collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Trophy Bucks and Bulls

Author Topic: My Elk Season Fitness, is it enough?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: My Elk Season Fitness, is it enough?
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
I think Ive finally reached the point I need to get "back" in shape as well.

Yeah I agree with you on this one

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
The Shuttle pack is a lifesaver for us older guys.   Take a load a half mile, drop and go get another load and take it a mile, drop and go get previous load and take it a mile.  Gives you time to recover without sitting.  Two guys can move a lotta meat this way.  We Count on Two shuttle trips with two guys for a big bull or one for two guys for a typical bull.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
At 31 years old, do what you're doing by getting your weight down & a moderate full body work out program,. You don't need to do anything superman style for your age, you have youth in your corner. At 50 years old & older you would require a different program & mindset. Do not over think it, you will do fine with a moderate workout & weight control!

ElkNut1

Words of wisdom from Yoda himself.   :yeah:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »
WOW I had no idea this topic would spark so much conversation but I'm glad to see so many people sharing great tips and information.This week with my pack on and another 20lbs inside it I have been keeping up my routine but added squats and planks. I went from struggling to keep my normal pace with 7-10% grade to not dropping below 11% and able to finish strong. I have keep up my healthy eating and haven't felt this good in years(sleeping better, twice as much energy during the day and feeling stronger overall). Thanks for all the motivation guys and keep the tips coming!  :tup:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Keep it up!  You're doing great! :tup:

Offline Luckyone

• Pilgrim
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
 If I was you I'd start adding at least 40oz. You your pack and make sure you take the time to drink it!!!!! Gotta enjoy the process...

Offline SilkOnTheWetSide

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
If I was you I'd start adding at least 40oz. You your pack and make sure you take the time to drink it!!!!! Gotta enjoy the process...

Your weight to alcohol percentage sucks if you're packing 40s. Plus glass is heavy.

Stick to bags of wine or repackaged whiskey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »
The one thing that I have found as I have gotten older is you have to fuel the body.  I drink fluids and snack all day when I am hunting ,two bottles of vitamin water, two halo oranges, apple slices, peanuts, cheese, beef jerky and a baked chicken breast go in my pack each morning and are gone by the time I make it back to the truck where I have more food ready and another bottle of vitamin water.  I have really noticed that it helps with muscle fatigue if I stay fueled up all day.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline vandeman17

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
The one thing that I have found as I have gotten older is you have to fuel the body.  I drink fluids and snack all day when I am hunting ,two bottles of vitamin water, two halo oranges, apple slices, peanuts, cheese, beef jerky and a baked chicken breast go in my pack each morning and are gone by the time I make it back to the truck where I have more food ready and another bottle of vitamin water.  I have really noticed that it helps with muscle fatigue if I stay fueled up all day.

I agree. Buddies as well as my old man give me a hard time in the morning when I am filling my pack full of food. I eat often at home so my body is used to it and it helps provide me a consistent source of energy. With that said, eating the RIGHT kind of snacks also in very important.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

I agree. Buddies as well as my old man give me a hard time in the morning when I am filling my pack full of food. I eat often at home so my body is used to it and it helps provide me a consistent source of energy. With that said, eating the RIGHT kind of snacks also in very important.
For sure.  I hit a wall in my early 30's, maybe 32, and thought there is no way I can keep doing this until I am in my 60's.  My father in law was walking away from me going up hills.  Then I figured it out that I couldn't get by on youth alone anymore and started eating smarter, training before the season and hunting smarter.  At 35 I was a rockstar again.  Now approaching 50 there is no doubt in my mind that I will be able to do this into my 60's and hopefully 70's.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
Update 1 month later:
This last month I have made good progress but I did unfortunately have a minor set back due to a reoccurring injury with my sciatic nerve and lower back. I have had this happen the last few years and this time I was able to finally find out why and how to avoid injuring it again. I found out that I am having the warning signs of a herniated disc, the Dr. believes it is due to my job which had me bending forward for long periods of time to draw(poor posture). Thankfully these were warning signs and nothing serious. After getting a standing station set up at work and doing the stretches recommended I am back to 100%!

Shortly after the injury I was able to hike fairly normal but stopped using the treadmill with weight. By hiking and keeping a solid diet I am down another 10lbs to 205 a grand total of 40lbs in 7 months! My goal of being around 190-195 is now in reach which is exciting as I haven't been below 200lbs in over 10 years. I have started my normal treadmill, push ups, squats and planks with a weighted backpack on(now up to 35lbs) while training again.

