collapse
Helping Big Game Hunters experience adventures all over the world. Guided Moose And Black Bear Hunts

Author Topic: Got an OIL permit long before I'm due.....  (Read 24957 times)

Offline jstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Got an OIL permit long before I'm due.....
« Reply #475 on: November 03, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
Fantastic Video

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #476 on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »
What a cool write up on it and beautiful pictures!! I hope I draw that tag and can still hike! Lol Loved the story!! Great lesson on peeing!

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #477 on: November 05, 2017, 10:37:41 AM »
Now that you've had a few days anything you'd do different looking back on it? Other than being able to control the weather seems like a dream way for it all to play out.
I don't know what I could have done differently. I would have scouted more. Specifically I would have scouted the Rimrock GMU so I had a backup plan for bad weather. Bad weather happened and I didn't have a clue what to do.

I learned a lot about goat hunting, gear, backpacking, navigation, you name it.
If I was going to share 2 things from all of this....
1--I can't remember for sure why I chose the Goat Rocks but I think it was because there are 5 tags issued there and it seems like simple logic that that might make for better odds of drawing. I really wanted to shoot a goat with longer hair, which obviously means you have to wait till later in the season to do it. This is not something I thought about when I was applying. I don't think it's as important with the other OIL's as it is with goats, but access is a major concern. My good friend Drew told me about 150 times that the real trophy with a goat is the hair....wait for the hair...wait for the hair...so I did. If you want to shoot a goat with hair, you need to apply for and/or draw a unit that you can access. No messing around. All the goats in the Goat Rocks are at least a few miles from the road so make sure you can hike and either have the gear to spend the night out there or be prepared to buy it all. I can't really see day hiking from the car as a viable option. A lot of the access, trailheads, etc are up a road that is not well maintained and not at all maintained when it snows. And it's not at sea level. So be aware of that.

The other thing I would stress is nanny/billy identification. If you're not a "goat guy"(I'm not), be prepared to scour over hundreds of pictures practicing ID'ing them. From a conservation standpoint, I would have eaten my tag before I killed a nanny. I understand accidents happen, and I was prepared for that myself, but I still sat 99.7 yards from a goat I was pretty much positive was a billy for 45 minutes before I shot him. I had to convince myself I was right. (I second guess myself a lot...) Bushcraft posted this video on here a month or so ago. It's the best video I've seen for this purpose.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,218833.msg2911419.html#msg2911419
The state also sends you a bunch of material on ID also. The state of Alaska requires you take an ID test. WA sends you some of their info. Don't take it lightly. One thing I learned was that it's pretty easy to ID a billy when it's a billy. When it's a big nanny, things get more difficult. If you happen to be on FAcebook, the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance puts up a guess the sex billy/nanny pic. These were extremely helpful too. Also join the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance. It's an org that is working hard with goat conservation. They do projects here in Washington too, with the end goal being more opportunity for us to draw tags in the future. Well....for you guys to draw tags in the future. I guess I'm done with that game.
Congrats again Josh, epic journey!  And your insite will surly help future goat hunters, including myself.  You brought up very important points and that video on Identifying Billyís was great.  Let next years draw begin!!!!   You did it right and gave the respect to the hunt that it deserves! 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #478 on: November 05, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
Now that you've had a few days anything you'd do different looking back on it? Other than being able to control the weather seems like a dream way for it all to play out.
I don't know what I could have done differently. I would have scouted more. Specifically I would have scouted the Rimrock GMU so I had a backup plan for bad weather. Bad weather happened and I didn't have a clue what to do.

I learned a lot about goat hunting, gear, backpacking, navigation, you name it.
If I was going to share 2 things from all of this....
1--I can't remember for sure why I chose the Goat Rocks but I think it was because there are 5 tags issued there and it seems like simple logic that that might make for better odds of drawing. I really wanted to shoot a goat with longer hair, which obviously means you have to wait till later in the season to do it. This is not something I thought about when I was applying. I don't think it's as important with the other OIL's as it is with goats, but access is a major concern. My good friend Drew told me about 150 times that the real trophy with a goat is the hair....wait for the hair...wait for the hair...so I did. If you want to shoot a goat with hair, you need to apply for and/or draw a unit that you can access. No messing around. All the goats in the Goat Rocks are at least a few miles from the road so make sure you can hike and either have the gear to spend the night out there or be prepared to buy it all. I can't really see day hiking from the car as a viable option. A lot of the access, trailheads, etc are up a road that is not well maintained and not at all maintained when it snows. And it's not at sea level. So be aware of that.

