collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6.5-284  (Read 8000 times)

Offline tlake

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: 6.5-284
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
There are  two 6.5 x 284's. This link should show the slight difference. The short action rifle limits the new longer high B.C. bullets to be used because they would be loaded further into the case  encroaching on the powder capacity with a COL of 2.8.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/6-5x284-norma-vs-6-5x284-win-101370/

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »
I'd go 260 AI...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Maybe  i'll just by a Montana Rifle Company someday. Have to research them a bit. Could sell the Kimber 7mm08 and pickup a Montana in 6.5 creedmoor. Just board lookin for a new toy.

Great post to read first thing today. Ditch that 7-08 and get a Creedmoor! 

Offline fremont

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
Keep the Kimber 7-08 and go buy a 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x284 in a rifle that fits the budget.
^^^^^

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Maybe  i'll just by a Montana Rifle Company someday. Have to research them a bit. Could sell the Kimber 7mm08 and pickup a Montana in 6.5 creedmoor. Just board lookin for a new toy.

Great post to read first thing today. Ditch that 7-08 and get a Creedmoor!

With Lapua making brass for the Creedmoor now, this would IMO be your best option and when it's all said and done, loading to normal pressures, there'd only be about 50-100 fps difference between the 6.5 Creed, a 6.5-284 seated to 2.800 w/140's and the 6.5-284 seated out long w/140's.

And just to muddy the water a little more, lol, if you really wanted a fast shooting 6.5 on a short action to shoot the heavies, you could go with a 6.5 WSM but that would require a different bolt face.  Easy peasy if this was a SA Rem 700 but maybe not so much being that it's a Kimber.

Also, don't get stuck on only one bullet.  I haven't run the numbers so I don't know myself but I know a few guys that are Rem 260 shooters that are switching over to shooting the 130 Bergers because they can't drive the 140's fast enough to make the 140's out perform the 130's at distance.

Now you probably have more to think about than you ever wanted to know.  :yike:

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »
If your really looking for the ultimate 6.5 creedmore, you could sell that kimber, buy a savage model 10, you'll still have enough money left over to pick up a vortex scope with that combination you'll me good on anything up to and including wildabeast out to at least a grand maybe further if you turn your hat back words before you shoot.

That's awesome! :chuckle:

Even if you run a 6.5x284 at a 2.800" OAL you'll beat the 260, 6.5x47 Lapua and Creedmoor in an apples to apples comparison. The 6.5x284 case is substantially larger than the others and there's no replacement for case capacity. My straight 284 cases (I use necked up Lapua 6.5x284 brass) hold 66.2gr of water so I'd assume that the 6.5 would be right at 66.0gr. The Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor case I have on hand holds 53.6 and a 6.5x47 Lapua holds 48.3gr. While you can get some very impressive results from the smaller cases with the right powder combinations, you can do the same thing with the larger cases. You just have to find the perfect burn rate to match the case capacity. That's why the little 6 Dasher and BRX cases can come so close to matching the 243 Win.

The obvious answer here though is to just go with a 260. Then you can just neck down the 7mm-08 brass that you have. :twocents:

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
That's awesome! :chuckle:

Even if you run a 6.5x284 at a 2.800" OAL you'll beat the 260, 6.5x47 Lapua and Creedmoor in an apples to apples comparison. The 6.5x284 case is substantially larger than the others and there's no replacement for case capacity. My straight 284 cases (I use necked up Lapua 6.5x284 brass) hold 66.2gr of water so I'd assume that the 6.5 would be right at 66.0gr. The Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor case I have on hand holds 53.6 and a 6.5x47 Lapua holds 48.3gr. While you can get some very impressive results from the smaller cases with the right powder combinations, you can do the same thing with the larger cases. You just have to find the perfect burn rate to match the case capacity. That's why the little 6 Dasher and BRX cases can come so close to matching the 243 Win.

The obvious answer here though is to just go with a 260. Then you can just neck down the 7mm-08 brass that you have. :twocents:

Now who would have thought the voice of reason would have come from the guy who shoots a big huge case in a little short barreled pistol but, winner winner chicken dinner, Yorke is the winner for giving the most reasonable and cost effective answer so far.  :tup:

I actually feel rather silly because I completely overlooked that.  That's some good thinkin lincoln!!!

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »

Now who would have thought the voice of reason would have come from the guy who shoots a big huge case in a little short barreled pistol but, winner winner chicken dinner, Yorke is the winner for giving the most reasonable and cost effective answer so far.  :tup:

I actually feel rather silly because I completely overlooked that.  That's some good thinkin lincoln!!!

I'm full of good advise, I just don't follow it.  :chuckle: I'm also notoriously cheap and I'll come up with any way I can to avoid buying new components.

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »

I'm full of good advise, I just don't follow it.  :chuckle: I'm also notoriously cheap and I'll come up with any way I can to avoid buying new components.

Errrrch!!!  Hold on a minute, cheap and blowing 150gr of powder out a pistol length barrel does not seem to compute to me. lol

Frugal I'll buy but cheap, not so much.  :chuckle:

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »

Errrrch!!!  Hold on a minute, cheap and blowing 150gr of powder out a pistol length barrel does not seem to compute to me. lol

It's the bullets that make me cringe more than the powder. When 300gr OTMs are the cheap plinking bullet and the target bullets are about $1.75 each, the .60 cents for the powder seems cheap. Don't forget to factor in about .50 cents worth of barrel life every shot too! :o

It makes me appreciate little rounds like the Creedmoor a bit more.

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »

It's the bullets that make me cringe more than the powder. When 300gr OTMs are the cheap plinking bullet and the target bullets are about $1.75 each, the .60 cents for the powder seems cheap. Don't forget to factor in about .50 cents worth of barrel life every shot too! :o

It makes me appreciate little rounds like the Creedmoor a bit more.

I didn't realize the necked down 408's were so hard on barrels until I talked to a friend of mine that had one of Kirby's 338 Allen Mags, yeah, he had to re-barrel it after 600 rounds.  :yike:

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
For what you're looking to achieve you might consider doing a 6.5 SAUM. The bolt face would need to be opened up but it's a 6.5 wildcat meant for a short action magazine fed rifle.

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
For what you're looking to achieve you might consider doing a 6.5 SAUM. The bolt face would need to be opened up but it's a 6.5 wildcat meant for a short action magazine fed rifle.

I like the idea of a 6.5 WSM or SAUM in a SA but I'm not very familiar with the extractor setup on a Kimber so it may not even be a possibility. 

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
I went with the 6.5 wsm out of a 7mm mag sako I used for the donor.   I did read that people like the 6.5 saum a little more for some reason.  But 270 wsm Norma brass is pretty easy to find.  A Redding bushing die and one pass through and your done.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal