collapse
LockNLoad Outfitting  Central Alberta Outfitter Be a more successful hunter!

Author Topic: Chiwawa  (Read 6255 times)

Offline gls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Chiwawa
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
I drew the Chiwawa quality tag, any ideas on where to start

Offline borntoslay

• Hunter
Re: Chiwawa
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
😢

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »
Seriously? You guys are all wrong. Maybe he wanted to draw and learn a new unit. He has 4 full months to scout and a 3 week season to hunt. That's more than enough time to learn a new unit and have a successful hunt.

gls, I don't know a ton about the unit but I've hunted it a couple times. Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.

Offline Jimmer

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »
Seriously? You guys are all wrong. Maybe he wanted to draw and learn a new unit. He has 4 full months to scout and a 3 week season to hunt. That's more than enough time to learn a new unit and have a successful hunt.

gls, I don't know a ton about the unit but I've hunted it a couple times. Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.
youre right, roll out a map and you have 4 months to scout. My property boarders timber property in 117 that holds 3 bull moose that I've studied for 4 years that I guarantee are top 5 or better in the state. Why would I give out tips for something that I put in for and have done the time year after year to someone who just randomly puts in, not knowing the unit and wants tips/info?
Not greedy, but I'm not a hand out guy either.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
Everyone who draws moose tags never has a clue about the unit. Besides I think he was being sarcastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline benhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »

youre right, roll out a map and you have 4 months to scout. My property boarders timber property in 117 that holds 3 bull moose that I've studied for 4 years that I guarantee are top 5 or better in the state. Why would I give out tips for something that I put in for and have done the time year after year to someone who just randomly puts in, not knowing the unit and wants tips/info?
Not greedy, but I'm not a hand out guy either.
3 Bulls top 5 or better. That's impressive.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »
Nothing says you have to give someone tips when they ask for advice on a unit. But I also don't think we need to belittle them for asking.

benhuntin- who do you think was being sarcastic? The OP?

Offline benhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »
The OP

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
The OP

Yeah, I suppose it's possible.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 10:26:17 PM »
Start with an area you know, before you apply..

My son drew a Chiwawa tag, I've driven down highway 2, should he not have applied? He applied there to give us a reason to check out a new area.  Any tips are appreciated.  BTW, his is the antlerless youth tag before people get all butt hurt about tags being "taken" from them.....  :rolleyes:  However, getting a shot at a buck would be a priority for him, and me.   ;)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 05:45:24 AM »
Thank you Bob! I just cant believe the way some people think! I appreciate the way you do!

Offline Trevor91

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
Here are some pictures of deer I caught last year on my trail cams. Might get you excited. If he drew a doe tag it will be an easy one to fill! Pm me and I can give you some places to go! I threw the picture of the moose in there because yes there is a growing population in the chuwawa.

Offline jstone

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
People apply cause of forums like this. Give away the bank

Online WAcoueshunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
I apply for units all the time I've never been to.  This year, I bet I listed 100 units across the west I've never been in.  That's half the fun, drawing a tag and then getting the maps, checking out Google Earth, contacting former tag holders, scouting trips in the summer, etc.  I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about that.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »

^^^ This.
I apply for units all the time I've never been to.  This year, I bet I listed 100 units across the west I've never been in.  That's half the fun, drawing a tag and then getting the maps, checking out Google Earth, contacting former tag holders, scouting trips in the summer, etc.  I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about that.

^^^ And this!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
:yeah: Likewise.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »
For the late hunt (quality tag) check out the northern boundary...its been a few years, but I believe it abuts up against the swakane unit near Ardenvoir...this area is a wintering ground for the bucks migrating out of the GPW.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Mtnwalker

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
  I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about that.

Must be one of those Hardcore hunters I'm always hearing about. From what I understand, us regular guys just lower their draw odds and get in their way.

Offline Goose Noose

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
Where are you from? Id be willing to give you some pointers, or show you around some good wintering area. Im up there often from August 1st through November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »

^^^ This.

