho advice  (Read 7292 times)

Offline Kpem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: New to N. Idaho advice
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
Thanks! Do you all just hunt deer up north then? I know there are some monster Mmuleys if you can get to them up there! Also how about the wolf hunting? That's something I'm most excited to check out

And bear I suppose  :chuckle:

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 08:34:12 AM »
Lots of different opportunities around here.  Been around wolves but never had a shot.  Whitetail hunting is good around here, mulies are tough, if anyone is dumb enough to give up a mulies spot up here, then take advantage of it. 
Sounds to me like you are chomping at the bit to get out in the mountains.  Do it and a lot of your questions will be answered.  There is a lot of hunters around here and when you figure out an area it's best to keep it to your self.  You may not see physical animals your first few trips, but look for the evidence they leave behind and you are gonna have a fun season.

Offline Kpem

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 05:08:00 AM »
So went out scouting an area i liked on the map, on foot, after an hour or so of hoofing it up the trail, a kid on a quad came screaming past me, looking at me like im crazy.

I've been studying all the maps looking for prime area, more particularly area that show non motorized roads, so that maybe i can avoid getting passed by quads or a side by side haha. Does anyone know if the ID hunt planner map is actually accurate. Looking at area over toward the boarder in unit 4 that has a good amount of everything with some non-motorized access?

Also been looking south of the freeway for non-motorized as well, its tough to find roads like that, that dont have a motorized atv road or jeep road within a hundred yards.

I havent gotten the opportunity to actually get out and scout yet, i just want to make sure when i do im not wasting my time on an area that will be crawling with hunters on rigs that i dont have. I didnt think it would be this hard to get away from people haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated, im just new to this kind of hunting and want to do my best to make the most of it!

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 07:28:52 AM »
If you're in Idaho and there's some type of road or trail chances are you'll see 4-wheelers whether they're suppose to be there or not. If you want to get away from people I'd just park and hike up a ridge without any trails.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
So went out scouting an area i liked on the map, on foot, after an hour or so of hoofing it up the trail, a kid on a quad came screaming past me, looking at me like im crazy.

I've been studying all the maps looking for prime area, more particularly area that show non motorized roads, so that maybe i can avoid getting passed by quads or a side by side haha. Does anyone know if the ID hunt planner map is actually accurate. Looking at area over toward the boarder in unit 4 that has a good amount of everything with some non-motorized access?

Also been looking south of the freeway for non-motorized as well, its tough to find roads like that, that dont have a motorized atv road or jeep road within a hundred yards.

I havent gotten the opportunity to actually get out and scout yet, i just want to make sure when i do im not wasting my time on an area that will be crawling with hunters on rigs that i dont have. I didnt think it would be this hard to get away from people haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated, im just new to this kind of hunting and want to do my best to make the most of it!
http://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2252207eb95b49f99b2c05228831dfbb

This will let you know all the open trails and the dates they close for any form of vehicle.  There are lots in unit 4.  It's summer time as well, lots of people out recreating. Hunting season will be similar if you get a b tag.  Lots of road hunters then. 

Offline Kpem

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
I don't expect to not see anyone i just want to get away from people in general. No worse feeling than thinking you're almost remote only to get passed up by a quad haha. I guess ill have to do some bush wacking unfortunately. Thanks for the map, ill take a look and roll the dice on if people will obey the closures to vehicles or not.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 04:54:25 PM »
I don't expect to not see anyone i just want to get away from people in general. No worse feeling than thinking you're almost remote only to get passed up by a quad haha. I guess ill have to do some bush wacking unfortunately. Thanks for the map, ill take a look and roll the dice on if people will obey the closures to vehicles or not.

Unit 4 is not the place to do that then.  I would look to the st joe for true remote walk in only areas. 

Offline Kpem

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
I was also looking to the SE corner of unit 4 which is near St. Joe, do you think thats far enough off? Like i said i dont expect to completely get away from everyone, people come from all over to hunt ID, I just figured from moving here from WA that i could avoid the pumpkin patch effect. I want to get a panhandle tag though because i can hunt more often close to home for day trips on my days off from the ER than ill be able to actually get out and camp. Thinking of going with the A tag BTW.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »
I was also looking to the SE corner of unit 4 which is near St. Joe, do you think thats far enough off? Like i said i dont expect to completely get away from everyone, people come from all over to hunt ID, I just figured from moving here from WA that i could avoid the pumpkin patch effect. I want to get a panhandle tag though because i can hunt more often close to home for day trips on my days off from the ER than ill be able to actually get out and camp. Thinking of going with the A tag BTW.

That would be a good start, check out snow peak if you are a true back country Hunter.  You won't see another atv out there!  A tag is best for a long season.  Get a muzzleloader  and get good with it.  You get a very generous season with the a tag.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]