collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got an OIL permit long before I'm due.....  (Read 81457 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Got an OIL permit long before I'm due.....
« Reply #450 on: November 01, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
I think this will be the last pictures post. THese ivideo things you can do with an iphone are pretty cool.
This is mostly in order from the start of this adventure in June on drawing day to my last sunset in the Goat Rocks. Enjoy and thank you all for coming along for the ride.

Not a valid vimeo URL
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #451 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
Awesome documentary, Josh. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #452 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
One of the all time great HuntWa threads.  Congratulations Josh.  He is a beauty.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #453 on: November 01, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
After following this thread and then getting to be part of the hunt I can say without a doubt that video chronicles the whole thing marvelously.  The highs of getting drawn, the excitement of the scouting, the lows of the fog and snow taking you out of the game to the sun coming up and a successful end to one of the most amazing hunts I have ever been on.  Truly a Once In a Lifetime event and that video brings it all together.

So glad that it worked out for you and really appreciate you being so open and sharing it with us all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:53:13 AM by Rainier10 »
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Now that you've had a few days anything you'd do different looking back on it? Other than being able to control the weather seems like a dream way for it all to play out.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »
Now that you've had a few days anything you'd do different looking back on it? Other than being able to control the weather seems like a dream way for it all to play out.
I don't know what I could have done differently. I would have scouted more. Specifically I would have scouted the Rimrock GMU so I had a backup plan for bad weather. Bad weather happened and I didn't have a clue what to do.

I learned a lot about goat hunting, gear, backpacking, navigation, you name it.
If I was going to share 2 things from all of this....
1--I can't remember for sure why I chose the Goat Rocks but I think it was because there are 5 tags issued there and it seems like simple logic that that might make for better odds of drawing. I really wanted to shoot a goat with longer hair, which obviously means you have to wait till later in the season to do it. This is not something I thought about when I was applying. I don't think it's as important with the other OIL's as it is with goats, but access is a major concern. My good friend Drew told me about 150 times that the real trophy with a goat is the hair....wait for the hair...wait for the hair...so I did. If you want to shoot a goat with hair, you need to apply for and/or draw a unit that you can access. No messing around. All the goats in the Goat Rocks are at least a few miles from the road so make sure you can hike and either have the gear to spend the night out there or be prepared to buy it all. I can't really see day hiking from the car as a viable option. A lot of the access, trailheads, etc are up a road that is not well maintained and not at all maintained when it snows. And it's not at sea level. So be aware of that.

The other thing I would stress is nanny/billy identification. If you're not a "goat guy"(I'm not), be prepared to scour over hundreds of pictures practicing ID'ing them. From a conservation standpoint, I would have eaten my tag before I killed a nanny. I understand accidents happen, and I was prepared for that myself, but I still sat 99.7 yards from a goat I was pretty much positive was a billy for 45 minutes before I shot him. I had to convince myself I was right. (I second guess myself a lot...) Bushcraft posted this video on here a month or so ago. It's the best video I've seen for this purpose.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,218833.msg2911419.html#msg2911419
The state also sends you a bunch of material on ID also. The state of Alaska requires you take an ID test. WA sends you some of their info. Don't take it lightly. One thing I learned was that it's pretty easy to ID a billy when it's a billy. When it's a big nanny, things get more difficult. If you happen to be on FAcebook, the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance puts up a guess the sex billy/nanny pic. These were extremely helpful too. Also join the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance. It's an org that is working hard with goat conservation. They do projects here in Washington too, with the end goal being more opportunity for us to draw tags in the future. Well....for you guys to draw tags in the future. I guess I'm done with that game.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
Very cool video and write up!  Thanks for taking us along with you....

The lows make the highs higher and I'm glad you overcame the adversity that came your way.  To push through....it is often the difference maker. 

Two things I'll throw out there.

1.  In the video, (don't get me wrong it's fantastic!) But I'd change the music a little so it's not on repeat.
2.  Why when I see pics of you do I think you resemble Bearpaw?  You got that same look in your eye  :)  :dunno:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #457 on: November 01, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »

The lows make the highs higher and I'm glad you overcame the adversity that came your way.  To push through....it is often the difference maker. 

1.  In the video, (don't get me wrong it's fantastic!) But I'd change the music a little so it's not on repeat.
2.  Why when I see pics of you do I think you resemble Bearpaw?  You got that same look in your eye  :)  :dunno:

1-I just used the music the iMovie app provided. They give you like 10 choices. I can try to change it later. Don't know if that's an option.
2-First time anyone's ever said that about @bearpaw  and I. Maybe he's my long lost uncle or something. :dunno:

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
 :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Online rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
Way to go Josh!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #460 on: November 02, 2017, 07:03:01 AM »

1-I just used the music the iMovie app provided. They give you like 10 choices. I can try to change it later. Don't know if that's an option.
2-First time anyone's ever said that about @bearpaw  and I. Maybe he's my long lost uncle or something. :dunno:

hmm, couldn't have been the milkman  :chuckle:
jackelope and I were born on opposite sides of the country...
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #461 on: November 02, 2017, 07:04:20 AM »
you really had an awesome hunt, and you shared it with a friend, congrats  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #462 on: November 02, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
Awesome hunt, great write up, thanks for sharing

Offline BrownGoinDown

• Hunter
« Reply #463 on: November 02, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
Josh,

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. It adds an element to document your journey on here and so many people pulling for you, but the pressure of an OIL has to wear on a guy when you face the conditions you did. Happy it worked out in the end for you.

Sorry if you've already touched on it, but I'm curious on your shot. What gun, what bullet placement. These animals are tough, and that pic of you standing below your goat, you can see that a quiver from that thing would have sent it down a rocky roller coaster.

Thanks,

Cody

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #464 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
I will let Josh answer this as well and he has all the details on the gun and the bullet.

I can tell you watching the shot was amazing.  He was rock solid and absolutely drilled the goat.  I really should have videotaped that and am disappointed that I didn't.

He hit that goat right in the boiler and it barely budged.  It tensed up, it's left leg moved a little forward and it's head rolled to the left as it stretched out.  My guess is it took all of 8 or 9 seconds. I was waiting for a death kick or something and then the tumble down the cliff butt nothing.  That bullet basically turned that goat to stone right there in its bed.  He couldn't have laid down and presented a better shot if you staged it yourself.

I have never seen anything like it in real life and only a couple of times on TV shows.  It was amazing. 

Josh was cool as a the other side of the pillow for the shot and a total wreck after.  You could feel the emotion in the air.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]