collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bought a Traeger...  (Read 17101 times)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Bought a Traeger...
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »
I personally don't like to grill steaks on a traeger however cooking wings and chicken and ribs they are almost unbeatable but I can't waist a good cut of beef on one when you can or have the ability to grill it over charcoal, another thing I don't like how the heat more around the edge and not in the middle part of the grill :dunno: maybe its operator error !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »
What don't u like about Traeger pellets?
Pretty much what Timberstalker said.  They also have a binder and fillers.  It gives your meat an artificial redness.  Lumberjack is and tastes like real wood.  You can actually tell the type of wood in the pellet unlike Traeger.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
So Lumberjack is considered one of the best out there?

Never used them.  I've used these and been extremely happy with them.  Good value and superior flavor.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
Some really good tips onnhere. We roll ours into the garage and keep the pellets off the concrete to keep the dry. We've clogged ours up before... they don't even have to seem wet... We've done just about everything on ours and love it. Just try the cheapest frozen pizza and burrito and they will turn out good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 09:05:35 AM »
You want something super amazing??
Peach pie. It's like you are sinning!  :chuckle:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline mossy8352

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Ready To Go
    • http://www.facebook.com/arthur.mccahan
    • Mikes Digital Solutions
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
We make our own bacon and Canadian bacon with a seven day cure and then slow smoked in the Traeger. Really hard to beat!!!!!!!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »
You want something super amazing??
Peach pie. It's like you are sinning!  :chuckle:
We did peach, apple and bread pudding.  Let's just say they were gone in a blink!

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »
Thanks for the referral guys, I do appreciate it.    Yes I am biased, but not just because I am a dealer.  I actually became a dealer because of the difference in taste.  A good pellet can make a big difference.  Cash N Carry, Treager and the local store available pellets are 80% alder.  They say "100% hardwood", but Alder is a hardwood so the label is truthful, however they are not 100% of the flavor on the label.  Many people are be fine with the local available, they may prefer the mostly alder flavor.  But, you will taste a difference if you run a 100% hickory, 100%apple, 100%cherry, etc versus the local brands.  And yes regardless of brand, keep them off the cement floor, specially in the winter around here.

Enough of that, on to the good stuff!
Welcome to the party folks!!  Pellet grills can do pretty much anything.  Now it may not equal a electric or stick burner if you like heavy smoke flavor, but it will give a nice flavor, and the wide range of cooking ability in one unit is really nice and unsurpassed imho.

General pellet grill items to make them run even better.
  • For searing/grilling, talking high temp grill marks etc, Get a set of "grill grates"(http://www.grillgrate.com).    They really change the way a pellet grill does with high temp stuff and worth every penny.  They make a few sizes, it may be worth checking you grill mfg to see if they have custom sizes to fit your exact grill.  I just have a pair of generic long ones and put them ontop of my stock grates.
    Fish:

Flank Steak:

• Temp probes - Get a remote monitor temp gauge so you can keep an eye on you low n slow cooks.  Also consider a thermapen instant read therm.
  • Pizza stones/steel - Lets you take pizza to the next level. vI prefer steel as it is more durable and radiates heat better than the stones.  I also bought a pair of Firebricks and a longer top steel to make a small chamber.  A little DIY and get yourself a higher temp wood fired oven style cook.  It will not hit the 900*+ for classic neopolitan, but I see 550*+ and it radiates from top as well.  This setup cost me  around $60, with plates from Amazon and firebrick form a local fireplace store, though bricks are also available on amazon.  It can fit most medium and larger size pellet grills(Treager texas, GMG Daniel boone, etc)

