collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mid priced spotting scope recommendations  (Read 3795 times)

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Mid priced spotting scope recommendations
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:07:26 AM »
So I recently picked up one of these  http://bushnell.com/all-products/spotting-scopes/legend-tactical/15-45x-60mm-t-series.  With excitement I ran up to look at the local elk herd this evening and was disappointed to see pretty bad distortion around a good portion of the perimeter, not just the edge.  I can adjust focus, but then the middle is off.  Basically the useable field of view is small.  I like the size and the mil dots for ranging purposes, but it's going back. Is there a good spotting scope with similar power, dimensions, and a ranging reticle in the $500-$750 range?

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mid priced spotting scope recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:30:01 AM »
Leupold came out with some new stuff recently.  Would be an improvement over the Bushnell for sure.  Probably in your price range as well.  Just don't look through any high end stuff.  It will make you dig a little deeper in that wallet.

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »
Leupold SX-1 Ventana 2 Spotting Scope 15-45x 60mm This one is under $350.00.
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
Vanguard Endeavor HD65 is about 450 bucks and optically & functionally better than anything in its price range. There is a HD82 model as well if you want bigger. I've had mine out with a Swaro 65,Razor 85 and a Leupold Gold Ring 12x40x60HD on a long range shooting session and the only glaring difference was all the extra money I still had in my pocket. The Razor was by far the best but also an 85 so not an apples to apples comparison. I'm sure the others outshine under certain conditions but not 700 or 1700 better! Check out Rokslide for a nice review on them a couple of years back and most reviews are positive as well. Budget spotters usually come with a giant disappointment attached to them but I've never regretted my purchase or felt like I needed to upgrade other than sometimes I wish I had the 82 for more magnification and light gathering but not for packing. A quality tripod and head are equally as important so don't forget to factor that in as well. Vanguard makes some nice tripods as well. Mine came with the alta 233 at the time of purchase for free so it sweetened the pot even more on my purchase. Good luck in your quest for a budget spotter. :tup: :twocents:

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
I'll second the Vanguard hd 82 for that price range,  picked one up last winter and it is clear.   I've used vortex viper hd 65 and a swaro non hd 65, and nikon ed50 (best little scope ever), and i think this will hold its own.  I'll be using it heavily this fall,  if it doesn't work well enough I'll be selling it on here.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
I too have a vanguard 82hd. If I had it to do over I'd save a pound and buy the 65 but I'm happy with the optical quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
My recommendation is to save up for another year and buy a high end scope. Use what you have for now. You will be much happier in the end.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »
A spotting scope with rangefinding capabilities? 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jharristealth

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
A spotting scope with rangefinding capabilities? 
I think he is looking for one using milliradian formula off the mill dots on certain scopes that have them. Fwiw, i also have the vanguard 82a hd and its been an excellent scope for the price point its offered in. I have owned and abused it for nearly 4 years now and it has had no issues at all. It is not offered with a mill dot recticle, but i dont think there are any quality glass scopes offered in the mid range pricepoint that i have seen.

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I decided I could live without a reticle and picked up a refurbed Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/498397/leupold-golden-ring-spotting-scope-12-40x-60mm-shadow-gray-refurbished

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I decided I could live without a reticle and picked up a refurbed Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/498397/leupold-golden-ring-spotting-scope-12-40x-60mm-shadow-gray-refurbished

That is a very good price on terrific hunting scope.  I have had ours since ~ 1992.  We have larger scopes, and we also have smaller scopes but it is the one that I consider both packable and with plenty of power for most applications.  The big scopes are just too heavy to pack far when we have this and the 20x50 Leupold we have lacks enough magnification sometimes.   I have used a couple of the newer 50mm compact variables but found them wanting in too many ways to buy one.   

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »
Good call! Used one on moose hunt and with my eyes could barely tell difference between that and HD Swarovski 65mm. Young eyes can but not these. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]