The other thing I would stress is nanny/billy identification. If you're not a "goat guy"(I'm not), be prepared to scour over hundreds of pictures practicing ID'ing them. From a conservation standpoint, I would have eaten my tag before I killed a nanny. I understand accidents happen, and I was prepared for that myself, but I still sat 99.7 yards from a goat I was pretty much positive was a billy for 45 minutes before I shot him. I had to convince myself I was right. (I second guess myself a lot...) Bushcraft posted this video on here a month or so ago. It's the best video I've seen for this purpose.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,218833.msg2911419.html#msg2911419
The state also sends you a bunch of material on ID also. The state of Alaska requires you take an ID test. WA sends you some of their info. Don't take it lightly. One thing I learned was that it's pretty easy to ID a billy when it's a billy. When it's a big nanny, things get more difficult. If you happen to be on FAcebook, the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance puts up a guess the sex billy/nanny pic. These were extremely helpful too. Also join the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance. It's an org that is working hard with goat conservation. They do projects here in Washington too, with the end goal being more opportunity for us to draw tags in the future. Well....for you guys to draw tags in the future. I guess I'm done with that game.
Congrats again Josh, epic journey!  And your insite will surly help future goat hunters, including myself.  You brought up very important points and that video on Identifying Billyís was great.  Let next years draw begin!!!!   You did it right and gave the respect to the hunt that it deserves!

Thanks buddy. I learned a lot from other folks in this adventure. If I can help someone next year, then Iíve done my part.  These hunts are a huge deal from a conservation standpoint and that aspect shouldnít be taken lightly as Bushcraft mentioned in that other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #479 on: November 05, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
Fantastic goat Josh!!!! I knew you'd get it done. A huge congratulations my friend. Well deserved!!!!!!
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2017, 09:00:32 PM »
Josh,
Well done my friend. Epic hunt, epic adventure,epic pics and story.
Love the vid as well.
Congrats, couldn't of happened to a better guy
If its brown knock it down

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
Thanks fellas!! Much appreciate the kind words.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline actionshooter

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
That's awesome Josh! I was rooting for ya,
  Congrats!
Rainier Arms Shooting Team

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #483 on: November 08, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
That's awesome Josh! I was rooting for ya,
  Congrats!

Thanks man. I appreciate all the support.

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #484 on: November 08, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Awesome Josh!   Jealous as in all my time in AK, Goat was the one animal I didn't get for one reason or another.  Congrats on a fantastic and hard earned trophy Billy! 

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #485 on: November 08, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
What an absolutely incredible adventure! Congrats on a true OIL hunt!

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #486 on: November 09, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Great story and congrats. 

* Recent Topics

Big Blacktails on this thread? by AKBowman
[Today at 05:52:57 AM]

Sonís montana buck by tmike
[Today at 03:59:41 AM]

Filled my multi season tag by scottfrick
[Today at 03:45:44 AM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by 280win
[Today at 03:07:58 AM]

Walther P22 review???? by b23
[Today at 01:56:49 AM]

coming soon by wheels
[Today at 01:10:49 AM]

Anybody breeding meat rabbit? by HighlandLofts
[Yesterday at 11:59:06 PM]

Mica Peak Moose question by steeleywhopper
[Yesterday at 11:37:11 PM]

2017 Elk, post them here (photos & stats) by Pete112288
[Yesterday at 11:36:44 PM]

Late Swakane rifle tags by Magnum_Willys
[Yesterday at 11:17:37 PM]

GMU 448 Stillaguamish (Skykomish) Late Buck? by stickbuck
[Yesterday at 11:10:00 PM]

Elk area 4601 / beginning elk hunting advice by Dan-o
[Yesterday at 11:03:51 PM]

Kayaks, Who hunts with them? Let's see your set up. by lokidog
[Yesterday at 11:00:09 PM]

Trump Administration Lifts Ban on Imports of Elephant Hunting Trophies by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:55:56 PM]

My crockpot cooking by Widgeondeke
[Yesterday at 10:53:23 PM]

Bear Hunter 2017/2018 Trapping Season by bear hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:19 PM]

Kori (Hancock) traps by bear hunter
[Yesterday at 10:30:27 PM]

Wifeís Montana buck by Hot Lunch
[Yesterday at 10:21:54 PM]

Spokane/cda area butcher shop for a deer? by outdooraddict
[Yesterday at 10:18:36 PM]

Rogue's Gallery of bucks in my backyard by JWEBB