I have to give a special thanks to Pianoman9701. I was starting to get frustrated with my injury and honestly wanted to give up training. He took me scouting to a new spot he was excited to take a look at and sure enough we found some elk! Talk about motivation! It was just the boost I needed to get me back on track. Realizing that success might actually be possible for my first year elk hunting and to make sure I take care of myself the best I can this season, I have upgrade 2 key items my boots(Crispi-Valdres) and my pack (Kifaru-Reckoning). I just wanted to make sure I was ready and that my back is healthy for when Pianoman or myself drop that big bull this Sept!  :chuckle:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
Sounds like you're on the right path!  Lots of people invest a lot of money into rifles, optics, etc before they look at their boots and pack, which will help prevent fatigue and injury.   Keep up the good work!   :tup:

Offline coachcw

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
Just get fat then you don't have to waste time eating while you hunt .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »

HAHAHA I like the sound of that strategy!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »

HAHAHA I like the sound of that strategy!

So I had a plan afterall!! Good to know.

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline elkboy

• Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »
Awesome, Cab!  Congratulations on the progress!  Looks like you are doing all of the right things.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm sorry you're having those problems, Cab. And I'm also sorry I was nodding off after our last trip after we got home. I'm afraid I wasn't a great host that afternoon. I'm glad we got into some elk. They're such amazing critters.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
I'm sorry you're having those problems, Cab. And I'm also sorry I was nodding off after our last trip after we got home. I'm afraid I wasn't a great host that afternoon. I'm glad we got into some elk. They're such amazing critters.  :tup:

Pianoman you were a GREAT host, we drove out at 5am so it was a long day. Not a problem about the yawns my wife literally text me to go pick her up just as I left. I'm just excited to get back out there with ya to chase some elk! Gorgeous animals!

Offline scudmaster

• Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:30 PM »
Great work Cab.  If it has not already been said, as you start to stabilize in the pack weight, I would add off trail hiking.  The range of motion and core strength needed for balance for off trail to me gets closer to hunting situations.  Keep it up and build slow to avoid any more possible injuries.
NRA Life Member
Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline Stein

• Sourdough
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »

That's what I do, why pack food that takes up space and time and then you have to pack out trash.  Just pre-eat for your activity.

In all seriousness, becoming fat adapted has worked wonders for me.  I can eat or not eat and it doesn't make a huge difference and the blood sugar crashes, hitting the wall and all that fun are pretty much things of the past.

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

Nosler accubond 300 wsm 180gn ammo by shootem
[Today at 11:10:00 PM]

Why so many Tikka rifle's for sale by huntnphool
[Today at 11:08:52 PM]

Samish river by Night goat
[Today at 10:51:07 PM]

H-W $100 Lotto "Enter Free" by csaaphill
[Today at 10:45:27 PM]

Owl by tchoutacabouffa
[Today at 10:34:31 PM]

Wapiti Wednesday by Skillet
[Today at 10:33:15 PM]

John Deere Tractor by wolfbait
[Today at 10:31:21 PM]

FS:complete reloading system! by finnman
[Today at 10:22:31 PM]

Puyallup River pinks by Crunchy
[Today at 10:20:07 PM]

300000+ Atlantic salmon released after pen break by STIKNSTRINGBOW
[Today at 10:18:44 PM]

Glock 20 Thoughts? by CAMPMEAT
[Today at 10:18:02 PM]

Pop up blinds by emac
[Today at 10:13:33 PM]

NE bear hunting question by JL
[Today at 09:46:42 PM]

Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 & 7200 w/ Frame & Suspension by SirSpencer
[Today at 09:31:03 PM]

FS Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 and 5200 by jrebel
[Today at 09:13:47 PM]

Logging activity by fishnfur
[Today at 09:11:05 PM]

Texture by NOCK NOCK
[Today at 08:49:51 PM]

WTS- Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight- .300 Weatherby Magnum w/ Leupold scope by deerhuntr4885
[Today at 08:49:45 PM]

Looking for someone to make a custom leather rifle sling by Gamblin Guy
[Today at 08:49:44 PM]

Kydex sheath maker? by Okanagan
[Today at 08:45:47 PM]