Cooking
  • Steaks - You want to do a reverse sear.  Make sure to get a thicker steak (unless you are real good at the touch test for done-ness).  I like 1.5" ones so I can put a temp probe in.  Get your pellet grill running and smoking at low temp (180-200*)  put the steaks on there 45min-1hr.  I put a probe in and will run them long as possible, but pull off at 100* regardless of time.  Pull them off grill and crank it to max (or if you have propane or charcoal then have it up to max temp and throw them directly on that to finish if you prefer)  Once up to max temp throw them on and grill till desired done-ness, just realize your starting higher temp so times will be much shorter.  My Rectec peaks about 500-550, and usually total of 4min a side gets me right where we like it.  2min, turn 45*, 2min, flip, 2min, turn 45, 2min done.  with the above grill grates I get nice.
  • PIZZA - take n bake and even frozen pizza taste better cooked at normal temps, just gets an extra hint of wood fire flavor. They go to the next level with the DIY pizza oven above.  A large Papa murphy's take 5-6min to cook and will be crispy on the bottom with the DIY setup.
  • Pork Shoulder - It's not just for pulled pork!  Usually I see these in Cryopaks with two 6-10# shoulders.  I make one as pulled pork, the other as burnt ends.  Cook prep and start to cook both as normal.  When one of them hits 170* pull it off, let it cool a little so that you can handle it then cube it up  I have seen people say 1-2" cubes, I like them on the small side and stay at the 1/2-3/4" range.  Cube and put in foil lasagna pan.  Add sauce and mix well, just enough to coat everything, then add rub and mix, again just to coat.  What you do not want is a ton of sauce in the bottom that has to cook/burn off.  Then back in the smoker with the other butt.  I let that run a good hour, go out and stir, another 30min, then stir and maybe check one.  I have had them take 1hr, I have had them take 2.5hrs to be done, not overdone unless they are burning and black, then again some char tastes good too!  They are done when they melt in your mouth and you want to run and hide with the whole pan for yourself.
  • Pork Shoulder #2 - Take the Pork shoulder for pulled pork to 203-205*  Many have found that makes it jut fall apart easier.  It will literally fall apart in your hand.  You can foil or not foil, I prefer to foil to push thru trhe statt and I add applejuise to sweeten and keep it moist.  Regardless I would recommend when you are working with the burnt ends above pull the second shoulder and at least put it in a lasagna pan even if you do not plan to foil, it is worth it in ease of pulling off the smoker when done.  A cup or two of applejuice in bottom helps keep moist too as well as for options to follow.   DO not immediately sauce all the pulled pork, in fact most my friends and family prefer it not sauced and they add sauce as they wish.  This lets the meat be the centerpeice  and sauce and accent.  It also helps for leftovers!
  • Pork shoulder #3 - left overs, alternative uses.  Pulled pork is just great for a ton of things when not sauced.  Any left overs I put into vacuum seal bags (actually usually pull some aside before people come back for seconds).  I go about 1.5#/meal as it equates to a typical family meal for us.   Remember that apple juice./rendering in the foil pan?  I put about 1shot glass worth in bottom of the vac seal bag, then add meat, then Vac seal with a date on the bag and into freezer.  Get a good heavy bag rated for microwave use.  These are instant 5 minute meal either at home or at hunting camp.  Throw the bag in pot of boiling water and reheat and done.  For Hunting camp I will take a pound and mix with Taco seasoning in a skillet just like you would with ground meat, then let cool and vac seal.  A package of tortillas, lettuce, cheese, sour creme etc and you have a great quick camp dinner.  I have done the same with burnt ends, though they are better fresh than vac sealed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:04:34 AM by lamrith »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
Alder maybe considered a hard wood but it is one of the softest hardwoods thus considered a semi-hardwood.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
Deer shank, brisket and some thin mistery meat soon to be lunch time jerkey on the trager. Sure smells good tonight!

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »
DON'T run out of beer.  I have noticed that my beer consumption has at least doubled since I started using my Traeger.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »
Getting ready to dive in!

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »
The deer shank was actually tastier than the brisket. Gelatinous smoked heaven!

Confucius

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
Yum!

Offline PLUVIUSWAPITI

• local 2776
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
Hey just for info Fred Meyer has Honeysuckle turkey breast on sale for $1.49 a lb, great on the Traeger.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]