^^^ And this!
:yeah: I apply for the tucannon every year and I've never stepped foot in it. People apply for tough draws to have a great hunt, they may never draw or it may take over 22 years.  If I scouted in the tucannon when I started applying , I'd forget what I learned by now.  People should be able to ask for help on here, I look at permit units differently from open units, there is a very good chance we will only hunt those special places once or twice in our lifetime.  I hope he gets some good info.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
    • Backcountryhunting.net
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
I've applied for units I've never set foot in as well.  However before applying for a unit you can bet I've spent hours, researching it, looking at maps, google earth, talking to former tag holders, etc.  That is a lot of the fun, so when I do draw those particular tags I've already got my starting points 1-5 generally.  I'm not asking where do I start?  There's a big difference. The O.P. made it sound like he randomly picked the unit, got drawn and is now asking for a handout.  That's what I have a problem with.

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
I've applied for units I've never set foot in as well.  However before applying for a unit you can bet I've spent hours, researching it, looking at maps, google earth, talking to former tag holders, etc.  That is a lot of the fun, so when I do draw those particular tags I've already got my starting points 1-5 generally.  I'm not asking where do I start?  There's a big difference. The O.P. made it sound like he randomly picked the unit, got drawn and is now asking for a handout.  That's what I have a problem with.
I hear what your saying Brian, but your more of a stats guy than most.  You probably know the odds of drawing that tag off the top of your head!  😁

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »

This attitude is the kind of thing that makes new people not want to post on here, and the rest of us post a lot less.  Lots of posts here come across as sour grapes.

You sure read a lot into the OP's  post.  He didn't make it sounds like anything other than "hey, just got a Chiwawa tag, any ideas on where to start?"  I don't see anything here that justifies the amount of negativity that followed. You don't know why he picked that unit (not that it's anybody's business anyway), he's not asking for a handout, and 5 years of legwork ahead of a deer hunt doesn't sound like fun to everybody. Sometimes people just want an above average chance to kill a nice buck.  He got it, good for him.  Hope he gets a masher.

All that said, I'm going to keep what little info I have that might be relevant to myself.  There is an outside chance I'll end up hunting up there again, and I've learned the hard way that you can't unshare info you've shared. But I'll be danged if I'm going to come on here and piss on this guys parade.

Happy for you OP, good luck on your hunt.  :tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »

^^^ This.

^^^ And this!
:yeah: I apply for the tucannon every year and I've never stepped foot in it. People apply for tough draws to have a great hunt, they may never draw or it may take over 22 years.  If I scouted in the tucannon when I started applying , I'd forget what I learned by now.  People should be able to ask for help on here, I look at permit units differently from open units, there is a very good chance we will only hunt those special places once or twice in our lifetime.  I hope he gets some good info.
What he said.  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Disclaimer: This my SWAG. Not even an opinion. This is not my version of a 14th hand version of a fairy tale. It is also not the opinion of the Hunt Wa. site, it's owner, or any of the moderators or admins, not even me. Scouts honor. :salute:

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
Just did the "dirty face" poker run today.  Much of it was in the Chiwawa unit.  There are roads all over that open right now.  Head over there and head up into the hills and get to know the roads.  Right now the brush is thick with vegetation.  It will be easier to see animals in the winter but for now just learning the roads will help tremendously.  It is really steep but if you get up high you can see areas that will likely hold deer during your season.

Good luck with the tag, looking forward to hearing how you do.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Recent Topics

Lots of hunting stuff by Buckhunter28
[Today at 07:07:40 PM]

Bear pic. by Timberstalker
[Today at 07:06:17 PM]

Helicopter flying in clients for high hunt gpw by teanawayslayer
[Today at 07:05:35 PM]

Homemade pizza advice needed by kselkhunter
[Today at 07:02:24 PM]

never had this before by b23
[Today at 06:46:04 PM]

FS 24' 2008 Travel Trailer by Hunterman