collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cabelas/Vortex Intrepid Spotting Scope  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Buckhunter28

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
Cabelas/Vortex Intrepid Spotting Scope
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
Looking to see if anyone has a Cabelas/Vortex Intrepid spotting scope, and what your thoughts are on it! Went and looked at them at Cabelas, and compared it with the Razor and Viper, although it's hard to get a true judgement indoors. From what I have read, quality wise it is in between the Razor and Viper, but at a better price than the Viper, and is under Vortex Warranty. So I'd like to hear some personal input from anyone who may own one. Thanks!

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
Re: Cabelas/Vortex Intrepid Spotting Scope
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »
 Bumping this because they are on sale right now. Any opinions on this scope?
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »
If you decide to buy it, get those $100 Cabelas gift cards for $80 from Ebay, or $50 for 40 bucks to save like 20% on it.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
Bumping again :chuckle:

I was just going to start a post on this.  The gen 1 Razor is on sale for $799 at Sportsmans and is 16-48-65.  I found two in stock at my store.  I just saw this Cabelas version and its cheaper, which intrigues me, and claims to have slightly less quality glass, but still better than the viper. Its a little heavier, but it has the 80 mm objective, which might be nice as well.

Would love to hear anyone's feedback!!!!  Hoping to pull the trigger before Saturday.

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
I started the post, and I'll give a little insight! I went and bought one(of course when it was on sale for $600 and now its $500 :bash:) and so far have been overwhelmingly happy with the results I've had! Even not on sale, $800 is more than a fair price for what you get! The scope, quality wise, falls between the Viper and Razor but at a cheaper price than the Viper, this being it is only sold by Cabelas and they are putting their name on it. All the Intrepid/Cabelas optics are manufactured and backed by Vortex's warranty, Cabelas just puts their name on it and, ironically, the price goes down. Even when pushed up to 60x zoom, there is little clarity loss and field of view loss, and it does an excellent job of allowing plenty of light in, making glassing in even low light conditions not a problem. It followed all my expectations of quality to expect from a Vortex product(I own QUITE a few), and this standard was met in both build and glass quality. The two cons I found were that the neoprene cover is a b**** to get on it, but once its on, its a good, tight secure fit. The other is that there is no fine focus adjustment, but with steady hands and slow movements you can get it dialed in with the regular knob. For $500 on sale right now, I'm considering buying a second because that's the best price you will find on a scope of this caliber. I'd recommend it to anyone in the market right now, but not looking to break the bank and go over $1000. On a side note, there isn't even a whole world of difference9in my perspective) when I compared it with even the Razor. As I said, this is a great scope at an even better price! Hope this helps to all who were curious about this not-so-well known scope like I was!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
Thanks for the review, that was very helpful.  I only wish they offered them in 65mm and that would make it a no-brainer for me.  That thing looks pretty big and heavy to be packing around all the time and I'm not sure it would fit in my pack.

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »
No problem, I think it a much less known scope that needs publicity for how great it is, it is a great bang for your buck! And that would be nice, I get that this model is a bit large especially fora  backpack hunt where every bit of weight matters.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
The thing is that I can pick it up for $500 and buy some gift cards off eBay for $400 and probably scratch up a Cabelas coupon and have it free shipped to my house.  Worst case, I return it to the store.  I'm having trouble seeing how this could go wrong.

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
Does seem like a no brainer to me, like I said I'm thinking about buying a second one at the price they're at! I dont think you can go wrong on this one, and once you take it out and look through 'er, you'll be glad you purchased it, I was just agreeing with you on that a 65mm option would be great! Also, there is a free shipping coupon on orders over $100 right now on Cabelas good through the 12th of this month, code is 97FREE

Offline Maligator

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »
I just ordered the 20-60x80 and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. Just couldn't pass up the price  :tup:
NAHC Life Member

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »
Glad to hear!! You will not be disappointed it's a great scope  :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
I ended up picking up the 50mm Razor just for packability but I wish I had another $500 laying around.  If I was a betting man, they will probably discontinue this line at some point in which case any warranty work could get you a much better scope in the mail.  That would be the deal of the century.

Vortex mentioned in a Youtube post that the Cabelas scope was closer to the Viper than the Razor, even if it was the Viper at that price it would be a bargain.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
oh this is tempting...
i almost snagged  a diamondback recently, this would be quite an upgrade.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »
at 499 and 6% cash back for clicking through active junky i couldn't pass up the deal.
 :tup:
like said above, im sure that cabelas will discontinue this line, but having vortex warranty it instead of cabela's makes this a no brainer for a "budget" spotter.
thanks again for the heads up

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
There is a guy on eBay that sells $100 Cabelas gift cards for $82 shipped.  They sell out fast, but then he puts a new batch up in a day or two.  You can only buy three at a time per account, but I have used them and they are legit.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]