collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Manson  (Read 20634 times)

Offline hirshey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Manson
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 10:50:36 AM »
humm funny met a guy sat mid day out at camp 4 along grade creek. he mentioned seeing a few cats on camera and see a bull moose in Antalon lake. might this be you? if so i was the guy with wife and daughter eating lunch after walking to the end of the mountain and back seeing a floppy eared doe.

What is up with those floppy ears? I asked biologists about a decade ago and they had no explanation, but also no interest.  :dunno:
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
humm funny met a guy sat mid day out at camp 4 along grade creek. he mentioned seeing a few cats on camera and see a bull moose in Antalon lake. might this be you? if so i was the guy with wife and daughter eating lunch after walking to the end of the mountain and back seeing a floppy eared doe.

What is up with those floppy ears? I asked biologists about a decade ago and they had no explanation, but also no interest.  :dunno:

We had a doe around for a few years we called Donkey Doe.

Offline Mulieman

• Tracker
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »

They probably were watching the same group I was then. And yeah supposed to get snow Saturday. Gonna be windy as hell tomorrow then be snowy and calm Saturday. Ought to be good! There's a big kitty problem below the Grade Creek road too. I've had three different cougars come through with regularity (about once every ten days or so) and haven't had any deer come by that camera since they started. Funny how that happens. Wouldn't mind sticking a tag on the tom.

I saw a cougar hanging in a camp at Antillon Lake after opening weekend and heard there were 3 travelling together when they got that one.

Well I had all three on camera at once. Crazy, did you hear roughly where it got shot?
[/quote]

No, other guys in my camp heard it on the radio. They heard "we got one the other two are headed your way".

Offline heavyhorned

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »

we see a couple every year. this one looked as though her right ear was almost ripped off. we see it more often up high. hell had a friend who shoot a one eared 4x4.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »

we see a couple every year. this one looked as though her right ear was almost ripped off. we see it more often up high. hell had a friend who shoot a one eared 4x4.

Yeah I've seen a lot of those critters... I have taken photos of them in Chelan county for a decade... figured either frost or parasite must degrade the tendons or muscles that control the ears. Found one doe 3 years in a row that had ears like a Scottish terrier; short and pointy. She was DEFINITELY a frostbite case.. those ears were rough! That Manson unit is pretty cool. Lots of unexpected species and unique cases to see.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »

Yeah I've seen a lot of those critters... I have taken photos of them in Chelan county for a decade... figured either frost or parasite must degrade the tendons or muscles that control the ears. Found one doe 3 years in a row that had ears like a Scottish terrier; short and pointy. She was DEFINITELY a frostbite case.. those ears were rough! That Manson unit is pretty cool. Lots of unexpected species and unique cases to see.

Floppy ole gal!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
Most of the floppy eared deer I've seen are mule deer, and most that I've examined in hand appear to most likely be frostbite.  Some are definitely physical trauma, similar to the split and notched ears - I suspect mostly escaped predation attempts, though barb wire and other trauma possibilities too. 

I saw more in Wyoming than Washington, not surprising with the wind and systems that bring arctic cold down into the lower 48.  I've seen a few that had their ears broken off after severe frost trauma, from just stubs to half ears.  One of my favorites was with a camp of Washington hunters I checked every year in Wyoming, the patriarch of the group was very selective and either killed big bucks or ate his tag.  I rolled into their camp one day just after they'd arrived back with his wimpy 17" wide buck.  He had jumped it in heavy cover and made a split second decision to shoot when he saw it was at least 6" past his ears - but he was missing the outer half of his ears!  His group members had taken a lot of ribbing form him over the years, and they were paying it back with interest.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline westside Elkhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »
Cougforester pm sent

Offline heavyhorned

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
well looks like one nice 4x5 made it.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
"Floppy eared deer" must be some in-breeding going on with rabbits!! :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :IBCOOL: 
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline RileyH

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »
Happy to take PM's from any late tag holders (@Westside) as well.

My ol' man had the tag last year and we hunted it hard up high and down low. Ended up killing a 170" buck he passed twice earlier because we ran out of time, family vacation to Hawaii...

:chuckle:

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Thanks RileyH for the offer. Went over last weekend and found a decent 3point chasing a doe. She made a great one shot kill. And hunt was over. She is still pretty excited about it. Any pics of your dads buck?  You find the buck up high?

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
Has anybody heard how the other tag holders did?

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
I heard there are lots of deer this year in that unit. Late archery should be good there this year..

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
I heard there are lots of deer this year in that unit. Late archery should be good there this year..

Lol, don't want people in another unit close by?  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand