collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chiwawa  (Read 18158 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Chiwawa
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
I apply for units all the time I've never been to.  This year, I bet I listed 100 units across the west I've never been in.  That's half the fun, drawing a tag and then getting the maps, checking out Google Earth, contacting former tag holders, scouting trips in the summer, etc.  I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about that.
:yeah: Likewise.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »
For the late hunt (quality tag) check out the northern boundary...its been a few years, but I believe it abuts up against the swakane unit near Ardenvoir...this area is a wintering ground for the bucks migrating out of the GPW.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
  I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about that.

Must be one of those Hardcore hunters I'm always hearing about. From what I understand, us regular guys just lower their draw odds and get in their way.

Offline Goose Noose

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
Where are you from? Id be willing to give you some pointers, or show you around some good wintering area. Im up there often from August 1st through November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Seriously? You guys are all wrong. Maybe he wanted to draw and learn a new unit. He has 4 full months to scout and a 3 week season to hunt. That's more than enough time to learn a new unit and have a successful hunt.

gls, I don't know a ton about the unit but I've hunted it a couple times. Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.

^^^ This.
I apply for units all the time I've never been to.  This year, I bet I listed 100 units across the west I've never been in.  That's half the fun, drawing a tag and then getting the maps, checking out Google Earth, contacting former tag holders, scouting trips in the summer, etc.  I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about that.

^^^ And this!
:yeah: I apply for the tucannon every year and I've never stepped foot in it. People apply for tough draws to have a great hunt, they may never draw or it may take over 22 years.  If I scouted in the tucannon when I started applying , I'd forget what I learned by now.  People should be able to ask for help on here, I look at permit units differently from open units, there is a very good chance we will only hunt those special places once or twice in our lifetime.  I hope he gets some good info.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
I've applied for units I've never set foot in as well.  However before applying for a unit you can bet I've spent hours, researching it, looking at maps, google earth, talking to former tag holders, etc.  That is a lot of the fun, so when I do draw those particular tags I've already got my starting points 1-5 generally.  I'm not asking where do I start?  There's a big difference. The O.P. made it sound like he randomly picked the unit, got drawn and is now asking for a handout.  That's what I have a problem with.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
I've applied for units I've never set foot in as well.  However before applying for a unit you can bet I've spent hours, researching it, looking at maps, google earth, talking to former tag holders, etc.  That is a lot of the fun, so when I do draw those particular tags I've already got my starting points 1-5 generally.  I'm not asking where do I start?  There's a big difference. The O.P. made it sound like he randomly picked the unit, got drawn and is now asking for a handout.  That's what I have a problem with.
I hear what your saying Brian, but your more of a stats guy than most.  You probably know the odds of drawing that tag off the top of your head!  😁
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »

This attitude is the kind of thing that makes new people not want to post on here, and the rest of us post a lot less.  Lots of posts here come across as sour grapes.

You sure read a lot into the OP's  post.  He didn't make it sounds like anything other than "hey, just got a Chiwawa tag, any ideas on where to start?"  I don't see anything here that justifies the amount of negativity that followed. You don't know why he picked that unit (not that it's anybody's business anyway), he's not asking for a handout, and 5 years of legwork ahead of a deer hunt doesn't sound like fun to everybody. Sometimes people just want an above average chance to kill a nice buck.  He got it, good for him.  Hope he gets a masher.

All that said, I'm going to keep what little info I have that might be relevant to myself.  There is an outside chance I'll end up hunting up there again, and I've learned the hard way that you can't unshare info you've shared. But I'll be danged if I'm going to come on here and piss on this guys parade.

Happy for you OP, good luck on your hunt.  :tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
Seriously? You guys are all wrong. Maybe he wanted to draw and learn a new unit. He has 4 full months to scout and a 3 week season to hunt. That's more than enough time to learn a new unit and have a successful hunt.

gls, I don't know a ton about the unit but I've hunted it a couple times. Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.

^^^ This.

^^^ And this!
:yeah: I apply for the tucannon every year and I've never stepped foot in it. People apply for tough draws to have a great hunt, they may never draw or it may take over 22 years.  If I scouted in the tucannon when I started applying , I'd forget what I learned by now.  People should be able to ask for help on here, I look at permit units differently from open units, there is a very good chance we will only hunt those special places once or twice in our lifetime.  I hope he gets some good info.
What he said.  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
Just did the "dirty face" poker run today.  Much of it was in the Chiwawa unit.  There are roads all over that open right now.  Head over there and head up into the hills and get to know the roads.  Right now the brush is thick with vegetation.  It will be easier to see animals in the winter but for now just learning the roads will help tremendously.  It is really steep but if you get up high you can see areas that will likely hold deer during your season.

Good luck with the tag, looking forward to hearing how you do.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline scoutdog346

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
 jealousy?

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
you may want to learn the areas in the chiwawa river drainage. Those big bucks coming out of the wilderness filter into the valley. Depending on the weather they hang up in there pretty good. In recent years there hasn't been enough weather to drive them out. :twocents:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »

:yeah:

If I only applied for units I know, I wouldn't apply for many tags and I wouldn't go on 2 or 3 out of state hunts every year.  Half the fun is learning a new unit and talking to guys that have had the tag before.  I've made a few friends that way now. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »

What's the difference if you wait until you have the tag before you do this?   :dunno:

I've been told many times by former tag holders to get a hold of them when I draw the tag.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »
I drew the Chiwawa quality tag, any ideas on where to start

I don't mind helping privately, and I have many many times with people I've met on the forum.  But when you put this little amount of effort into a post asking for hard earned information, I think you should get NONE! :twocents:

I agree if you don't know anything about the unit you applied for the wrong one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get why some people think a hunting unit is their own private hunting ground.  Weird..............
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX